dave

Default adhesives - 'sticking down' ceramic tile TO existing linoleum? "newtype" stuff?

what type of adhesive is 'ordinarily' used these days to 'stick down'
ceramic tile on TOP of linoleum? this is in a small residential kitchen
and front hallway, each of those areas roughly 55 sq feet....

I already tested all over (both areas) with a toilet plunger, and the
linoleum is "stuck down GOOD'n'TIGHT" everywhere to the slab, central
areas included, wall TO wall, *NOT* just along the edges...

is the adhesive I'm seeking something similar to "liquid nails
construction adhesive" or something? I'd like it to be spreadable with a
normal tile adhesive "square notched" trowel....

also, is there some type of 'linoleum softener' or 'pre-primer'
involved? plan is to grout -between- the tiles 'in the normal manner'
afterward...is special grout involved too? or just using some type of
'additive' to everyday normal grout, or?

thanks for smartening me up some,

toolie
Ken

dave wrote:
[...]

I am not going to say it cannot be done, but I think you would be
making a BIG mistake. If you figure how much your tile, grout and labor
will cost to do this project, and then consider that it might all be
wasted, I would not take the risk. Once ceramic tile is applied
correctly, it will last for decades and you will probably never need to
attend to it again.

If the job is done poorly, you will be pulling BOTH up in the near
future. Good luck.
Charles Spitzer

"dave" wrote in message
[...]

acrylic modified thinset. you don't have to do anything to the linoleum, and
you use normal grout. the linoleum will act as an antifracture barrier.

G Henslee

dave wrote:
what type of adhesive is 'ordinarily' used these days to 'stick down'
ceramic tile on TOP of linoleum? this is in a small residential kitchen
and front hallway, each of those areas roughly 55 sq feet....

Latex modified thinset.

I already tested all over (both areas) with a toilet plunger, and the
linoleum is "stuck down GOOD'n'TIGHT" everywhere to the slab, central
areas included, wall TO wall, *NOT* just along the edges...

Good adhesion of the lino is a must. Youi should have problems with
this tile install if you use the modified t/s.

also, is there some type of 'linoleum softener' or 'pre-primer'
involved? plan is to grout -between- the tiles 'in the normal manner'
afterward...is special grout involved too? or just using some type of
'additive' to everyday normal grout, or?

No 'special' grout required. Sanded grout for spaced jopints and
unsanded for tight joints.

G Henslee

G Henslee wrote:
dave wrote:

[...]

One more thing. If it's a 'cushion' type liono, it has to be removed.

Duane Bozarth

G Henslee wrote:

One more thing. If it's a 'cushion' type liono, it has to be removed.

Also, if the floor isn't truly flat you need to make it so...many/most
old floors have some issues that could end up w/ pressure points that
could cause a failure...
G Henslee

Mark wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:55:46 GMT, Ken wrote:

dave wrote:

[...]

It's a floor. If the original one is down, use whatever sticks the ceramic
down. Ceramic is heavy enough that it will flatten out any linoleum that
is curling.

Bull****. Loose and curling lino areas need to be cut out.

The cement product you use to put the tile down will stiffen
up anything that is loose. Just go with a bigger notch than recommended.

Bull****. The 'cementitious' product used (called thinset) is not
designed to stiffen up loose lino.

I've done a few this way and quite a few years later they still look like
the day they were installed.

Pro's tend to need to justify their existence.

Bull****. I'm a pro and I don't need to justify anything. I and
thousands of other setters have 'properly' installed millions of feet of
ceramic over lino.

Based upon Ken's reply he is not a pro. Based upon your reply, you're a
****tard.
blueman

dave writes:
I already tested all over (both areas) with a toilet plunger, and the
linoleum is "stuck down GOOD'n'TIGHT" everywhere to the slab, central
areas included, wall TO wall, *NOT* just along the edges...

Just because it is "stuck down GOOD'n'TIGHT" now, doesn't mean the
lino will be so in the future.
I have heard pros suggesting nailing down the lino every 8" before
applying tile. Also, any loose or uneven areas should be
removed. Finally, make sure that the floor/subfloor underneath is
strong and stable.

Otherwise tiling over lino should go just fine, though if it were me
doing my own job, I would probably remove it as a perfectionist.
G Henslee

blueman wrote:
dave writes:

I already tested all over (both areas) with a toilet plunger, and the
linoleum is "stuck down GOOD'n'TIGHT" everywhere to the slab, central
areas included, wall TO wall, *NOT* just along the edges...

Just because it is "stuck down GOOD'n'TIGHT" now, doesn't mean the
lino will be so in the future.

Really, why? Nevermind. Save yourself some embarassment.

I have heard pros suggesting nailing down the lino every 8" before
applying tile. Also, any loose or uneven areas should be
removed. Finally, make sure that the floor/subfloor underneath is
strong and stable.

You've 'heard' but you don't 'know' jack ****. It's a concrete slab genius.

snip the perfectionist bs

You can't even read...

blueman

G Henslee writes:
blueman wrote:
dave writes:

I already tested all over (both areas) with a toilet plunger, and the
linoleum is "stuck down GOOD'n'TIGHT" everywhere to the slab, central
areas included, wall TO wall, *NOT* just along the edges...

Just because it is "stuck down GOOD'n'TIGHT" now, doesn't mean the
lino will be so in the future.

Really, why? Nevermind. Save yourself some embarassment.

I have heard pros suggesting nailing down the lino every 8" before
applying tile. Also, any loose or uneven areas should be
removed. Finally, make sure that the floor/subfloor underneath is
strong and stable.

You've 'heard' but you don't 'know' jack ****. It's a concrete slab genius.

snip the perfectionist bs

You can't even read...

Perhaps, but I'm sure even you can read the word ASSHOLE.