5/8" vs 1/2" Sheetrock/Blueboard

Old August 31st 05, 05:46 PM
Joe

Default 5/8" vs 1/2" Sheetrock/Blueboard

I am renovating an 1870s house in MA and started by gutting a small
bedroom on the 2nd floor. After insulating, I plan to install blueboard
with veneer plaster. I have read DIY books, Building codes and these
discussion groups but I cant figure out whether I need 5/8" or 1/2"
blueboard. I guess it depends on local building codes and where the
room is located, but I am wondering what the rule of thumb is? 1/2"
blueboard is readily available, while I would need to go to a
commercial dealer to get 5/8". Which brings up another
question....does 1/2" blueboard/sheetrock plus the 1/8" veneer count as
the 5/8? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Old August 31st 05, 05:56 PM
SQLit

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am renovating an 1870s house in MA and started by gutting a small
bedroom on the 2nd floor. After insulating, I plan to install blueboard
with veneer plaster. I have read DIY books, Building codes and these
discussion groups but I cant figure out whether I need 5/8" or 1/2"
blueboard. I guess it depends on local building codes and where the
room is located, but I am wondering what the rule of thumb is? 1/2"
blueboard is readily available, while I would need to go to a
commercial dealer to get 5/8". Which brings up another
question....does 1/2" blueboard/sheetrock plus the 1/8" veneer count as
the 5/8? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Where I live 5/8 is used on both sides of a wall for a fire wall. Like
between the garage and the home.

1/2 is used for all other applications. Unless your local authority has a
requirement for "blue board" I would only use it when it was near water or
high humidity, like the kitchen or bathroom.

No half inch with a coat of plaster is not considered 5/8 where I live.

Best check with the building gurus where you live.

Old August 31st 05, 06:08 PM
Joe

Thanks...that helps! I have heard of using 5/8" between a garage and
home...what are other places where a "fire-wall" is required?

Old August 31st 05, 06:12 PM
G Henslee

SQLit wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Note: The IRC allows 1/2" now instead of 5/8" on a firewall. However
your state may not have adopted the IBC yet.

Old August 31st 05, 06:14 PM
G Henslee

Joe wrote:
I am renovating an 1870s house in MA and started by gutting a small
bedroom on the 2nd floor. After insulating, I plan to install blueboard
with veneer plaster. I have read DIY books, Building codes and these
discussion groups but I cant figure out whether I need 5/8" or 1/2"
blueboard. I guess it depends on local building codes and where the
room is located, but I am wondering what the rule of thumb is? 1/2"
blueboard is readily available, while I would need to go to a
commercial dealer to get 5/8". Which brings up another
question....does 1/2" blueboard/sheetrock plus the 1/8" veneer count as
the 5/8? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Your post doesn't indicate why you think you need 5/8". 1/2" should suffice.

Also, here's an excellent primer about wallboard(s) and the reason why
blueboard *should* be used for your veneer.

http://www.wconline.com/CDA/ArticleI...,83959,00.html
Old August 31st 05, 10:24 PM
SQLit

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks...that helps! I have heard of using 5/8" between a garage and
home...what are other places where a "fire-wall" is required?

In a residence? No other areas that I am aware of. Speaking about single
family detached housing.

Old September 1st 05, 01:09 AM
Prometheus

On 31 Aug 2005 10:08:42 -0700, "Joe" wrote:

Thanks...that helps! I have heard of using 5/8" between a garage and
home...what are other places where a "fire-wall" is required?

Boiler room (if you've got one) and some types of furnace rooms. This
might just be for rental properties, though.
Old September 1st 05, 05:32 AM
Harry K

G Henslee wrote:
Joe wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that. Scratching around in the back of my mind was a vague
recollection that 5/8 rock is required on ceilings. Last time I had
need for that was over 30 years ago. I see I was right but that there
is a 1/2" product that is a 5/8 equivalent.

Harry K

Old September 2nd 05, 04:45 PM
Joe

Thanks for all the info!