jay

Default SKYLIGHTS: Choice of flat glass or plastic dome

I live in a condo with two 2x4 skylights. My sloped roof is being replaced
soon, and I'm given a choice of either flat or dome. The cost is almost the
same, with the domed ones slightly less expensive.

The dome is said to be manufactured by Thermo-Vu, which was taken over by
Velux last January. The flat is made by Velux itself.

The main benefits with going with bubble plastic:

1) I'm led to believe that the inner frame is already colored white, so I
would not need to arrange to have the association come inside the condo to
paint the inner frames (which are well out of my reach even with my ladder).

2) Since these skylights are in bathrooms, I'm concerned about mold and
mildew due to condensation when taking showers (which happens even with the
fan running). I'm led to belive that these skylights do NOT have a wooden
frame, so there would be no worry about moisture
from shower condensation damaging the wooden frame.

3) supposedly domed units are quieter when it rains and these bathrooms are
close to rooms I work and sleep in

4) Domed supposedly get less exterior dirt accumulation than flat (and I
would never be able to go up on the roof to clean the skylight).

5) Snow won't pile up on domed the way it does on flat. Not too worried
about this, though, since these are, after all, installed above bathrooms
and they also face the south.

The benefits of flat glass:

1) Said to be more durable than plastic, but the plan is to replace the
skylights again when another roof is put on in 20 years. (maybe the
durability issue is only a concern if I'm going to be here more than 5
years)

2) Said to be more energy efficient than plastic (but I don't know the exact
specs of either the flat or the domed)

By the way, One website even claims that plastic domed skylights are not
completely sealed. I'd like to know what they mean by that, since they have
to be in order to prevent water leakage.

3) glass won't fade or deteriorate over time (but may get more dirt
accumulation than domed)

Which of the two do you think I should choose? Would I be crazy to go with
domed to avoid the hassle of arranging to paint the interior frame, to avoid
potential mold/mildew problems of a wooden inner frame?

By the way, is any one of the two (flat or domed) more prone to leakage?

Thanks,

J.

jay

Funny how the subject wound up looking like an ad.

J.

jay

Funny how the subject wound up looking like an ad.

J.

calhoun

"jay" wrote in message
[...]

No brainer - glass.

I had plastic it scratches, yellows, and leaks. You would need to replace it
when roofing again.

I see no reason why you would have to replace a Velux skylight when
installing a new roof. Much nicer unit.

Frank Boettcher

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:36:00 GMT, "jay" wrote:

[...]

I have three velux skylights, two ten years old and one five years
old. Perfect. No leaks, no discoloration. Used their flashing kits.
Reroofed the house and left the ten year old units in without
incident.

Guy around the corner had (emphasis on had) two of those plastic domed
units. Removed them after about eight years (along with several roof
sheathing panels that had rotted from the leakage).

nuff said.

Colbyt

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

I have three velux skylights, two ten years old and one five years
old. Perfect. No leaks, no discoloration. Used their flashing kits.
Reroofed the house and left the ten year old units in without
incident.

Guy around the corner had (emphasis on had) two of those plastic domed
units. Removed them after about eight years (along with several roof
sheathing panels that had rotted from the leakage).

nuff said.

I have to agree with Frank. I have 3 Velux skylights that are 10 years old.
Absolutely no problems in 10 years. I know people with the bubble guys who
have nothing but problems.

If you live on a golf course the glass can be replaced in the Velux units.
The domes must be replaced completely if damaged.

Colbyt

Are push fit plumbing fittings any good? Steve UK diy 75 September 3rd 05 02:56 PM
Living in an MDF universe Paul Hays Woodworking 19 April 11th 05 01:41 PM
FAQ: HAND TOOLS (Repost) Groggy Woodworking 0 January 16th 05 11:56 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 22nd 04 12:58 AM
Shower Glass Story Steve Gontarek UK diy 7 November 1st 03 11:34 AM