Default Help me identify this type of insulation

I have a house that has all exterior walls made from poured concrete,
no wood framing at all. The insulation on the interior is something
I've never seen before and looks to be actually part of the form to
pour the concrete into. It is black in color, very porous yet solid,
lightweight, about 2" thick, and crushes very easily - even between two
fingers. When it is crushed it turns to a sandy texture and emits a
foul odor, kind of like rotten eggs. My first thought was pumice, but
this comes in one foot wide by four foot long sheets. The house was
built in 1953 so if anyone knows what construction methods were used
back then and has any info please let me know. I'm just hoping its not
some type of asbestos, or something else that is hazardous.

Thanks,
LW

SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a house that has all exterior walls made from poured concrete,
no wood framing at all. The insulation on the interior is something
I've never seen before and looks to be actually part of the form to
pour the concrete into. It is black in color, very porous yet solid,
lightweight, about 2" thick, and crushes very easily - even between two
fingers. When it is crushed it turns to a sandy texture and emits a
foul odor, kind of like rotten eggs. My first thought was pumice, but
this comes in one foot wide by four foot long sheets. The house was
built in 1953 so if anyone knows what construction methods were used
back then and has any info please let me know. I'm just hoping its not
some type of asbestos, or something else that is hazardous.

Thanks,
LW

sounds like asphalt board to me. It is available at the box stores in 4x8
sheets. Where I live they use it sometimes between the concrete and the
earth back fill.

Concrete wall above grade?

Do you live in a Edison house? Pictures please.

Rudy

I had a chunk of that stuff when I was a kid. Like pumice or a volcanic
black glass and it did stink.
Now I know what it was for..Sorry I cant help but I know what you're talking
about

I have a house that has all exterior walls made from poured concrete,
no wood framing at all. The insulation on the interior is something
I've never seen before and looks to be actually part of the form to
pour the concrete into. It is black in color, very porous yet solid,
lightweight, about 2" thick, and crushes very easily - even between two
fingers. When it is crushed it turns to a sandy texture and emits a
foul odor, kind of like rotten eggs. My first thought was pumice, but
this comes in one foot wide by four foot long sheets.

Stretch

My brother in law founds some insulating pipes one time. he took it
back to the shop and had a blast with it. He call it fart rock.

Stretch

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

It may be the form they poured the walls in. There is a fairly new
construction technique where they stack foam blocks with spacers built
in them to form the wall, then they pour the center solid.

ICF's, (Insulating concrete forms) are getting very popular. Makes a very
energy efficient house also.
www.integraspec.com
www.standardicf.com

So do you, or anyone else, know what this stuff is made of? I tried
asking all kinds of people what it is and about 95% of them didn't
know what I was talking about. Those who did only saw it once, maybe
twice, and didn't know what exactly it is made of either. I'm pretty
confident it is the form the concrete was poured into and also doubles
as insulation. I know it isn't asphalt board as mentioned earlier, and
it definately isn't foam used in newer ICFs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to lawrenceww, James wrote:
lawrenceww wrote:

So do you, or anyone else, know what this stuff is made of? I tried
asking all kinds of people what it is and about 95% of them didn't
know what I was talking about. Those who did only saw it once, maybe
twice, and didn't know what exactly it is made of either. I'm pretty
confident it is the form the concrete was poured into and also doubles
as insulation. I know it isn't asphalt board as mentioned earlier, and
it definately isn't foam used in newer ICFs.

I beleive what you have is called FOAMGLAS. We have it at the chemical
plant that I work at as insulation on our pipes. I just spent the day
ripping it off one pipe. It definitely smells like rotten eggs. This is
due to the hydrgoen sulfide gas that is contained in the cells. The
company that makes it provides a safety data sheet that will inform you of
any hazards. It can be found online at the following address.
http://www.industry.foamglas.com/en/...sds/us_origin/

Click on the 'FOAMGLAS Insulation (all grades)' link and that will tell
you all you want to know.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ion-22104-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

first get it tested for asbestos, before moving or disturbing it futher......

better safe than sorry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 12:59:18 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

first get it tested for asbestos, before moving or disturbing it futher......

What year was it made?

better safe than sorry.

....replying to

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 12:44:01 -0700, James
wrote:

...snip...

I beleive what you have is called FOAMGLAS. We have it at the chemical
plant that I work at as insulation on our pipes. I just spent the day
ripping it off one pipe. It definitely smells like rotten eggs. This is
due to the hydrgoen sulfide gas that is contained in the cells. The
company that makes it provides a safety data sheet that will inform you
of
any hazards. It can be found online at the following address.
http://www.industry.foamglas.com/en/...sds/us_origin/

Click on the 'FOAMGLAS Insulation (all grades)' link and that will tell
you all you want to know.

That sounds like those 'glass sanding' blocks. As they crumble, smells
like hydrogen sulfide, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to lawrenceww, Don B wrote:
lawrenceww wrote:

I have a house that has all exterior walls made from poured concrete,
no wood framing at all. The insulation on the interior is something
I've never seen before and looks to be actually part of the form to
pour the concrete into. It is black in color, very porous yet solid,
lightweight, about 2" thick, and crushes very easily - even between two
fingers. When it is crushed it turns to a sandy texture and emits a
foul odor, kind of like rotten eggs. My first thought was pumice, but
this comes in one foot wide by four foot long sheets. The house was
built in 1953 so if anyone knows what construction methods were used
back then and has any info please let me know. I'm just hoping its not
some type of asbestos, or something else that is hazardous.
Thanks,
LW

What u have is called "foam glass" insulation. Primarily used on chilled
water piping insulation.
Most commonly known as "fart rock" it is non hazardous and still used
today.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Fart rock is what its called in the insulation industry its normally used around steam lines because the odor is the fire retardant mixed in its perfectly safe by todays standards

Replacing attic insulation Bruce E. Harang II Home Repair 8 June 14th 04 11:08 AM
Best Insulation Scheme for a Finished Attic Daniel Rubin Home Repair 0 February 16th 04 12:22 AM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 03:29 PM
Loft insulation Conrad Edwards UK diy 0 August 25th 03 10:57 PM
What TYPE PC 557 is Amazon Shipping Fly-by-Night CC Woodworking 3 July 13th 03 04:56 PM