hahnfld

Default Kenmore 80 Series Washer Wobbles on Spin

I purchased a very stubborn Kenmore Series 80 washer in the classifieds
a few weeks ago and I can't seem to fix it. When it spins, it wobbles
like crazy and the tub hits the side of the washer. It's noisy, and
sometimes actually moves the washer along the floor a bit.

The only strange thing I've noticed is that the tub appears to be
leaning to the right-front, despite the fact that all four springs are
attached. When water is going into the tub, the tub sits in such a way
that some of the water sprays over the back lip (lowered section) of
the tub and lands on the floor. When the motor is removed, everything
is level, but as soon as I reattach the motor the tub leans in that
direction, basically sitting on the side (or very close to the side) of
the right-front of the cabinet. I don't know if the tub leaning thing
is related to the tub wobbling, but I guess it could be. Is some
leaning normal?

The only other symptom is the smell of burning oil (just a faint smell,
no smoke or anything) when the spin cycle starts to get really
unbalanced.

I checked/did the following:

- Washer is totally level on a cement floor, both front-to-back and
side-to-side. Rear leveler legs are working as they should. (BTW,
*un*levelling so the left side sits lower doesn't help either).

- All three shipping pins are removed and stored in their little
plastic cases on the bottom of the washer.

- Clothes are balanced. It happens empty, too.

- All four suspension springs are in place. I rotated the three main
springs to make sure none were stretched, but they all tension pretty
much the same. All springs are connected to the right places (as shown
on the parts diagram) and none are rusted out or anything.

- All suspension pads are in place and are in perfect condition. I
replaced the three "tub wear pads" that sit between the tub and the
frame.

- The skid plate is positioned properly on the frame (the corners of
the triangle match up).

- The balance ring at the top of the tub sounds like it is half full of
water, and it is in good shape.

- The tub seems to "rock" on its suspension normally when I push on the
side of the tub.

- The cabinet is on the frame correctly, with everything lined up and
the two clips latched.

The washer *does* work despite the noisy wobble, but I would really
like to get it levelled out. What am I missing? Any suggestions would
be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Matt

Appliance Repair Aid

hahnfld wrote:
[...]

Hi,

Model#?

The only strange thing I've noticed is that the tub appears to be
leaning to the right-front, despite the fact that all four springs are
attached.

Weak balance spring?...

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=545231
Spring to balance tub.