Percival P. Cassidy

Default Steel Entrance door -- plastic moulding/glass retainer

Our house has double steel entrance doors with large areas of glass.
What I thought was simply a wooden trim moulding around the glass and
was cracked turns out to be some kind of hard plastic that is held in
place by screws through a similar moulding on the inside of the door.
Together these mouldings hold the glass in place.

I have no idea who made the doors. Is this moulding likely to be some
standard item that I can buy somewhere and cut to length, or do I have
to track down the door manufacturer (if still in business)? The house is
about 30 years old, and I assume that the doors are original.

Perce
SQLit

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
Our house has double steel entrance doors with large areas of glass.
What I thought was simply a wooden trim moulding around the glass and
was cracked turns out to be some kind of hard plastic that is held in
place by screws through a similar moulding on the inside of the door.
Together these mouldings hold the glass in place.

I have no idea who made the doors. Is this moulding likely to be some
standard item that I can buy somewhere and cut to length, or do I have
to track down the door manufacturer (if still in business)? The house is
about 30 years old, and I assume that the doors are original.

Perce

I seriously doubt that you will find the molding anywhere but the
manufacture. I do not remember steel doors on residential 30 years ago. My
guess the doors are of a much later manufacture.

I bought some steel French doors from Lowes. Same basic construction as you
describe. I decided since I did not want to cut the block wall for the
doggie door. I would take out one of the vent windows next to the door, the
width was perfect. I located the manufacture and asked if they would custom
build a side light for me... NO was the answer. I asked if they would sell
me a side light window.. "HELL NO was the answer. We are in the business to
make door sets we do not sell parts and pieces". I asked to speak to the
management. They hung up on me.

Good luck, might be time to consider a front door replacement.

Colbyt

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
Our house has double steel entrance doors with large areas of glass.
What I thought was simply a wooden trim moulding around the glass and
was cracked turns out to be some kind of hard plastic that is held in
place by screws through a similar moulding on the inside of the door.
Together these mouldings hold the glass in place.

I have no idea who made the doors. Is this moulding likely to be some
standard item that I can buy somewhere and cut to length, or do I have
to track down the door manufacturer (if still in business)? The house is
about 30 years old, and I assume that the doors are original.

Perce

They might be original. They were being made and sold then. I actually
recall seeing them on a house built about 1970.

Today the glass sizes are standardized on 32 and 36" doors. You might be
able to use a molding from another door but I tend to agree with SQLit it
will most likely be easier and just about as cheap to change out the doors.
Parts if you can find them will most likely be about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of
new prehung doors. The weather striping is also better on the more modern
version.

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
Our house has double steel entrance doors with large areas of glass.
What I thought was simply a wooden trim moulding around the glass and
was cracked turns out to be some kind of hard plastic that is held in
place by screws through a similar moulding on the inside of the door.
Together these mouldings hold the glass in place.

I have no idea who made the doors. Is this moulding likely to be some
standard item that I can buy somewhere and cut to length, or do I have
to track down the door manufacturer (if still in business)? The house is
about 30 years old, and I assume that the doors are original.

Perce

Greetings,

Have you considered removing the trim and somehow using glue to fix the
crack? There are glues which are stronger than the original moulding
if you use them correctly.

Hope this helps,
William

ameijers

" wrote in message
oups.com...

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
Our house has double steel entrance doors with large areas of glass.
What I thought was simply a wooden trim moulding around the glass and
was cracked turns out to be some kind of hard plastic that is held in
place by screws through a similar moulding on the inside of the door.
Together these mouldings hold the glass in place.

I have no idea who made the doors. Is this moulding likely to be some
standard item that I can buy somewhere and cut to length, or do I have
to track down the door manufacturer (if still in business)? The house is
about 30 years old, and I assume that the doors are original.

Perce

In most cases, they actually hold the glass in the door, not just hold it in
place. If it is a name-brand door, any glass shop or Real Lumberyard (not a
big-box) should be able to order a replacement. If you can remove the whole
window assembly and carry it in, that would be easiest. Just tape a piece of
cardboard over the hole. As to brand of door- look on hinges, look for foil
sticker on bottom of door, look on threshold rub strip. Some are labeled,
some are not.

aem sends....

Percival P. Cassidy

On 09/05/05 06:23 pm ameijers tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

[...]

OK, I found the name: they are "Pease" doors, the company is still in
business, and they do sell replacement rims (as they call them).
However, they recommend replacing the whole glass/rim assembly, and they
are not cheap: $199 each for plain glass, whereas ours are somewhat fancier.

Although the glazing does seem to have leaked (moisture sometimes
evident between the layers), I think that as an interim measure I will
follow the other guy's suggestion and just try gluing the old (t)rims
back together -- and use a good caulking compound when I put everything
together again.

Perce

Bench Vise Questions (Steel vs. Iron) x Metalworking 2 September 1st 03 05:50 PM
What oil do I use to 'Temper' steel? john Metalworking 16 August 6th 03 04:07 PM
Plastering onto steel Frank Z UK diy 9 July 31st 03 02:18 PM
blue steel for carving tools? Bob Swinney Metalworking 7 July 17th 03 02:39 AM
Knife Steel FAQ updated Gunner Metalworking 9 June 27th 03 12:11 AM