Terry H

Default Refrigerator Fan sudden noise

Last night we had a power failure that lasted about 2-3 hours or
so. (The refrig was not opened during the failure). Our 2004
Whirlpool/Kenmore Energy Star 21.6 cu ft refrigerator started
making a strange noise after the power was restored. The source
of the noise was the fan in the freezer compartment (evaporator
fan). By applying pressure to the plastic guard in front of the
fan, the noise could be worsened or made better. I would try to
stop the noise, only to have it return later. By this morning
the noise was gone completely, and even trying to move the guard
doesn't cause it to come back.

The noise sounded as if the fan blades were striking something.
I don't think they were striking the plastic fan guard. Is it
possible that some frost build up during the power failure caused
this? Is there any risk of damage that could have occurred to
the refrigerator? It seems be working perfectly at the
moment. (2 more months of warranty coverage).

Thanks!

Appliance Repair Aid

Terry H wrote:
[...]

Hi,

Our 2004
Whirlpool/Kenmore Energy Star 21.6 cu ft refrigerator

Above does little to ID the refrigerator.
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
http://www.applianceaid.com/searscodes.html

The noise sounded as if the fan blades were striking something.
I don't think they were striking the plastic fan guard.

Possible a chunk of ice or such fell into the fan area and the fan was
hitting it.

Is it
possible that some frost build up during the power failure caused
this?

Frost normally won't built up when the unit is not running.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Terry H

Appliance Repair Aid wrote:

Terry H wrote:
[...]

The model number is 106.64252400 Have you ever heard of something like
that happening? I'm at a complete loss to explain what happened. The
ice cube trays were filled just prior to the power failure. I agree, it
doesn't make sense that ice would build up when it isn't running, but it
is strange that the fan noise began immediately after the power failure
and continued on and off for several hours. It's been running fine since.
(I hope

Thanks!

Jeff Jonas

Last night we had a power failure that lasted about 2-3 hours or
so ...
The noise sounded as if the fan blades were striking something.

You ought to take advantage of the warranty
to assure the defrost timer doesn't need replacement.

I had a similar problem with a frost-free freezer:
the inner coils froze up because the defrost timer had stopped
and the fan was hitting the ice.
A kind neighbor told me to find the timer on the bottom back corner
of the fridge. Since it was a good 'old mechanical timer like a clock motor,
a twist and shake got it running again.
Appliance Repair Aid

Terry H wrote:
The model number is 106.64252400 Have you ever heard of something like
that happening? I'm at a complete loss to explain what happened. The
ice cube trays were filled just prior to the power failure. I agree, it
doesn't make sense that ice would build up when it isn't running, but it
is strange that the fan noise began immediately after the power failure
and continued on and off for several hours. It's been running fine since.
(I hope

Thanks!

G'day,

Condensation could have built up on the fan blade from being cold and
then warming up causing the noise(s) as well.

Have you ever heard of something like
that happening?

Yupper.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Rich Greenberg

In article , Terry H wrote:
[...]

My GUESS is that the bearing in that fan is starting to fail. After
being off for a while the grease on it became much thicker and after a
while warmed up a bit.

Put in a service call.
You MIGHT unplug the box a few hours before the tech is due.