Default How do I put in cable outlet box in the wall?

Should I run the wires through the crawl space or through the attic?
How do I get the wires down the wall to the hole I have to drill in the
wall? Thanks for any help.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

Should I run the wires through the crawl space or through the attic?

What would be easier? Whee do yo want to mount the box? Above or below the
fire stops ithe wall? If it is going to be below, it will be easier to go
up from the bottom.

How do I get the wires down the wall to the hole I have to drill in the
wall? Thanks for any help.

Put the wire into the drilled hole while your helper looks for it through
the hole cut for hte box. Snag with with a coathanger bent to make a hook.

barbarow

Measure carefully and locate the headers directly above where you want to
drop your cable then drill a hole about 1/2 inch in diameter and drop a
string with a nail on it or use a wire clothes hanger and push it down
through the hole until you can see or feel it through the opening in the
wall .

Attach the cable and pull it down and out the hole in the wall.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Should I run the wires through the crawl space or through the attic?
How do I get the wires down the wall to the hole I have to drill in the
wall? Thanks for any help.

keith

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 20:16:46 -0700, needin4mation wrote:

Should I run the wires through the crawl space or through the attic?
How do I get the wires down the wall to the hole I have to drill in the
wall? Thanks for any help.

Either way. In addition to the other's suggestions here, I've used a
specialty drill bit to fish wires (in my case cable and CAT-5). They make
a *long* flexible shaft drill bit for this purpose too. One cuts a hole
for an "old wiring box" and inserts the bit into that hole and drills up
or down, as the case may be. The "plan" is then to hook a mesh widget
around the bit, tie a fish-line to the eyelet at the end of the mesh
thingy, and pull the fish-line back with the bit. The latter part didn't
work so well for me though. I used a fish-tape to find the hole and snake
the line back up. The drill bit worked like a champ though. I bought a
4' one at the BORG for about $20.

--
Keith

Thanks. I figured for the actual hole in the wall I might use a key
hole saw and cut the circle and then cut the square for the square box
and plate. Maybe I should just drill a hole in the floor.

keith

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 07:50:13 -0700, needin4mation wrote:

Thanks. I figured for the actual hole in the wall I might use a key
hole saw and cut the circle and then cut the square for the square box
and plate. Maybe I should just drill a hole in the floor.

Cutting a hole in the wall (sheetrock, anyway) is relatively easy. I
don't particularly like keyhole saws because they tend to be a bit on the
coarse side. I've used saber saws with metal (24-32 TPI) blades with musc
success. I now use a Roto-Zip. ;-) BTW, "old wiring" boxes come with a
paper template to get the hole right. Make sure it's in the one you get
(sometimes the fall out).

--
Keith

Mains cable behind wall antgel UK diy 7 May 22nd 05 08:03 PM
Plug In To Wall Outlet GFCI Avail. ? Robert11 Home Repair 5 April 28th 05 01:40 AM
How to Run Network Cable in an Old House? w_tom Home Repair 22 May 13th 04 05:09 PM
Installing a cable jack in underground basement Dirty Tleilaxu Home Repair 5 January 22nd 04 01:05 AM
Flex outlet for wall light Martin Pentreath UK diy 7 September 20th 03 01:35 AM