Alan Smithee

Default Rebuilding Cordless Drill Battery Pack

I want to rebuild my cordless drill's battery pack. I need 15 sub c cells
1.2 volt (18volts/1.2=15). My old drill took NiCads but I thought I'd
upgrade them to NiMH. The charger is one of those dumb chargers, hopefully
it just takes longer to charger the NiMHs. BTW, how do you solder the
suckers together? Last time I tried to solder a battery I couldn't get the
end to take tin. Also, is there a decent mailorder battery place someone
could recommend. Geez, you do a search for batteries on the internet and it
almost like searching for p*rn with the number of flaky sites that come up.
Thx.

chester

Geez, you do a search for batteries on the internet and it
almost like searching for p*rn with the number of flaky sites that come up.
Thx.

True story...
SQLit

"Alan Smithee" wrote in message
I want to rebuild my cordless drill's battery pack. I need 15 sub c cells
1.2 volt (18volts/1.2=15). My old drill took NiCads but I thought I'd
upgrade them to NiMH. The charger is one of those dumb chargers, hopefully
it just takes longer to charger the NiMHs. BTW, how do you solder the
suckers together? Last time I tried to solder a battery I couldn't get the
end to take tin. Also, is there a decent mailorder battery place someone
could recommend. Geez, you do a search for batteries on the internet and

it
almost like searching for p*rn with the number of flaky sites that come

up.
Thx.

www.batteriesplus.com

Check the site for a location near you. I have had them rebuild many
batteries, even build a power source for my video camera. I just had a 18 v
dewalt rebuilt in a week for $64 and it came with a 6 month guarantee.

I do not do well soldering on sensitive connections.

Tekkie®

Alan Smithee posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

I want to rebuild my cordless drill's battery pack. I need 15 sub c cells
1.2 volt (18volts/1.2=15). My old drill took NiCads but I thought I'd
upgrade them to NiMH. The charger is one of those dumb chargers, hopefully
it just takes longer to charger the NiMHs. BTW, how do you solder the
suckers together? Last time I tried to solder a battery I couldn't get the
end to take tin. Also, is there a decent mailorder battery place someone
could recommend. Geez, you do a search for batteries on the internet and it
almost like searching for p*rn with the number of flaky sites that come up.
Thx.

Will your existing charger handle the change in chemistry? probably not...
--

Tekkie
Eugene Nine

Alan Smithee wrote:

I want to rebuild my cordless drill's battery pack. I need 15 sub c cells
1.2 volt (18volts/1.2=15). My old drill took NiCads but I thought I'd
upgrade them to NiMH. The charger is one of those dumb chargers, hopefully
it just takes longer to charger the NiMHs. BTW, how do you solder the
suckers together? Last time I tried to solder a battery I couldn't get the
end to take tin. Also, is there a decent mailorder battery place someone
could recommend. Geez, you do a search for batteries on the internet and
it almost like searching for p*rn with the number of flaky sites that come
up. Thx.

Try www.digi-key.com or www.mouser.com. They sell the cells plain and
tabbed and will spot weld the cells together for you.

Ron in NY

"Alan Smithee" wrote:

I want to rebuild my cordless drill's battery pack. I need 15 sub c cells
1.2 volt (18volts/1.2=15). My old drill took NiCads but I thought I'd
upgrade them to NiMH.

Try http://www.primecell.com/

They specialize in rebuilding your packs and conversions to NIMH. They install a
heat sensitive switch in the pack so you can use your existing charger. I have
had them rebuild many nicad packs as nimh and have had no problems.

RON
Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.
Fred

"Alan Smithee" wrote in message
I want to rebuild my cordless drill's battery pack. I need 15 sub c cells
1.2 volt (18volts/1.2=15). My old drill took NiCads but I thought I'd
upgrade them to NiMH. The charger is one of those dumb chargers, hopefully
it just takes longer to charger the NiMHs. BTW, how do you solder the
suckers together? Last time I tried to solder a battery I couldn't get the
end to take tin. Also, is there a decent mailorder battery place someone
could recommend. Geez, you do a search for batteries on the internet and
it
almost like searching for p*rn with the number of flaky sites that come
up.
Thx.

Spot weld from factory but I didn't have any problem soldering the batteries
together. Also try ebay as you may be able to buy a new battery pack cheaper
than rebuilds. Make sure they use good batteries, Panasonics for example.

Charging NiMH on a NiCad charger, I don't know. I've done it with individual
cells ok but I heard from other people that NiCad charger don't work as the
tolerance on the NiMH is more demanding - I have no experience in this with
the power packs.