a/c fan squeals

Old July 18th 05, 02:47 AM
badgolferman

Default a/c fan squeals

My home A/C Carrier brand outside unit fan is squealing. It is
probably 15 years old but I don't know for sure since I've lived here
for seven years and the house was built in 1990. When I bang on the
cover it goes away for a while.

Is this something I can remove and grease the bearings or is it a
sealed unit and not worth fixing?

If I call a repairman what should I expect pricewise?

If this is repairable any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

--
No matter what happens someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
Old July 18th 05, 03:02 AM
Stormin Mormon

Usually not dificult for a repairman to reoil a fan motor.

Since it hasn't had maint in a while, it needs cleaning, and check the
freon. I'd expect the clean and check special, under a hundred bucks.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old July 18th 05, 03:08 AM
Stretch

Sounds like the fan bearings are shot. When it starts to squeal, It is
usually too late to oil it. However, you can try if it has oil ports
on the side of the motor. Add 20 drops of 20 or 30 weight
non-detergent motor oil to each port. DO NOT use WD40 or sewing
machine oil or penetrating oil. Use a squeeze bottle with a small
nozzle on the end to get the oil in.

If that doesn't help, you are looking at $200.00 to $350.00 depending
on rates in your area. Should take 1.5 to 2 hours to diagnose and
replace the motor. You will pay more if the fan blade cannot be
reused.

Stretch

Old July 18th 05, 03:16 AM
QUIRT EVANS

most all newer fan motors are sealed and will need to be replaced.

Old July 18th 05, 04:54 AM
George E. Cawthon

badgolferman wrote:
My home A/C Carrier brand outside unit fan is squealing. It is
probably 15 years old but I don't know for sure since I've lived here
for seven years and the house was built in 1990. When I bang on the
cover it goes away for a while.

Is this something I can remove and grease the bearings or is it a
sealed unit and not worth fixing?

If I call a repairman what should I expect pricewise?

If this is repairable any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Getting to the fan and the motor should be
relatively easy. Remove a few screws and the top
will pull off. Turn the power off first. With
the top off, rotate the fan and feel if it is
rough. A 20 year old motor will usually have
dimples where the oil will go into the bearings.
To do a good job of oiling, you need to take it
out, remove the end caps, and clean the shafts,
but you can just add some oil with a plastic
bottle that has a long flexible spout such as Zoom
Oil. I would use a maximum of 10 drops on each
end. Turn the power on and try it before putting
the top back on, then turn the power off, do
whatever, and put the top back on.

Old July 18th 05, 05:09 AM
George E. Cawthon

Stretch wrote:
Sounds like the fan bearings are shot. When it starts to squeal, It is
usually too late to oil it. However, you can try if it has oil ports
on the side of the motor. Add 20 drops of 20 or 30 weight
non-detergent motor oil to each port. DO NOT use WD40 or sewing
machine oil or penetrating oil. Use a squeeze bottle with a small
nozzle on the end to get the oil in.

If that doesn't help, you are looking at $200.00 to $350.00 depending
on rates in your area. Should take 1.5 to 2 hours to diagnose and
replace the motor. You will pay more if the fan blade cannot be
reused.

Stretch

A squeal doesn't necessarily mean the bearing is
shot. And, $200 to $350 for a motor is a rip off.
What is to diagnose? it either continues to
squeal after adding oil or it doesn't.
Replacement, at least in my unit, shouldn't take
more than 1/2 hour start to finish no matter how
klutzy one is--unplug the fan wires and remove a
few bolts.

If the oil doesn't fix the OP's fan and the OP has
any mechanical skills, he ought get the model
number, go to a parts place and order the motor
(and fan blade if needed), and replace it himself.

Glad I don't live where you are. It only cost me
$50 bucks to have a tech check the gas pressures
and voltages/amps, add a little bit of gas, and
oil the motor. Took about 20-25 minutes, most of
which he spent talking to me and answering my
questions.
Old July 18th 05, 05:55 AM
TURTLE

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Stretch wrote:
[...]

This is Turtle

George , I have never changed a fan motor , from start of figuring out what it
is to driving off , in 30 minutes in my life. in most cases you will spend 2
hours travel time , changing the motor, and writting the bill but you might be
faster.

Now George did you hear the words Carrier condenser unit fan motor which can be
about 15 years of age. That would be the carrier Condenser fan motor with wing
ears on it and cost me about $120.00 + Tax, and capasitor. So Figure about
$145.00 atleast. Then the truck , me, the help will get about $100.00 out of
this. So your looking at $245.00+ atleast if i give the motor to you at
wholesale. If not your looking at $345.00 + here.

George , I live in the Depressed income area and these are the prices here and
you must be Super Depressed to say Less than $200.00 for a Carrier wing Ear
motor.

TURTLE

Old July 18th 05, 12:35 PM
Gideon

QUIRT EVANS wrote:

most all newer fan motors are sealed

Somewhat true.

and will need to be replaced.

Absolutely not true.

Old July 18th 05, 12:49 PM
Dr. Hardcrab

"George E. Cawthon" wrote

Glad I don't live where you are. It only cost me $50 bucks to have a tech
check the gas pressures and voltages/amps, add a little bit of gas, and
oil the motor. Took about 20-25 minutes, most of which he spent talking
to me and answering my questions.

Did the cost include a 6 pack of beer for Bubba too?

Added "a little bit of gas", huh? How did he determined that it needed that?

I hate to see what happens if you have a real problem.

Old July 18th 05, 03:28 PM
badgolferman

Stretch, 7/17/2005, 10:08:48 PM,
.com wrote:

Sounds like the fan bearings are shot. When it starts to squeal, It
is usually too late to oil it. However, you can try if it has oil
ports on the side of the motor. Add 20 drops of 20 or 30 weight
non-detergent motor oil to each port. DO NOT use WD40 or sewing
machine oil or penetrating oil. Use a squeeze bottle with a small
nozzle on the end to get the oil in.

If that doesn't help, you are looking at $200.00 to $350.00 depending
on rates in your area. Should take 1.5 to 2 hours to diagnose and
replace the motor. You will pay more if the fan blade cannot be
reused.

Stretch

What about light machine oil -- 5W? Is that the same as sewing machine
oil or penetrating oil?