Default Leaning retaining wall

In front of my garage there are a wall on each side. The left side is
stable because it is more than just a wall, it is a planter box 7'h
x6'w (constructed of house brick and morter). The right wall is
leaning inward about 10 degrees or more (7'h x6'w). The leaning wall
appears to be appears stable. There is soil behind the leaning wall
aproximently 4' up.

Who do I need to contact to work on this?
What kind of work should I expect them to do to upright this wall?

C_kubie

Harry K

In front of my garage there are a wall on each side. The left side is
stable because it is more than just a wall, it is a planter box 7'h
x6'w (constructed of house brick and morter). The right wall is
leaning inward about 10 degrees or more (7'h x6'w). The leaning wall
appears to be appears stable. There is soil behind the leaning wall
aproximently 4' up.

Who do I need to contact to work on this?
What kind of work should I expect them to do to upright this wall?

C_kubie

I assume it is a concrete wall. The bad news is that it is going to
keep getting worse. More bad news is that it probably can't be
restored to upright but will be torn out and redone. The original
installation appears to have been wrong, probably no footing, no
deadmen back into the bank, no drainage holes, no rock/rubble backfill,
just built and backfilled with dirt. Just assuming things based on
what I have seen in the past. Call a concrete contractor or bite the
bullet, have it dismantled and replaced with the fancy retaining wall
blocks. They look much better than bare concrete anyhow.

Harry K

Colbyt

wrote in message
ups.com...
In front of my garage there are a wall on each side. The left side is
stable because it is more than just a wall, it is a planter box 7'h
x6'w (constructed of house brick and morter). The right wall is
leaning inward about 10 degrees or more (7'h x6'w). The leaning wall
appears to be appears stable. There is soil behind the leaning wall
aproximently 4' up.

Who do I need to contact to work on this?
What kind of work should I expect them to do to upright this wall?

C_kubie

Most likely can't be repaired. Replacement is the most likely course.

The good news is it may be a LONG time before it becomes a problem. In my
case it took 18 years for a wall that was 10 degrees out of plumb to get to
the point where it fell. It really did not look all that bad for 15 of those
years. And this was in a sitaution with very active hydrostatic pressure.
Mine wasn't 7' tall so YMMV.

Keep a close watch on it.

Colbyt

The wall is house brick and morter.
(it isn't poured concrete.

The bricks that were used match the front of the house, garage, and the
wal on the other side of the garage. If it would have to be rebuilt,
it would have to be done with the existing brick or nothing would
match.

It is probably 35-45 years old. There is about 4 feet of dirt behind
it.

Don Young

Returning the existing wall to vertical would not likely be practical or a
long term solution. I would consider dismantling the wall and reusing the
bricks to rebuild it with the proper footing, drainage, and anchors. If the
dirt behind is only 4 ft high, dry, and solid it probably would not be
necessary to excavate it. Google or your local library can provide the
needed information if you want to do it yourself or ensure that a contractor
does it properly. If built improperly it will likely not be evident until
the builder is long gone.
Don Young

ups.com...