Bob

Default Removing linoleum and adhesive from a kitchen floor

I will be removing the linoleum( and the adhesive/glue that held the
linoleum in place) from a kitchen floor in a home built in 1924. Underneath
the linoleum is a oak hardwood floor that I will be having professionally
refinished. I know that because of asbestos I need to wear a quality
filtering device and I also plan to work work goggles to protect my eyes.

What techniques/tools/etc will work best for removing the linoleum and the
adhesive? Both need to be completly removed our the floor refinishing
company will not go ahead on refinishing the floors.

Also I hope to be able to do the removal in such a way that it does not
damage the underneath wood floor.
Some scratching,etc of the floor would be okay(since the refinishing will
involve sanding/etc), but any deep gouging,etc would be a problem.

Thanks for all of your assistance,

Bob

SQLit

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Asbestos is not that much of a concern unless it breaks into tiny pieces
and floats in the air. Asbestos tile will probably come up in chunks with a
floor scraper.
The glue is ugly and the box stores have glue remover. A lot like paint
stripper. It is messy and wear long gloves.

chester

Bob wrote:
[...]

or use a heat gun. That worked for me.
Ranieri

"Bob" wrote in message
I will be removing the linoleum( and the adhesive/glue that held the
linoleum in place) from a kitchen floor in a home built in 1924.

Underneath
the linoleum is a oak hardwood floor that I will be having professionally
refinished. I know that because of asbestos I need to wear a quality
filtering device and I also plan to work work goggles to protect my eyes.

What techniques/tools/etc will work best for removing the linoleum and the
adhesive? Both need to be completly removed our the floor refinishing
company will not go ahead on refinishing the floors.

Also I hope to be able to do the removal in such a way that it does not
damage the underneath wood floor.
Some scratching,etc of the floor would be okay(since the refinishing will
involve sanding/etc), but any deep gouging,etc would be a problem.

Just did this. House circa 1927. Took most of the old lino up with a floor
scraper. The old adhesive was a tarry black material known as cutback. I
ended up using a bucket of hot soapy water and a quality Sandvik scraper.
Soaked the cutback for a few minutes (2'x2' at a time) and scraped it off.
Water proved to be a better solvent than all the acetone / mineral spirits
type products I tried. I then sanded it with a floor sander to expose the
highly distressed, but IMO, attractive old pine floor.

Here are a couple pics:

http://www.elementcasting.com/rem-floor1.jpg

http://www.elementcasting.com/rem-sandfloor1.jpg