Buck Turgidson

Default How Do I Repair a Dipping Outdoor Faucet?

Given this photo, how do I repair a drip? It is a quite old faucet. Do I
remove the round handle and packing nut directly underneath? Then what?
Do I replace the step, or is there a washer under there? Thanks for any
help. I am plumbing-challenged.

http://jcman.hostingisfree.com/faucet.jpg

Bill

Yes, turn off water, losen the nut and open/unscrew round handle at same
time. Should be a washer. Take removed valve to hardware store so you can
get a new washer which fits properly.

That will fix it 95% of the time...

Sometimes there is a "rough surface" on the "seat" or the spot inside the
faucet where the washer presses against. Feel it with your finger tip to be
sure it is smooth. If rough, use a little sandpaper to smooth it. Then
clean off with water (turn water on for a second). If there is a rough
surface, it will damage the new washer and begin leaking again soon.

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
Given this photo, how do I repair a drip? It is a quite old faucet. Do

remove the round handle and packing nut directly underneath? Then what?
Do I replace the step, or is there a washer under there? Thanks for any
help. I am plumbing-challenged.

http://jcman.hostingisfree.com/faucet.jpg

Buck Turgidson

Thanks. That should say "stem", not "step".

Do I replace the step, or is there a washer under there?

FDR

Given this photo, how do I repair a drip? It is a quite old faucet. Do I
remove the round handle and packing nut directly underneath? Then what?
Do I replace the step, or is there a washer under there? Thanks for any
help. I am plumbing-challenged.

http://jcman.hostingisfree.com/faucet.jpg

Where is the drip from? If it come from the stem, then it could either be
the stem washer or the faucet needs a little tightening. If it's not from
the stem, then it's the valve gasket.

Sacramento Dave

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
Given this photo, how do I repair a drip? It is a quite old faucet. Do I
remove the round handle and packing nut directly underneath? Then what?
Do I replace the step, or is there a washer under there? Thanks for any
help. I am plumbing-challenged.

http://jcman.hostingisfree.com/faucet.jpg

If your going to go to all the trouble to fix it , If your turning the

water off, just replace the whole thing . Then every part will be new. If
its dripping out of the hose connection you could just put a cap on it ( a
cap for a hose bib)