no_junk_mail

Default how to remove latex paint from saltillo tile

What can we use to loosen up a coating of water-based latex paint over
unsealed saltillo tile? We plan on using wire brushes on the floor, but I'm
assuming that something besides plain water might loosen up the paint before
we attack it with the wire brushes. THANKS!

Norminn

no_junk_mail wrote:
What can we use to loosen up a coating of water-based latex paint over
unsealed saltillo tile? We plan on using wire brushes on the floor, but I'm
assuming that something besides plain water might loosen up the paint before
we attack it with the wire brushes. THANKS!

Fresh paine? We helped a friend clean up a paint disaster from cabinets
and parquet floor, but porous tile is another story. We got dried latex
off other kinds of surfaces. Try Formula 409, let it soak, then scrub
with stiff brush and hot water. Wire brush would likely leave marks.
If it is only dripped on the surface and not rubbed in, paint remover
might lift it - would have to scrape it up carefully so you don't grind
it further into the tile. I'd try the 409 first. Have tried to remove
old paint from concrete, using two kinds of paint remover, but almost no
effect. Good luck.

Todd H.

"no_junk_mail" writes:
What can we use to loosen up a coating of water-based latex paint over
unsealed saltillo tile? We plan on using wire brushes on the floor, but I'm
assuming that something besides plain water might loosen up the paint before
we attack it with the wire brushes. THANKS!

Are you familiar with a product called Goof Off?

http://www.valspar.com/val/resident/goof-off.jsp

Smells like hell, and you'll want to have plenty of ventilation. Goof
Off 2 sounds like it's not as nasally obnoxious.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
SQLit

"no_junk_mail" wrote in message
What can we use to loosen up a coating of water-based latex paint over
unsealed saltillo tile? We plan on using wire brushes on the floor, but

I'm
assuming that something besides plain water might loosen up the paint

before
we attack it with the wire brushes. THANKS!

At work we have cans of graffiti remover. It is cheap hair spray. I works
on block and brick.
Evaporates well, I would be cautious about my floor.

I would nix the wire brushes, scratch the tile for sure. Plastic scrubbers
might be a better choice. Soaking with water might help.

dadiOH

no_junk_mail wrote:
What can we use to loosen up a coating of water-based latex paint over
unsealed saltillo tile? We plan on using wire brushes on the floor,
but I'm assuming that something besides plain water might loosen up
the paint before we attack it with the wire brushes. THANKS!

Why is there a coat of paint over the tile? Personally, I'd just buy
new ones if the painted ones haven't been laid. If they have been laid
and you don't want to replace them about the best you could do would be
to use a chemical paint remover.

Don't use wire brushes...Saltillo is soft and you will get really ugly,
deep scratches. If you have to use something to abrade off the paint,
use sand paper (or cloth)...#120 works fine.

If the paint happens to be on a yellow tile (or yellow portion) you may
sand through the yellow to red so be careful when sanding. Yellow parts
are yellow because they were more exposed to heat when fired and are a
bit harder.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

wayne

use a heat gun wire brush may damage tile

no_junk_mail wrote:

What can we use to loosen up a coating of water-based latex paint
over unsealed saltillo tile? We plan on using wire brushes on the
floor, but I'm assuming that something besides plain water might
loosen up the paint before we attack it with the wire brushes.
THANKS!

Throw Rugs over Sealed Saltillo Tile James \Cubby\ Culbertson Home Repair 4 June 29th 05 02:46 AM
Ceramic Tile installation: slip under baseboard or remove Charles Spitzer Home Repair 1 September 2nd 04 11:41 PM
Removing tile paint Thee_Psycho UK diy 1 October 8th 03 02:51 PM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 04:51 AM
Removing Tile Paint Alan McGowan UK diy 1 August 8th 03 03:42 PM