Malcolm Moovis

Default Sunsetter Awning Collapse

I lost my Sunsetter awning yesterday when one of the clamps let go and the
supports ripped away from the house and the deck. What's really bizarre is that
the clamp on the support that fell is still locked down tight, as it was each of
the three times it happened before. I tightened them down with a pair of pliers
after the first time, but that didn't seem to help. Even tried pushing hard
against it (after tightening it) and it was solid. There was no severe weather
here within the past week, so high winds apparently didn't cause it. Really
puzzled why it finally self-destructed. Has anyone else experienced something
similar with Sunsetter awnings?
JerryL

"Malcolm Moovis" wrote in message
news:1121543778.259e9e99d2d7f135c571243875ebe38e@t eranews...
I lost my Sunsetter awning yesterday when one of the clamps let go and the
supports ripped away from the house and the deck. What's really bizarre is
that
the clamp on the support that fell is still locked down tight, as it was
each of
the three times it happened before. I tightened them down with a pair of
pliers
after the first time, but that didn't seem to help. Even tried pushing
hard
against it (after tightening it) and it was solid. There was no severe
weather
here within the past week, so high winds apparently didn't cause it.
Really
puzzled why it finally self-destructed. Has anyone else experienced
something
similar with Sunsetter awnings?

How long is it up and have you contacted Sunsetter?

Malcolm Moovis

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 16:18:40 -0400, "JerryL" wrote:

[...]

It's been up since the summer of 2001. It's got a 5 year warranty, but it
doesn't apply to me, since I bought it with the house almost 4 years ago. I'm
considering replacing it, but not with a Sunsetter, if it's as bad as I've
reading and hearing (not from the Internet). Haven't tried calling Sunsetter
yet.

I read the warranty, and what's not really obvious is that it's prorated after
the first year for 1/60th of the original purchase price each month, up to 60
months. That means that if I were the original purchaser, I would be required to
pay about $1,070 (instead of about $1,260, if it's still around that price, to
replace it. That's not much of a warranty, beyond 2 to 2-1/2 years.

This model was the 15' Model 900 with the accessory screen room (which wasn't
attached when it collapsed).

I also went through the instruction manual again to see if I had set it up
correctly (and I did), but I noticed they've got a bold warning to roll it up or
roll one corner down when it rains, and never leave it up if you don't know if
the weather will be nice or stormy. Obviously, that would appear to conflict
with their bolder advertising pitch that, "...You Can Enjoy Rain or Shine..."
xsavary

SunSetter Awnings are the highest quality and best selling awnings in
America. They are the only awnings to have earned the Good Housekeeping
Seal of Approval and are backed by a 5-year Limited Manufacturers
Warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.

The SunSetter Awning fabric is waterproof and the awning is not
designed to support the load of water pooling on the fabric or
excessive windy conditions. The SunSetter Manually Operated 900/1000
and 900XT/1000XT Models may be enjoyed rain or shine if installation
and operation instructions are followed properly. Mr. Moovis, the
damage to your awning sounds to be as a result of weather related
damage such as water pooling on the fabric either recently or on a
prior occasion. SunSetter Products will be happy to help diagnose the
damage and recommend which awning component requires replacement. As a
SunSetter Awning owner, SunSetter Products will also offer you a
generous discount towards the purchase of a new SunSetter Awning. You
may contact SunSetter Products Customer Care at 800-670-7071 daily from
8:00am to 10:00pm EST.

Malcolm Moovis wrote:
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"xsavary" wrote in message
Mr. Moovis, the
damage to your awning sounds to be as a result of weather related
damage such as water pooling on the fabric either recently or on a
prior occasion. SunSetter Products will be happy to help diagnose the
damage and recommend which awning component requires replacement. As a
SunSetter Awning owner, SunSetter Products will also offer you a
generous discount towards the purchase of a new SunSetter Awning. You
may contact SunSetter Products Customer Care at 800-670-7071 daily from
8:00am to 10:00pm EST.

Hey, it sounds like they are really interested in helping a customer. I
hope to see a happy resolution posed.

need to remove awning to tuckpoint? D i a n e . Home Repair 2 May 5th 05 05:35 AM
Sunsetter Awning? Sparky Home Repair 2 April 19th 05 01:53 AM
vertical collapse on JVC AV 20TP4 television BlueMoon Mac Resources Electronics Repair 2 October 6th 04 10:36 PM
Rain Awning for 8' Deck? Guido Home Repair 1 August 18th 04 08:58 PM
SHARP 25AV79 VERTICAL COLLAPSE Dan Gett Electronics Repair 2 July 31st 03 04:26 AM