12volt stepdown from 36 volt system??

Old July 7th 05, 03:07 AM
Paul Oman

Default 12volt stepdown from 36 volt system??

How (and were do I get the parts) do I drop the voltage from a 36 volt
golf cart system down to 12 volts so that I can attach and auto radio to
the cart?

paul

=====
Old July 7th 05, 03:27 AM
Mark

Paul Oman wrote:
How (and were do I get the parts) do I drop the voltage from a 36 volt
golf cart system down to 12 volts so that I can attach and auto radio to
the cart?

paul

=====

Does the cart use 1 36 volt battery or 3 12 volt batteries in series.

If it uses 3 in series, your best bet may be to hook the radio to one
battery, the one that has it's negative terminal connected to ground.

Mark

Old July 7th 05, 03:51 AM
Tony Hwang

Mark wrote:

Paul Oman wrote:

How (and were do I get the parts) do I drop the voltage from a 36 volt
golf cart system down to 12 volts so that I can attach and auto radio to
the cart?

paul

=====

Does the cart use 1 36 volt battery or 3 12 volt batteries in series.

If it uses 3 in series, your best bet may be to hook the radio to one
battery, the one that has it's negative terminal connected to ground.

Mark

Hi,
Or if the current draw of the radio is know, installing drop resistor of
correct value and Wattage. Calculate with Ohm's law.
Tony
Old July 7th 05, 04:42 AM
Greg O

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hi,
Or if the current draw of the radio is know, installing drop resistor of
correct value and Wattage. Calculate with Ohm's law.
Tony

That will not work because a load like a radio is variable.
But it probably does run off 12 volt batteries, so like the first guy said,
just hook it up to one of them.
Greg

Old July 7th 05, 12:28 PM

It's not worth the effort.

Buy a portable radio that uses "D" cells,
and duct tape it to the cart

With continuous use,
you might have to change batterys every six months or so.

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 02:07:17 GMT, Paul Oman wrote:

How (and were do I get the parts) do I drop the voltage from a 36 volt
golf cart system down to 12 volts so that I can attach and auto radio to
the cart?

paul

=====

rj
Old July 7th 05, 04:04 PM
FDR

"Paul Oman" wrote in message
news
How (and were do I get the parts) do I drop the voltage from a 36 volt
golf cart system down to 12 volts so that I can attach and auto radio to
the cart?

There are simple voltage regulator circuits that one can build with parts
from Radio Schack. A couple of connectors, a board, a 12 volt regulator and
some capacitors ought to get you going. You could probably even ditch the
board. Of course, make sure you put a fuse from the battery to the
regulator.

paul

=====

Old July 7th 05, 04:05 PM
Fred

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hi,
Or if the current draw of the radio is know, installing drop resistor of
correct value and Wattage. Calculate with Ohm's law.
Tony

That will not work because a load like a radio is variable.
But it probably does run off 12 volt batteries, so like the first guy
said, just hook it up to one of them.
Greg

If he couldn't tap into a 12V source, a simple voltage divider and a fuse
should work .

Old July 7th 05, 08:28 PM
Jim Ferguson

"Paul Oman" wrote in message
news
How (and were do I get the parts) do I drop the voltage from a 36 volt
golf cart system down to 12 volts so that I can attach and auto radio to
the cart?

paul

=====

These carts use six 6-volt batteries. I hooked my 12 volt light system up
by connecting across two of the batteries.

High Velocity (i.e. Unico) vs. Conventional system [email protected] Home Repair 4 September 3rd 04 06:18 PM
Cleaning out central heating system Dave UK diy 8 December 26th 03 05:47 PM
New system nightmare Victoria UK diy 18 December 23rd 03 12:30 PM
mains Hot water, and do I convert open heating to a closed heating system Ian Tracey UK diy 5 July 18th 03 09:55 AM