Default Residing Garage questions

I'm considering residing my garage. It is detached with dimensions of
approximatly 20x26'. Currently it has a masonite type fiberboard
siding. The 4x8 sheets are begining to fail around the bottom edge
due to rain/sprinkler splash.

Can I just cover this up with new siding, or do I need to take it off?

I like the look of hardi plank, but it seems brittle and hard to work
with. Are there any engineered wood products that have similar
durability?

Thinking about acquiring a nail gun for this project. It will
probably get little use afterward. I assume I'll need a framing
nailer. Is that correct?

Suggestions appreciated.

Roger Taylor

wrote in message
I'm considering residing my garage. It is detached with dimensions of
approximatly 20x26'. Currently it has a masonite type fiberboard
siding. The 4x8 sheets are begining to fail around the bottom edge
due to rain/sprinkler splash.

Can I just cover this up with new siding, or do I need to take it off?

I like the look of hardi plank, but it seems brittle and hard to work
with. Are there any engineered wood products that have similar
durability?

Thinking about acquiring a nail gun for this project. It will
probably get little use afterward. I assume I'll need a framing
nailer. Is that correct?

Before you tear off the masonite, you might check to see if it is the
product that was subject to recall and free replacement, due to
nonwaterproof glue and warping, 12-15 years ago, or more. I forget the
brand, but there is recourse for some brands. Perhaps others can recall
which companies they were.

Ranieri

wrote in message
[...]

Yes, there was a class action settlement - search masonite class action for
some good info. There are deadlines to claim and ways to verify that your
siding is covered. Here's a good start point:
http://www.masoniteclaims.com/

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:41:00 GMT, User Example

I'm considering residing my garage. It is detached with dimensions of
approximatly 20x26'. Currently it has a masonite type fiberboard
siding. The 4x8 sheets are begining to fail around the bottom edge
due to rain/sprinkler splash.

Can I just cover this up with new siding, or do I need to take it off?

I like the look of hardi plank, but it seems brittle and hard to work
with. Are there any engineered wood products that have similar
durability?

Thinking about acquiring a nail gun for this project. It will
probably get little use afterward. I assume I'll need a framing
nailer. Is that correct?

Suggestions appreciated.

I don't know if it is OK to leave the old stuff on there so I won't even
guess. However, removing it and then insulating the garage walls and
adding a Tyvek vapor barrier might help keep it cooler in these hot
months. It's just a thought.

I have used hardi plank and I don't share your concerns with it. It's
actually easy to work with and has a 50 year warranty. I recommend it
but I would love to hear about better alternatives.

If you don't need a nail gun after this project then consider renting
one. Sometimes the rental prices make it almost worth buying though.
But I do recommend at least looking into it.

I am hoping to avoid the demo work of taking down the existing siding.
Except for a few spots it is structurally sound and holding paint
well. I could Tyvek over it as an improved vapor barrier, There is
no wall insulation. I also remain concerned that the Hardie is more
brittle than wood products (I've seen where a kids skateboard punched
a hole in a sheet of siding), and the backer would seem to help that
issue.

At the speed I generally work I may as well buy the gun as rent.