willshak

Default Question about installing gutters

On 8/28/2005 11:40 AM US(ET), Jack Fuller took fingers to keys, and
typed the following:

I'm installing aluminum gutters on my house. It's my first try at
this and I have a problem.

I've put up the first inside miter box and connected to the gutters
with slip-in connectors. I've already bolted it to the facia board
and hate to take it down.

My problem is the connectors leak when I pour water in it to test. I
first used the tube type gutter sealant and am now trying the
tape-peel on type. it's still leaking.

Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

I don't know what type gutters and connectors you are using, but if the
connectors are the two piece type that are riveted together, put a bead
of caulk into the slot between the two pieces before sticking the gutter
or corner pieces into it. Wipe off any excess afterwards.

--
Bill
RicodJour

Jack Fuller wrote:
I'm installing aluminum gutters on my house. It's my first try at
this and I have a problem.

I've put up the first inside miter box and connected to the gutters
with slip-in connectors. I've already bolted it to the facia board
and hate to take it down.

My problem is the connectors leak when I pour water in it to test. I
first used the tube type gutter sealant and am now trying the
tape-peel on type. it's still leaking.

Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

It's more of a problem to successfully seal a leaking gutter that's
already in place. I'd take it down and reseal the joint. Apply the
sealant liberally and wipe off the stuff that squeezes out.

Rudy

My problem is the connectors leak when I pour water in it to test. I
first used the tube type gutter sealant and am now trying the
tape-peel on type. it's still leaking.

The norm around here is to hang your gutter, then seal ALL the joints with
caulk from the inside (no caulk is visible from the outside)

No

I know this is probably too late for you but others may find this
interesting...

When I needed gutters all around on my house I priced out the materials from
lowes, HD, etc. I then called in 3 companies to give estimates. believe it
or not having seamless gutters installed, in a color that matched my pain
scheme, was CHEAPER that buying the stuff for DIY!!!

I had the same experience with insulation on an addition to my house (I was
building it my self). I got some quotes from insulation guys and priced it
out my self from suppliers. Installed, in 1/2 day, by a pro was a few
dollars cheaper than my materials cost. Plus it was done in 1/2 day versus a
day or two to do it myself!

I have installed cutters myself and I'm capable. Its just some things are so
darn cheap to contract out. Or, is it the other way, the big chains have
marked up the prices of some materials soo much that the DIYs are getting
screwed?

Here is a fun one - Price out 1 cubic yard of concrete. Price it out at
Lowes and HD. You can buy any size bag they sell. What did you come up with?
Now call you local concrete guy. What does he charge, delivered (wet of
course)?

There are many more examples where DIYs are getting screwed but I digress
too much.

"Jack Fuller" wrote in message

I'm installing aluminum gutters on my house. It's my first try at
this and I have a problem.

I've put up the first inside miter box and connected to the gutters
with slip-in connectors. I've already bolted it to the facia board
and hate to take it down.

My problem is the connectors leak when I pour water in it to test. I
first used the tube type gutter sealant and am now trying the
tape-peel on type. it's still leaking.

Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

blueman

"No" writes:
[...]

I would be curious to know where you live. Here in the Northeast, the
price of labor is so high (especially in the upper middle class
suburbs , that I can't imagine that DIY gutters or insulation would
be cheaper than installed.

TP

No wrote:
[...]

I agree. Don’t waste your time installing gutters. I just had
new ones installed, 2.50$ per foot. Done, forget about it. …

And they are seamless long lengths, nice pitch, I didn’t have to
go to the box store and search through pieces and parts.

TP