Default Secure (tamper proof) thermostat?

I was just wondering if there were any tamper proof thermostats widely
available for residential use? I'm talking about possibly a digital
readout that would require a code so that others cannot alter the
settings. Please post any links or info, Thanks!

FDR

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was just wondering if there were any tamper proof thermostats widely
available for residential use? I'm talking about possibly a digital
readout that would require a code so that others cannot alter the
settings. Please post any links or info, Thanks!

They do sell locks to place over the meter. Used to use them when we had
tenants.

FDR wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I was just wondering if there were any tamper proof thermostats widely
available for residential use? I'm talking about possibly a digital
readout that would require a code so that others cannot alter the
settings. Please post any links or info, Thanks!

They do sell locks to place over the meter. Used to use them when we had
tenants.

Greetings,

The locks don't work as well as you might think because they invite
tampering. They do work to keep honest people honest but most tenants
don't fall into that category.

William

PS: How do you tamper with one?

a) pry it from the drywall if it isn't screwed into a stud, put it back
when you are done
b) open it by trying a number of different keys until one jiggles it
open
c) drill a smale hole in the side and use a paper-clip to adjust the
"slide-bar"
d) shine a bright light on it in summer to make the AC come on
e) Peltier Junctions are my favorite but you don't have to worry about
most tenants using them

Bob Vaughan

In article ,
FDR wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
I was just wondering if there were any tamper proof thermostats widely
available for residential use? I'm talking about possibly a digital
readout that would require a code so that others cannot alter the
settings. Please post any links or info, Thanks!

They do sell locks to place over the meter. Used to use them when we had
tenants.

what sort of tenants? If it is a roommate/shared housing situation,
then cooperation is in order to find a mutually agreeable temprature.

If its not a shared housing situation, what gives you the right to
dictate the temprature of your tenants living quarters?

Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --
FDR

"Bob Vaughan" wrote in message
In article ,
FDR wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...
I was just wondering if there were any tamper proof thermostats widely
available for residential use? I'm talking about possibly a digital
readout that would require a code so that others cannot alter the
settings. Please post any links or info, Thanks!

They do sell locks to place over the meter. Used to use them when we had
tenants.

what sort of tenants? If it is a roommate/shared housing situation,
then cooperation is in order to find a mutually agreeable temprature.

If its not a shared housing situation, what gives you the right to
dictate the temprature of your tenants living quarters?

The law here says what the minimum heating temperature is.

Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --

FDR

" wrote in message
oups.com...

FDR wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I was just wondering if there were any tamper proof thermostats widely
available for residential use? I'm talking about possibly a digital
readout that would require a code so that others cannot alter the
settings. Please post any links or info, Thanks!

They do sell locks to place over the meter. Used to use them when we had
tenants.

Greetings,

The locks don't work as well as you might think because they invite
tampering. They do work to keep honest people honest but most tenants
don't fall into that category.

Well, we never had any tampering.

William

PS: How do you tamper with one?

a) pry it from the drywall if it isn't screwed into a stud, put it back
when you are done
b) open it by trying a number of different keys until one jiggles it
open
c) drill a smale hole in the side and use a paper-clip to adjust the
"slide-bar"
d) shine a bright light on it in summer to make the AC come on
e) Peltier Junctions are my favorite but you don't have to worry about
most tenants using them

ameijers wrote:
" wrote in message
ups.com...
wrote:
I was just wondering if there were any tamper proof thermostats widely
available for residential use? I'm talking about possibly a digital
readout that would require a code so that others cannot alter the
settings. Please post any links or info, Thanks!

Greetings,

I had this same problem and here is how I solved it.

a) purchase 2 $10 digital thermostats
b) install one of the new thermostates INSIDE THE WALL where the
existing thermostat is wired to the heater
c) patch the wall
d) install the other thermostat, a dummy, with dummy wires running to
it in front

Don't most digital thermostats have batteries in them to maintain memory?

I suspect the batteries are required for the thermostats you mention to
operate but that the settings are stored in eeprom.

Seal it in the wall, once battery dies, you are SOL.

a) use lithium batteries and it may last 10+ years
b) get the type that runs off wall current
c) use a ac-dc transformer in place of batteries

I agree with the other posters- teach the kid or other offender, or buy one
of those clear lock-boxes with the vents, to install around the thermostat.
Any wall-mount lock-box could be adapted, just drill enough holes for
venting, but the clear ones are slightly less ugly. Might have to go to a
real supply house, not the big-box, to find one. Or maybe if there is a
cover over the buttons, just devise some sort of lockout or seal for that.
If you are handy, you could even build a recessed cabinet into the stud
space, mount the 'stat in that, and put a locking glass door on the front,
like an old-time office fire alarm. Again, be sure to vent it, so the thing
gets a true reading of air temp.

If the offender is a tenant who is in the process of eviction wishing
to run up your utilities out of spite you won't be able to "teach
them". Again, vent holes are a good way to gain access to the unit
with a wire of some sort.

aem sends...

Hope this helps,
William

PS: If it is in fact your kids you do have bigger problems.

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

I was just wondering if there were any tamper proof thermostats widely
available for residential use? I'm talking about possibly a digital
readout that would require a code so that others cannot alter the
settings. Please post any links or info, Thanks!

www.white-rodgers.com They make several models that have a lockout
code. And I think there are 3 levels of security too like locked,
semi-locked, and unlocked. Also you can program it to turn fan on
continuously during certain time periods and work just with the heat or
a/c during others. different programming groups like 5+1+1, 5+2, and 7
days. Different program set for heat mode vs. ac mode. filter change
timer. I really dig this thing. I think it was ~$100, but you really
only buy such a thing once anyway...

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door() into
the sheepfold{}, but climbeth up some other *way, the same is a thief
and a robber."

GnuPG Key Fingerprint:
82A6 8893 C2A1 F64E A9AD 19AE 55B2 4CD7 80D2 0A2D

For a free Java interface to Freechess.org see
http://www.rigidsoftware.com/Chess/chess.html
Ken

I agree with the other posters- teach the kid or other offender, or buy one
of those clear lock-boxes with the vents, to install around the thermostat.
Any wall-mount lock-box could be adapted, just drill enough holes for
venting, but the clear ones are slightly less ugly. Might have to go to a
real supply house, not the big-box, to find one. Or maybe if there is a
cover over the buttons, just devise some sort of lockout or seal for that.
If you are handy, you could even build a recessed cabinet into the stud
space, mount the 'stat in that, and put a locking glass door on the front,
like an old-time office fire alarm. Again, be sure to vent it, so the thing
gets a true reading of air temp.

aem sends...

Reminds me of a story I heard where the tenants kept an ice pack on the
locked thermostat in the winter time to get the house to heat up more.
I suppose you could do the reverse with a small space heater blowing on
the thermostat in the summer to get the A/C to go colder.

Ken

Legend has it that one guy kept the peace in his family
by having two thermostats.
One was disconnected, in the living room for his wife to fool with.
The real thermostat was hidden away in a closet.

On 23 Aug 2005 19:22:39 -0700, "
wrote:

FDR wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

rj
Jim Yanik

"Ken" wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

Just wrap some Xmas tree lights around it,the older large-bulb sort.
Or place one of those halogen lamps near it!

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

FDR

"Ken" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Of course in time the condensation will ruin the lock and thermostat.

I suppose you could do the reverse with a small space heater blowing on
the thermostat in the summer to get the A/C to go colder.

Ken

Jack

Mine, Lux 1500 has what you are looking for. Regular residential
thermostat, but you can put a code on it.

Phil Yarbrough

How about a thermostat with a remote sensor? Lock the stat up in a secure
area and place remote sensor in area to be conditioned.

Bob Vaughan

In article ,
FDR wrote:

"Bob Vaughan" wrote in message
In article ,
FDR wrote:

wrote in message
egroups.com...
I was just wondering if there were any tamper proof thermostats widely
available for residential use? I'm talking about possibly a digital
readout that would require a code so that others cannot alter the
settings. Please post any links or info, Thanks!

They do sell locks to place over the meter. Used to use them when we had
tenants.

what sort of tenants? If it is a roommate/shared housing situation,
then cooperation is in order to find a mutually agreeable temprature.

If its not a shared housing situation, what gives you the right to
dictate the temprature of your tenants living quarters?

The law here says what the minimum heating temperature is.

What exactly does the law say?

I suspect it says something along the lines of "must be capable of
sustaining a temprature of XX degrees", not that you must force your
tenants to live at a temprature of XX degrees..

I know that If I was renting a property, and the landlord tried restricting
what temprature I could set the unit to, I would be complaining very
loudly until the issue was resolved. I would forcibly remove the
security cover if necessary.

If I am comfortable at 60 degrees, I am going to set the thermostat to
60 degrees.. ditto for 75 degrees..

I can see not wanting the temprature to drop below freezing, which can be
acomplished with a second thermostat set for a low limit, like 50 degrees,
in parallel with the first, but I can see no valid reason to restrict the
tenants choice of the temprature of their environment.

Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --

Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --
Harry K

Bob Vaughan wrote:
In article ,
FDR wrote:

"Bob Vaughan" wrote in message
In article ,
FDR wrote:

wrote in message
egroups.com...
[...]

As long as -you- are paying the energy bill, set it where you want. If
the landlord is paying it he has the right to dictate what is a
reasonable setting as long as it meets legal standards.

Harry K

FDR

FDR wrote:

"Bob Vaughan" wrote in message
In article ,
FDR wrote:

wrote in message
legroups.com...
[...]

It's been a while so I don't recall the exact temp., but it's to the effect
that the temperature can't be lower than 60 degrees. So the thermostat
get's set to xx degrees.

I know that If I was renting a property, and the landlord tried
restricting
what temprature I could set the unit to, I would be complaining very
loudly until the issue was resolved. I would forcibly remove the
security cover if necessary.

Well, this is the reason we don't rent anynore. You aren't the one paying
the heating bill. We are. If you think that you can set it to 90 and we
should lose money then you're mistaken.

If I am comfortable at 60 degrees, I am going to set the thermostat to
60 degrees.. ditto for 75 degrees..

I can see not wanting the temprature to drop below freezing, which can be
acomplished with a second thermostat set for a low limit, like 50 degrees,
in parallel with the first, but I can see no valid reason to restrict the
tenants choice of the temprature of their environment.

Money is one reason.

Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be
simpler? --

Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --

Thanks for the replies everyone!

The actual intent of the thermostat is to benefit my grandfather's
health. They have central air conditioning and he does not understand
that if he turns the system off, it takes all day to cool the house
again. He is suffering from a few health problems that go along with
his age (90), and we would like to keep the house climate as controlled
as possible since the heat definitely causes him problems.

I've searched a little more and will be checking the link or 2 posted
above. I've seen a few secure thermostats that range from about ~$80
to ~$300 so without a little more research, I'm not sure what we'll
decide on just yet.

P.S. it's not a *drastic* problem, it's just that when he messes with
the thermostat letting the house get up to 90, he's more or less
jeopardizing his health.

Jim Yanik

"Phil Yarbrough" wrote in
:

How about a thermostat with a remote sensor? Lock the stat up in a secure
area and place remote sensor in area to be conditioned.

That makes sense.
After all,it's just a tiny 2-wire thermistor that can be easily hidden.Most
are the size of a small seed.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Bob Vaughan

FDR wrote:

"Bob Vaughan" wrote in message
In article ,
FDR wrote:

wrote in message
glegroups.com...
[...]

My concern is being able to set the thermostat to a temperature that is
comfortable to me. If you are paying for utilities, and try locking the
thermostat, we are going to have problems.

If the temperature is too high, You are going to end up heating the
outdoors as I open windows to cool off. If it is too low (and we are not
talking 75+), you are going to be paying for the power to run the space
heaters necessary to keep the environment at a comfortable temperature.
Either way, you are going to be paying more than if you simply allowed me
to control my own environment.

For what it's worth, I tend to set my thermostat slightly lower than a lot of
people, and I like to turn it down when I go to bed. I have been in a
number of places where the temperature was set too high, and where it was
uncomfortably warm as a result. Paying to live in an environment that is
uncomfortable to me because the landlord won't allow me to control the
temperature is simply unacceptable, and grounds for complaint, and possible
legal action.

No, I don't like frost on the floor when I wake up, but nor do I like
sweating in bed because the room is too warm.

For the record, I do rent, and I pay the utility bill, and for most of the
year, we simply turn the furnace off, as it is not necessary. We don't
have A/C, so we open windows if it gets too warm.

It sounds like you do not have good relations with your tenants, and are
acting like a control freak as a result. I would suggest that good
communications might work better. If you implement draconian measures without
proper communication, do not be surprised when the tenants defeat those
measures, especially if they are unreasonable in the first place.

Note that there are ways of adding additional thermostats to act as limit
switches to limit minimum and maximum temperature, but those limits need to
be set to reasonable settings sufficient to prevent property damage,
or excessive energy use, without excessively limiting the tenants control
of their environment.

If you are offering to pay utilities as part of the rental contract, you
need to be willing to accept that some people like to live in different
environments than others, which means that some people are going to want
to set the thermostat higher than others. Setting the thermostat to the
absolute minumum is not what I consider to be a friendly action. If you
have problems with people heating the space to 95 degrees, install a
limiting sensor to restrict it to 75, or renegotiate the rental contract,
and have the tenant pay for their own utilities.

If I am comfortable at 60 degrees, I am going to set the thermostat to
60 degrees.. ditto for 75 degrees..

I can see not wanting the temprature to drop below freezing, which can be
acomplished with a second thermostat set for a low limit, like 50 degrees,
in parallel with the first, but I can see no valid reason to restrict the
tenants choice of the temprature of their environment.

Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --
Stormin Mormon

Earl Proulx the handyman had a solution for that. He put a second therm on
the baseboard behind the couch, set it, and left the other one unwired. You,
too, can do the same.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the replies everyone!

The actual intent of the thermostat is to benefit my grandfather's
health. They have central air conditioning and he does not understand
that if he turns the system off, it takes all day to cool the house
again. He is suffering from a few health problems that go along with
his age (90), and we would like to keep the house climate as controlled
as possible since the heat definitely causes him problems.

I've searched a little more and will be checking the link or 2 posted
above. I've seen a few secure thermostats that range from about ~$80
to ~$300 so without a little more research, I'm not sure what we'll
decide on just yet.

P.S. it's not a *drastic* problem, it's just that when he messes with
the thermostat letting the house get up to 90, he's more or less
jeopardizing his health.

FDR

FDR wrote:

"Bob Vaughan" wrote in message
In article ,
FDR wrote:

wrote in message
oglegroups.com...
[...]

And if I don't set it to the right minimum temp I get in trouble with the
law.

If it is too low (and we are not
talking 75+), you are going to be paying for the power to run the space
heaters necessary to keep the environment at a comfortable temperature.
Either way, you are going to be paying more than if you simply allowed me
to control my own environment.

It'setup that each apartment pays their own electricity. But there's only
one furnace, so you would pay us to supply thr hrat.

For what it's worth, I tend to set my thermostat slightly lower than a lot
of
people, and I like to turn it down when I go to bed.

There's a setting for day and night.

I have been in a
number of places where the temperature was set too high, and where it was
uncomfortably warm as a result. Paying to live in an environment that is
uncomfortable to me because the landlord won't allow me to control the
temperature is simply unacceptable, and grounds for complaint, and
possible
legal action.

You'd lose in my jurisdiction.

No, I don't like frost on the floor when I wake up, but nor do I like
sweating in bed because the room is too warm.

For the record, I do rent, and I pay the utility bill, and for most of the
year, we simply turn the furnace off, as it is not necessary. We don't
have A/C, so we open windows if it gets too warm.

It sounds like you do not have good relations with your tenants, and are
acting like a control freak as a result.

Actually, wen we rented we were on the low side of the rent scale. But
tenants like to take advantage of you...late payment, no payment, bringing
in extra apartment dwellers, ruining walls, carpets, being loud, skipping
out, you name it. And that's before the whole lock situation. Maybe you
live in tenant eutopia, but this was in a bad neighborhood and no daily
oversight.

I would suggest that good
communications might work better.

That's a good one. If you could find them after they left without paying
the rent.

If you implement draconian measures without
proper communication, do not be surprised when the tenants defeat those
measures, especially if they are unreasonable in the first place.

The law demands it.