Percival P. Cassidy

Default Switch/outlet wiring question

I have some Pass & Seymour/Legrand switches (and receptacles) that have
connection options described on their Web site as follows:

"Exceptionally easy to install, with side or screw-pressure-plate
backwiring for line and load terminals.

Two backwire holes per termination add wiring flexibility. Fewer
pigtails mean more room in the box."

Can I mix a "looped" connection (wire looped around under the screw
head) and one or more back-wired connections to the same terminal on the
device, thus providing the possibility of having three wires to the one
terminal? What about just two connections, but with one wire under the
pressure plate and one looped around under the screw head?

Perce

Kevin Ricks

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
I have some Pass & Seymour/Legrand switches (and receptacles) that have
connection options described on their Web site as follows:

"Exceptionally easy to install, with side or screw-pressure-plate
backwiring for line and load terminals.

Two backwire holes per termination add wiring flexibility. Fewer pigtails
mean more room in the box."

Can I mix a "looped" connection (wire looped around under the screw head)
and one or more back-wired connections to the same terminal on the device,
thus providing the possibility of having three wires to the one terminal?
What about just two connections, but with one wire under the pressure
plate and one looped around under the screw head?

Perce

I use the Levetron backwire outlets. (In the red 10pk box at HD)
Theses have 4 holes per side (2 sets per receptacle), so unless your are
splitting the outlet, you will have 4 holes on each side.
I have never done one with a loop wire around the terminal and with
backwires, but I don't see why you can't. Just make good and sure the wire
on the terminal is square and flush under the screw and against the
terminal.
Kevin

toller

It is possible (I have even done it...) but may not be a good idea. Unless
both go tight at the same time, one will be loose. Obviously.

Percival P. Cassidy

On 07/31/05 10:44 pm Kevin Ricks tossed the following ingredients into
the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

[...]

OK, but these are different from the Leviton ones. These do not have
often-criticized "back-stab" connections with only spring pressure
against the wi on the P&S ones the screw clamps the wire between the
pressure-plate and the body of the switch.

Neverthless, I guess the same principle applies.

Perce