query

Default foundation repair

I am buying a small old house with pier and beam. Some of the cedar
piers need replacing and the crawl space under the house is tight. One
company quoted me over $15,000 for the repairs (for an under 1,000 sq.
ft. house). I just want to repair or replace the obviously rotted piers
and beams. What are the pros and cons of this approach? I'm also
going to look for someone who can do the work less expensively. The
entire foundation/house is not worth an expensive remodel, as the next
buyer will probably scrape and start over.
Thanks for your advice.

This all depends on how you long you want to live there.

Do a half assed cheap job and expect poor results.

Do it correct and compensate the additional money in
the final price of the home.

query

I understand your point. I guess I just don't want to put a Mercedes
motor into a Hyundai. I think there is a large range between the most
expensive, complete redo of the foundation and a repair of the actual
problems. That is what I am aiming for.

G Henslee

query wrote:
I understand your point. I guess I just don't want to put a Mercedes
motor into a Hyundai. I think there is a large range between the most
expensive, complete redo of the foundation and a repair of the actual
problems. That is what I am aiming for.

What point? You don't quote anything. But you're right. 15K may be
kind of high so consider several more estimates.

Roger Taylor

"query" wrote in message
ps.com...
I am buying a small old house with pier and beam. Some of the cedar
piers need replacing and the crawl space under the house is tight. One
company quoted me over $15,000 for the repairs (for an under 1,000 sq.
ft. house). I just want to repair or replace the obviously rotted piers
and beams. What are the pros and cons of this approach? I'm also
going to look for someone who can do the work less expensively. The
entire foundation/house is not worth an expensive remodel, as the next
buyer will probably scrape and start over.
Thanks for your advice.

That indeed sounds high for this sized house.
As another poster said, best to get multiple estimates from contractors -
preferably that neighbors have been happy with, and check the Better
Business Bureau to eliminate those contractors with "histories". Also, you
would be well advised to find out why the rot is there, and address that, as
well. Caused by termites, moisture, what? Also, keep in mind the first
estimate likely included removing piers, footings, jacking up the house, and
repouring footings, and replacing piers and anchors - potentially a big job
in narrow crawl space. Once you get several bids, and begin to understand
the scope of the challenge, you might even consider having it done in
stages. A house levelling company to brace and place jacks, taking the
weight off the piers, then having a laborer clear out the piers (and
footings if they have subsided), some of the dirt and debris out for easier
working, then find a qaulified foundation engineer to specify the next
steps, etc. Sometimes limited crawlspace accessibility and debris under the
house alone, will scare off contractors, who bid crazily, just to see if you
blink.
Good Luck.

Pop

"Roger Taylor" wrote in message
"query" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Good analysis, Roger; sounds like the best input so
far.
Another thing the poster might consider is, depending
on the dimensions of the house, and since he said it's
under 10k ft sq, is to pour some footings outside the
crawl space but close to the foundation, jack her up
and set it back down on a couple steel beams and 2 x
10s. It'd cost a lot less and might even provide a
footing for a porch in the future. It was done not too
long ago down the road from me here, and they paid
about $5,000 for the whole thing. Plus, the owner
ended up with a usable crawl space, slapped down a
vapor barrier, and now has storage down there. The old
piers now hold nothing - but they're handy for him to
hang things from g. He got a full 4 ft height at one
end.
There are some downsides to it too, so best to talk
it over with the/a contractor before starting.
Anchoring had to be a little better than usual with the
new support system.

FWIW,

Pop

SteveB

"query" wrote in message
ps.com...
I am buying a small old house with pier and beam. Some of the cedar
piers need replacing and the crawl space under the house is tight. One
company quoted me over $15,000 for the repairs (for an under 1,000 sq.
ft. house). I just want to repair or replace the obviously rotted piers
and beams. What are the pros and cons of this approach? I'm also
going to look for someone who can do the work less expensively. The
entire foundation/house is not worth an expensive remodel, as the next
buyer will probably scrape and start over.
Thanks for your advice.

Three old gentlemen are enjoying the beach in Florida.

So, how did you get here?

Oh, my business had a fire and I retired from the insurance.

And how did you get here?

My business was flooded from a broken water main and I retired on the
insurance.

To the third ... so how did YOU get here?

My business was wiped out by a tornado and I retired on the insurance?

The first two chime in, " So, how do you start a tornado?"

Steve

G Henslee

Poop says:

Good analysis, Roger; sounds like the best input so
far.

Poop,
Nobody cares about *your* opinion of their input. Get back in the
toilet ya old ****.