Sealing a hardwood floor around the tub

Old August 24th 05, 09:02 PM
[email protected]

Default Sealing a hardwood floor around the tub

I installed hardwood floor in my bathroom. It's an Oak floating floor.
The bathroom has a fiberglass tub/shower combination. Where the
hardwood hits the tub, there is a small 1/4" gap, and I want to seal it
to keep water from getting under the floor when a person exits the tub.
I was thinking of a generous amount of silicon caulk in the gap,
completely filling it, and then covered with Cove molding attched to
the tub with adhesive.

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks

Old August 24th 05, 09:54 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
oups.com...
I installed hardwood floor in my bathroom. It's an Oak floating floor.
The bathroom has a fiberglass tub/shower combination. Where the
hardwood hits the tub, there is a small 1/4" gap, and I want to seal it
to keep water from getting under the floor when a person exits the tub.
I was thinking of a generous amount of silicon caulk in the gap,
completely filling it, and then covered with Cove molding attched to
the tub with adhesive.

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks

I don't like the molding idea, just because wood doesn't fare well in places
like that. But, at least if you tried it and hated it, it would be
removable. Sort of.

Old August 24th 05, 11:31 PM
[email protected]

Well I figure if a board got wet and swelled up, I can easily snap in
another one, but they need a lot of water on them for a long time for
it to penetrate enough to cause swelling, so I'm not worried.

Old August 25th 05, 01:38 AM
[email protected]

Usually the area where the shower meets the floor is just sealed with
bathroom caulk made for that purpose.