"Z Flashing" A Bottom T1-11 Siding Edge ?

Old July 11th 05, 12:55 PM
Robert11

Default "Z Flashing" A Bottom T1-11 Siding Edge ?

Hello:

Moved into a house that has T1-11 vertical siding.

At the bottom, the siding is "finished off" with a horizontal board that
runs the width of the house.
Typical pine board, perhaps 6" X 3/4 x ...

The bottom edges of some of the siding (rests on top of the 3/4 board edge)
has wicked up water over the years, and looks as if
I'll have to replace some of it. Also, a new horizontal board, as it does
improve the looks.

It has been suggested that I make sure to have the bottom edge of the siding
where it meets the horizontal board
be flashed with a "Z Flashing". Certainly sounds like a good idea.

Found a picture of Z flashing on the web, and my question relates to the top
most vertical edge of the flashing:
Obviously there can't be a perfect seal here between the edge of the AL
flashing and the face of the siding board.

When it rains, due to small gaps between, or just capillary action, I would
imagine water seeps in and probably migrates to the bottom siding edge
(again).

Is this anything to worry about ?

Is the paint that goes over all of this supposed to seal it adequately, or
should one run a small
bead of RTV here, or... ?

Any thoughts on all of this would be most appreciated.

BTW: T1-11 still used and available ?

Thanks,
Bob

Old July 11th 05, 02:10 PM
RicodJour

Robert11 wrote:
[...]

Yes.

The upper vertical edge of that Z-flashing goes behind the upper piece
of siding, the lower edge overlaps the lower piece of siding on the
outside. A gap is left between the bottom of the top piece of siding
and the flashing.

Old July 11th 05, 04:02 PM
[email protected]

More precisely, IMHO, the up leg of the "Z" flashing goes behind any
weather barrier ( housewrap or building paper ) that is behind the
siding. It then directs water out and over the bottom horizontal trim
piece.

As Rico notes, space should be left below the T1-11, or water will
continue to wick up into the unprotected end grain of the plywood.

TB

Re. Turning Today harryc Woodturning 0 January 28th 05 09:44 PM
buying a house with Weyerhaeuser siding v Home Repair 5 March 22nd 04 04:49 AM
Can copper flashing be used over existing galvonized flashing? Jay Spenchian Home Repair 10 August 22nd 03 05:42 PM
Repairing wood siding Don Phillipson Home Repair 0 July 29th 03 04:29 PM