dean

Default Should you oil or grease a garage door opener chain?

Or does that promote dust collection and gunging up?

THX!

Dean

User Example

dean wrote:
Or does that promote dust collection and gunging up?

It needs some lube and yes it will cause some dust to cling but that is
better than no lube and it isn't that much. When you oil it, wipe it
down with a rag first.
Edwin Pawlowski

"User Example" wrote in message

When you oil it, wipe it down with a rag first.

And last. You want the oil in the moving parts but try to get the excess
off the outer parts to minimize the dust.

dean

So thanks! What to do, grease or oil?

Bob S.

dean wrote:
So thanks! What to do, grease or oil?

An old rule: If it turns, use oil. If it slides, use grease.
Chain links turn.

dean

Excellent phrase! Thanks

ToddWiedeman

You might try motorcycle chain lube, it seems to work for me without
gumming things up
On 30 Aug 2005 17:24:07 -0700, "dean" wrote:

Or does that promote dust collection and gunging up?

THX!

Dean

FDR

"User Example" wrote in message
. ..
dean wrote:
Or does that promote dust collection and gunging up?

It needs some lube and yes it will cause some dust to cling but that is
better than no lube and it isn't that much. When you oil it, wipe it down
with a rag first.

Bicycle chain lubricant with teflon will resist attracting dirt.

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Bob S. wrote:
dean wrote:

So thanks! What to do, grease or oil?

An old rule: If it turns, use oil. If it slides, use grease.
Chain links turn.

Never heard that before. Interesting. Ill try not to overanalyze it

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

Tony Hwang

dean wrote:
Or does that promote dust collection and gunging up?

THX!

Dean

Hi,
I used to spray Liquid Wrench sparingly. It contains Teflon.
Tony

Garage Door Parts, LLC

http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/hi-tek.html

"dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
Or does that promote dust collection and gunging up?

THX!

Dean

nospambob

I lube the hinges in the sectional door annually when the opener drive
screw gets greased. Neighbor had the old door fall on the car as un
oiled pivot point wore through and door dropped.

On 30 Aug 2005 19:27:34 -0700, "Bob S." wrote:

dean wrote:
So thanks! What to do, grease or oil?

An old rule: If it turns, use oil. If it slides, use grease.
Chain links turn.

Ross Richardson

I oil! I greased a screw drive once and when the temperature got real
cold, even in the garage, the opener would not function properly. Not
knowing what to do, I had called in a repairman. He said never to use
grease. I even oil the torsion springs. The even make a special spray
oil for the rollers, chains, etc. The repainman gave me a can.

Regards, Ross