Snydley

Default garage doors

I'm having a 2 car garage built in the next month,( from a new pole barn, 2
story), and am looking into the many options in garage doors. Do any of you
have any suggestions on what type of door is best, sectional, roller, up and
over etc., and can you recommend any certain brand, or any brand to stay
away from? I've got some time to decide and I don't want to make a mistake,
hence the reason for this message.
I am thinking about buying the doors myself and having a friend install
them with me. The Amish are building the barn, and they will cut the
openings for me, I will be installing the doors.
As it stands now, I am leaning towards Wayne Dalton insulated sectional
doors purchased from our local Lowes hardware store, but the more I look
into this the more I like the idea of the rolling door type, no overhead
track to deal with. Has anyone had any experience with them?
Thanks,
Snyde

SQLit

"Snydley" wrote in message
[...]

Rolling doors like at the mini storage are not intended for daily use. We
have the rolling doors at work with motors on them. They work great. Not
insulated however.
Sure glad I did not have to pay for them...

Snydley

"SQLit" wrote in message

"Snydley" wrote in message
[...]

I was wondering how durable and secure they were. I guess I'll stick with
sectional doors then.
Thanks,
Snyde

Edwin Pawlowski

"Snydley" wrote in message
As it stands now, I am leaning towards Wayne Dalton insulated sectional
doors purchased from our local Lowes hardware store, but the more I look
into this the more I like the idea of the rolling door type, no overhead
track to deal with. Has anyone had any experience with them?
Thanks,
Snyde

Look at places other than Lowes. I had my door installed by Overhead Door
Company and the were very competitive and,IMO, a better quality door. Some
of the better brands and styles are carried by the local dealers.

The only rolling doors I'm familiar with are rather industrial looking, but
then, I've probably not seen every door available either. They work, they
tend to be noisy.
Ed

Art

See if there is a Wayne Dalton store near you and check their price on the
door and installation. I bet it is cheaper then Lowes by a lot. Excellent
doors in any case and check out their IDrive openers that go right above the
door.

"Snydley" wrote in message
[...]

Charlie

I installed a 12' wide rolling door in my shop a year and a half ago,
because I didn't want the restricted headroom caused by a standard garage
sectional door when open.
It's opened/closed 3-4 times a day with no problems whatsoever over the last
18 months. I bought the insulated version, with manual chain hoist, from
Dalton. Installed it myself.

Charlie

"SQLit" wrote in message

"Snydley" wrote in message
[...]

Snydley

Wayne Dalton are the doors I saw at Lowes. I'm thinking now about biting the
bullet and paying a garage door company to do the doors. The guy I talked
to, after I originally wrote this message, was saying that they should be
"framed in" using 4x4s and to make sure the opening was cut correctly. I'm
thinking now I'll just have a door company do it. I don't want to screw
anything up.

Thanks,
Snyde

k.net...

"Snydley" wrote in message
[...]

Bob G.

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:21:53 GMT, "Snydley"
wrote:

[...]

====================================
Yes I have 3 "roll up" doors on my one garage.... I purchased them
because I restore cars (as a hobby) and have a couple of lifts ...with
the roll up doors I do not have any problems with opening or closing
the doors when a car is UP on a lift...

Gosh the doors have been in use for a good 10 years....absolutely no
problem with them... They are not insulated however....which is
really not a problem for me since that garage is not kept heated...

In Short I really like them... and someday plan on replacing the 2
regular sectional doors in my orther garage with roll up doors...

Lots of luck....

Bob Griffiths

dave

Snydley wrote:
I'm having a 2 car garage built in the next month,( from a new pole barn, 2
story), and am looking into the many options in garage doors. Do any of you
have any suggestions on what type of door is best,

depends on numerous factors: WIDTH and HEIGHT of door (or doors) you
desire? is zoning an issue? maybe "the Amish" can build you some doors
of matching material that're either suspended from tracks, or roll
(sideways, OR outward from the center) on wheels...

sectional, roller, up and
over etc., and can you recommend any certain brand, or any brand to stay
away from? I've got some time to decide and I don't want to make a mistake,
hence the reason for this message.
I am thinking about buying the doors myself and having a friend install
them with me. The Amish are building the barn, and they will cut the
openings for me, I will be installing the doors.

you never stated opening size: height OR width...strikes me as 'having
the Amish cut an opening' is silly. normally, such large openings
should've been 'planned for' at the onset, dimensionally, and pole
spacing/opening sizes 'planned for' before construction undertaken, in
the building framing...

As it stands now, I am leaning towards Wayne Dalton insulated sectional
doors purchased from our local Lowes hardware store,

insulated doors are 'swell', but is the BUILDING insulated? if not, why
bother?
but the more I look
into this the more I like the idea of the rolling door type, no overhead
track to deal with. Has anyone had any experience with them?
Thanks,
Snyde

your main consideration is looks? price? strength? insulation? size of
the opening?

this question is a "little on the too broad side" to answer directly...

good luck

toolie
Snydley

Sorry I was so general before. I am thinking about a 8'x7' doors or
maybe taller, depending on price. I just want 2 doors that are
functional, with openers, nothing fancy just standard doors. I'm more
interested in functionality and dependability than fancy looks. The barn
is being "planned", it's a 28'x40' barn, poles are laid out according to
the size of the barn. It will have 10' high 1st floor walls. Alot of
barns are built by the Amish around here, they are less expensive than
an outside contractor, and will work well for what I need. They build
them all the time, and I'm leaving the details to them. I'm going to
insulate it eventually, hence insulated doors. More and more I'm
thinking about having a garage door company do them. That way they can
frame them in and make everything right. I'm leaning toward Raynor
doors. Heard anything good, or bad about them? The dealer I talked to
will frame them in, install them with torsion springs and openers for
$900+ a piece.

Snyde