Doug Kanter

Default Removing Carrier outside panels

The fins on the side of my Carrier exterior AC unit are pretty filthy, so I
wanted to hose them off with an outward stream of water. Shop vac didn't
work - the stuff's turned to something other than just dust, probably due to
moisture and whatever else....

Pictures here, although probably unnecessary for most of you:
http://community.webshots.com/script...98461006gSRGXc

Took a quick look at the top panel and it looks as if the fan motor's
attached to it (via the inner 4 screws). And, the top panel overlaps the
side panels, so it SEEMS they can't be removed without first taking off the
top. What's the correct procedure here?

Oscar_Lives

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
The fins on the side of my Carrier exterior AC unit are pretty filthy, so
I wanted to hose them off with an outward stream of water. Shop vac didn't
work - the stuff's turned to something other than just dust, probably due
to moisture and whatever else....

Pictures here, although probably unnecessary for most of you:
http://community.webshots.com/script...98461006gSRGXc

Took a quick look at the top panel and it looks as if the fan motor's
attached to it (via the inner 4 screws). And, the top panel overlaps the
side panels, so it SEEMS they can't be removed without first taking off
the top. What's the correct procedure here?

You need to call a professional service technician. Don't **** with it, you
might blow yourself up.

Doug Kanter

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
The fins on the side of my Carrier exterior AC unit are pretty filthy, so
I wanted to hose them off with an outward stream of water. Shop vac
didn't work - the stuff's turned to something other than just dust,
probably due to moisture and whatever else....

Pictures here, although probably unnecessary for most of you:
http://community.webshots.com/script...98461006gSRGXc

Took a quick look at the top panel and it looks as if the fan motor's
attached to it (via the inner 4 screws). And, the top panel overlaps the
side panels, so it SEEMS they can't be removed without first taking off
the top. What's the correct procedure here?

You need to call a professional service technician. Don't **** with it,
you might blow yourself up.

By removing the cover from a unit whose circuit breaker is shut off? Are
they rigged with explosives?

pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:14:14 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

The fins on the side of my Carrier exterior AC unit are pretty filthy, so I
wanted to hose them off with an outward stream of water. Shop vac didn't
work - the stuff's turned to something other than just dust, probably due to
moisture and whatever else....

Pictures here, although probably unnecessary for most of you:
http://community.webshots.com/script...98461006gSRGXc

Took a quick look at the top panel and it looks as if the fan motor's
attached to it (via the inner 4 screws). And, the top panel overlaps the
side panels, so it SEEMS they can't be removed without first taking off the
top. What's the correct procedure here?

Call a service company.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free Temperature / Pressure charts for 38 Ref's http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/

Doug Kanter

wrote:

The fins on the side of my Carrier exterior AC unit are pretty filthy, so
wanted to hose them off with an outward stream of water. Shop vac didn't
work - the stuff's turned to something other than just dust, probably due
moisture and whatever else....

Pictures here, although probably unnecessary for most of you:
http://community.webshots.com/script...98461006gSRGXc

Took a quick look at the top panel and it looks as if the fan motor's
attached to it (via the inner 4 screws). And, the top panel overlaps the
side panels, so it SEEMS they can't be removed without first taking off
the
top. What's the correct procedure here?

Call a service company.

For this particular service, that ain't gonna happen. If cleaning doesn't
make a little improvement in performance, THEN my heating contractor will be
called.

Jabs

Doug,
You have already received excellent answered from field experts here.
However, if you think they are bull****ting you;
Read about the outdoor coil on page 4.
http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...it/om38-29.pdf

Then read what an expert would do on page 2 of this link.
http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...lit/38-1sm.pdf

Jabs

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
The fins on the side of my Carrier exterior AC unit are pretty filthy, so
I wanted to hose them off with an outward stream of water. Shop vac didn't
work - the stuff's turned to something other than just dust, probably due
to moisture and whatever else....

Pictures here, although probably unnecessary for most of you:
http://community.webshots.com/script...98461006gSRGXc

Took a quick look at the top panel and it looks as if the fan motor's
attached to it (via the inner 4 screws). And, the top panel overlaps the
side panels, so it SEEMS they can't be removed without first taking off
the top. What's the correct procedure here?

George E. Cawthon

Doug Kanter wrote:
The fins on the side of my Carrier exterior AC unit are pretty filthy, so I
wanted to hose them off with an outward stream of water. Shop vac didn't
work - the stuff's turned to something other than just dust, probably due to
moisture and whatever else....

Pictures here, although probably unnecessary for most of you:
http://community.webshots.com/script...98461006gSRGXc

Took a quick look at the top panel and it looks as if the fan motor's
attached to it (via the inner 4 screws). And, the top panel overlaps the
side panels, so it SEEMS they can't be removed without first taking off the
top. What's the correct procedure here?

Take the top off. Don't know what the 4 screws in
the middle are for, but it is unlikely that the
fan is screwed to the top. Take the screws off
around the periphery and then tap up.

You really shouldn't need to take it apart just
wash with a stream wherever you can.
Vicki Szaszvari

George E. Cawthon wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

First of all, spraying it with the hose can just push the stuff deeper
into the fins. You need a foaming coil cleaning for that, or (after
turning power off to it) take the top off and spray it from the inside.

But you would be doing your unit a favor by keeping the weeds and grass
away from it.

~^Johnny^~

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
Doug Kanter

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
[...]

I'm thinking of washing from the inside because the air's pulling the crap
in from the outside of the fins. So, I wonder if a stream strong enough
(from the outside) might force water into electrical stuff that, even though
it's meant to be outdoors, isn't designed for a horizontal hosing. I
dunno...

Stormin Mormon

They used vials of nitroglycerine until 1996, and then changed to plastique.
You didn't know that?

Of course, we might be teasing you.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

By removing the cover from a unit whose circuit breaker is shut off? Are
they rigged with explosives?

Stormin Mormon

How about just remove every screw or nut you can find?

Yeah, the fan't not atached to the top. Remove those first, and don't pay
any mind to the clang noise, or the hissing that follows.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Doug Kanter wrote:
[...]

Stormin Mormon

Dear Doug,
Most of the fellows on this group are HVAC employess or shop owners.
Asking us for a "free how to do it" is like walking in to a restaurant with
two slices of bread and two eggs. and asking for a free breakfast. YOu're
not likely to get much cooperaion on this list, and will likely get some
implolite folks.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
The fins on the side of my Carrier exterior AC unit are pretty filthy, so I
wanted to hose them off with an outward stream of water. Shop vac didn't
work - the stuff's turned to something other than just dust, probably due to
moisture and whatever else....

Pictures here, although probably unnecessary for most of you:
http://community.webshots.com/script...98461006gSRGXc

Took a quick look at the top panel and it looks as if the fan motor's
attached to it (via the inner 4 screws). And, the top panel overlaps the
side panels, so it SEEMS they can't be removed without first taking off the
top. What's the correct procedure here?

Stormin Mormon

I'm sure most tradesmen did, back then. That's back before freon was
dangerous. Now days we have chemical cleaners that will eat your skin off,
if you're not careful. But, gentle on the ozone layer.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"~^Johnny^~" wrote in message

Back in the 60's my dad would just blow out the coils with (then
cheap) refrigerant. Those were the days. :-)

Doug Kanter

I understand. I wouldn't want some guy in Minnesota to lose business because
I didn't call him to fix my AC unit here in upstate NY. But, I wonder if
that same guy will replace a worn out cord on a lamp, or call an
electrician.

[...]

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 02:26:19 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

This particular newsgroup is simply too macho and full of wit for me. I
can't take it any more.

That's why home-moaners are adviced to go away.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
.. .
How about just remove every screw or nut you can find?

Yeah, the fan't not atached to the top. Remove those first, and don't pay
any mind to the clang noise, or the hissing that follows.

STFU, Stormy, you're an asshole hack, and you're not quite
sure HOW the hell that fan stays up there yourself.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Doug Kanter wrote:
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Dear Doug,
Most of the fellows on this group are HVAC employess or shop owners.
Asking us for a "free how to do it" is like walking in to a restaurant
with
two slices of bread and two eggs. and asking for a free breakfast. YOu're
not likely to get much cooperaion on this list, and will likely get some
implolite folks.

If that is the case, they are very narrow minded. Why do some of the top
chefs and restaurant owners give away recipes and do cooking demonstrations
for free?

I don't want to deny you making a good living, but are you losing money if I
do a repair with your help? Will you come to my house and do it at your
normal price? Of course not, it would be impractical.

Of course, most the guys on alt.hvac are a bunch of closed minded idiots
anyway that have great disdain for homeowners. I'd never let any of them
work on my system as their ego would get in the way of doing a good job.

HeyBub

Doug Kanter wrote:
I understand. I wouldn't want some guy in Minnesota to lose business
because I didn't call him to fix my AC unit here in upstate NY.

Are you all not part of the same Gypsy clan?

~^Johnny^~

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
HeyBub

Doug Kanter wrote:
The fins on the side of my Carrier exterior AC unit are pretty
filthy, so I wanted to hose them off with an outward stream of water. Shop
vac
didn't work - the stuff's turned to something other than just dust,
probably
due to moisture and whatever else....

Pictures here, although probably unnecessary for most of you:
http://community.webshots.com/script...98461006gSRGXc

Took a quick look at the top panel and it looks as if the fan motor's
attached to it (via the inner 4 screws). And, the top panel overlaps
the side panels, so it SEEMS they can't be removed without first taking
off the top. What's the correct procedure here?

Take off the top. It may house the exhaust fan. Careful.

Remove the side panels.

Wash from the inside with a pressure washer. Careful - too much pressure can
bend the fins. Use soap if you can.

Don't worry too much about wetting any electrical stuff. Think rain.

If you can blow any residual water out, go for it. Else let the thing dry
for a bit before you re-activate it.

Put the thing back together. As best you can. Some screw holes will not line
up properly.

Doug Kanter wrote:
The fins on the side of my Carrier exterior AC unit are pretty filthy,

so I
wanted to hose them off with an outward stream of water. Shop vac didn't
work - the stuff's turned to something other than just dust, probably

due to
moisture and whatever else....

Pictures here, although probably unnecessary for most of you:

http://community.webshots.com/script...ickup&uri=albu
m/398461006gSRGXc

Took a quick look at the top panel and it looks as if the fan motor's
attached to it (via the inner 4 screws). And, the top panel overlaps the
side panels, so it SEEMS they can't be removed without first taking off

the
top. What's the correct procedure here?

Take the top off. Don't know what the 4 screws in
the middle are for, but it is unlikely that the
fan is screwed to the top. Take the screws off
around the periphery and then tap up.

The four in the middle hold the fan motor in place...yes, they do....
Dear God...thats funny....thanks for the entertainment..LOL

You really shouldn't need to take it apart just
wash with a stream wherever you can.

Wrong.
He will need a foaming cleaner to do it right, or he will just make it LOOK
clean, it wont be, but it sure will look clean.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I understand. I wouldn't want some guy in Minnesota to lose business

because
I didn't call him to fix my AC unit here in upstate NY. But, I wonder if
that same guy will replace a worn out cord on a lamp, or call an
electrician.

But, you dont get it...
Stormin is a locksmith in NY....NOT an HVAC guy.

[...]

chevelless

I would be glad to help by walking you through it since I am retired and don't need your business.

I can't get the pictures to come up so I don't know which model you have.
This newsgroup is a joke when it comes to helping out anyone.

Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Tue, 19 Jul 2005 02:11:23 GMT "Doug Kanter"
posted:

Doug Kanter wrote:
[...]

Most things will dry off if you wait 2 or 3 days, but it wouldn't hurt
to wrap the motor in a big plastic trash bag. Don't forget to unwrap
it before putting the cover on.

I don't know whether it needs cleaning or not, without seeing it. I
don't think mine is dirty at all after 26 years (??) but some of the
fins are bent together at the bottom. Trying to straighten them out,
even with a fin comb, turned out to be very slow-go, so I stopped. Of
course I only run the AC 10 or 20 days a year.

You're posting to two groups. If Stormin thinks hvac isn't friendly,
I guess you should concentrate on the other one.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Noon-Air

"chevelless" wrote in message
I would be glad to help by walking you through it since I am retired and
don't need your business.

I can't get the pictures to come up so I don't know which model you have.
This newsgroup is a joke when it comes to helping out anyone.

Yes we are clueless..... as to the OPs abilities, capabilities, tools,
common sense, etc.
Its not a matter of the OP being a prospective customer, it is a matter of
not encouraging somebody to become the latest Darwin Award nominee. If you
can tell from a few words posted on the internet that the OP can handle it,
and your willing to take the risk of the liability, then knock yourself out.

pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 03:49:01 GMT, chevelless
wrote:

I would be glad to help by walking you through it since I am retired and don't need your business.

I can't get the pictures to come up so I don't know which model you have.
This newsgroup is a joke when it comes to helping out anyone.

Who the **** are you ?

You want to help home-owners, do it in alt.home.repair.
That's what it's there for.

Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

Joseph

"chevelless" wrote in message
I would be glad to help by walking you through it since I am retired and

don't need your business.

I can't get the pictures to come up so I don't know which model you have.
This newsgroup is a joke when it comes to helping out anyone.

alt.home.repair is for getting Home repairs not alt.hvac. The only
reason your getting the bad responses is because you're cross posting. AHR
will not get you flamed unless you ask for it..

Doug Kanter wrote:
[...]

WHY?
Does he need to wrap it in the rain too?

I don't know whether it needs cleaning or not, without seeing it. I
don't think mine is dirty at all after 26 years (??) but some of the
fins are bent together at the bottom. Trying to straighten them out,
even with a fin comb, turned out to be very slow-go, so I stopped. Of
course I only run the AC 10 or 20 days a year.

You're posting to two groups. If Stormin thinks hvac isn't friendly,
I guess you should concentrate on the other one.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

George E. Cawthon

Vicki Szaszvari wrote:

George E. Cawthon wrote:

Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

My unit is very clean, the coils are clean, and
there is nothing in the coils. I usually shoot
water on it once a year, but nothing drastic.
Maybe it is just better designed than some, or we
just keep trash away from the base--the fan blows
straight up.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Dear Doug,
Most of the fellows on this group are HVAC employess or shop owners.
Asking us for a "free how to do it" is like walking in to a restaurant

with
two slices of bread and two eggs. and asking for a free breakfast. YOu're
not likely to get much cooperaion on this list, and will likely get some
implolite folks.

And some, ok..one..Chris, AKA the Stumped Moron, is a locksmith that thinks
hes an HVAC guy, and he hides behind his temple robes that he stole from
Donny and Marie.
LOCKSMITH there...and he is going around calling everyone that knows this,
and calls him on it rude, and impolite.
Sheesh...Im not rude or impolite..im just not politically correct.
Oh..wait..yes I am..
**** off Chris.
BTW Doug, altho many of the DIY guys wont like this, but altho your unit may
very well seem to be running better after you chem clean, and flush the
outer coil, check the superheat, or subcool since its going to change with
the lower head pressures that you have created by this partial service.
While you are at it, you should also clean your blower, your evap, and
condensate drain.
THEN, check your superheat or subcool, since you will have allowed the coil
to absorb more heat and increased airflow over it.
In other words...your charge, MAY no longer be correct.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
The fins on the side of my Carrier exterior AC unit are pretty filthy, so

wanted to hose them off with an outward stream of water. Shop vac didn't
work - the stuff's turned to something other than just dust, probably due

moisture and whatever else....

Pictures here, although probably unnecessary for most of you:

http://community.webshots.com/script...ickup&uri=albu
m/398461006gSRGXc

Took a quick look at the top panel and it looks as if the fan motor's
attached to it (via the inner 4 screws). And, the top panel overlaps the
side panels, so it SEEMS they can't be removed without first taking off

the
top. What's the correct procedure here?

George E. Cawthon

Stormin Mormon wrote:
How about just remove every screw or nut you can find?

Yeah, the fan't not atached to the top. Remove those first, and don't pay
any mind to the clang noise, or the hissing that follows.

Yep I was wrong on the models include in the
Carrier manual someone pointed to. The motor is
not attached to the top on my model which is
completely round and a 1983 model.
pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 07:10:56 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
How about just remove every screw or nut you can find?

Then Stormy would be gone.

Yeah, the fan't not atached to the top. Remove those first, and don't pay
any mind to the clang noise, or the hissing that follows.

Yep I was wrong on the models include in the
Carrier manual someone pointed to. The motor is
not attached to the top on my model which is
completely round and a 1983 model.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free Temperature / Pressure charts for 38 Ref's http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/

George E. Cawthon

Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

Ok, I already admitted the models shown in the
Carrier manual have the fan attached to the top.
Not on my model.

You really shouldn't need to take it apart just
wash with a stream wherever you can.

Wrong.
He will need a foaming cleaner to do it right, or he will just make it LOOK
clean, it wont be, but it sure will look clean.

Wrong. So it needs cleaner, did I specify what
kind of stream? You can't have it both ways. If
it is clean, it will look clean and if it looks
clean, it will be clean. If it is dirty and you
say it looks clean, maybe you need your "look" fixed.
pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 07:22:09 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

Wrong.
He will need a foaming cleaner to do it right, or he will just make it LOOK
clean, it wont be, but it sure will look clean.

Wrong. So it needs cleaner, did I specify what
kind of stream? You can't have it both ways. If
it is clean, it will look clean and if it looks
clean, it will be clean. If it is dirty and you
say it looks clean, maybe you need your "look" fixed.

Maybe you're an asshole who thinks he knows something because
he owns a 22 year old AC unit at home.

Maybe you don't have a ****ing clue.

Maybe you should STFU.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free Temperature / Pressure charts for 38 Ref's http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/
meirman

In alt.home.repair on Tue, 19 Jul 2005 02:44:31 -0400
"
posted:

I'm thinking of washing from the inside because the air's pulling the

crap
in from the outside of the fins. So, I wonder if a stream strong enough
(from the outside) might force water into electrical stuff that, even

though
it's meant to be outdoors, isn't designed for a horizontal hosing. I
dunno...

Most things will dry off if you wait 2 or 3 days, but it wouldn't hurt
to wrap the motor in a big plastic trash bag. Don't forget to unwrap
it before putting the cover on.

WHY?

Why wouldn't it hurt? Why would it?

Does he need to wrap it in the rain too?

Like he said, he's going to be spraying the water from the side.
Where I come from, it rains from the top.

My AC also has a solid 8 to 10 inch disk which I think is meant to
shield the motor from rain. It's just bigger than the motor.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Dr. Hardcrab

"chevelless" wrote

I would be glad to help by walking you through it since I am retired and
don't need your business.

I can't get the pictures to come up so I don't know which model you have.
This newsgroup is a joke when it comes to helping out anyone.

Then why aren't you laughing?

Dr. Hardcrab

"Doug Kanter" wrote

I'm thinking of washing from the inside because the air's pulling the crap
in from the outside of the fins. So, I wonder if a stream strong enough
(from the outside) might force water into electrical stuff that, even
though it's meant to be outdoors, isn't designed for a horizontal hosing.
I dunno...

Speaking of horizontal hosing...

I dated this girl in school once........