Zean Smith

Default How to remove one way screw?

I bought a bicycle rack from home depot and installed it in my garage, now
my wife says it looks like ****, so now I have to move it somewhere else.
But that rack comes with One-way screws, (like this one:
http://www.hudsonfasteners.com/sec/sec_ow_rhms.htm) I can't get it
out...help...

is there a tool I can buy to remove the screw? this screws are stupid..
actually my wife is stupid too.

help.

MTLnews

I usually use a Dremel grinding wheel, and flatten out the rounded portions
and then use a normal screwdriver to remove.
Obviously the screws are no longer one way screws after that, so if you'd
need them to be, you'd need to replace them with new ones.

Good Luck..

"Zean Smith" wrote in message
I bought a bicycle rack from home depot and installed it in my garage, now
my wife says it looks like ****, so now I have to move it somewhere else.
But that rack comes with One-way screws, (like this one:
http://www.hudsonfasteners.com/sec/sec_ow_rhms.htm) I can't get it
out...help...

is there a tool I can buy to remove the screw? this screws are stupid..
actually my wife is stupid too.

help.

Charlie Bress

"Zean Smith" wrote in message
I bought a bicycle rack from home depot and installed it in my garage, now
my wife says it looks like ****, so now I have to move it somewhere else.
But that rack comes with One-way screws, (like this one:
http://www.hudsonfasteners.com/sec/sec_ow_rhms.htm) I can't get it
out...help...

is there a tool I can buy to remove the screw? this screws are stupid..
actually my wife is stupid too.

help.

Not sure if the stuff in this set will work, but check the rest of the
things they have for a better tool.

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/ht/OD01

Charlie

Rus

"Zean Smith" wrote in news:V9udncETOaZ7sy7fRVn-
:

I bought a bicycle rack from home depot and installed it in my garage, now
my wife says it looks like ****, so now I have to move it somewhere else.
But that rack comes with One-way screws, (like this one:
http://www.hudsonfasteners.com/sec/sec_ow_rhms.htm) I can't get it
out...help...

is there a tool I can buy to remove the screw? this screws are stupid..
actually my wife is stupid too.

help.

At the same site you linked, Hudson calls it the un-do-it.
http://www.hudsonfasteners.com/sec/s...itscrwdrvr.htm

or

Screw Extractors like:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/searc...essionID=@@@@2
018601020.1119041156@@@@&BV_EngineID=cckeaddellkee fmcegecegjdghldghh.0&bidsit
e=CRAFT&targetPage=%2Fmercado%2Fsearchall.jsp&vert ical=SEARS&x=0&y=0&displayT
arget=searchresults

//rus//
Rus

"Charlie Bress" wrote in news:OYqdnRFLbLDEqS7fRVn-
:

"Zean Smith" wrote in message
I bought a bicycle rack from home depot and installed it in my garage, now
my wife says it looks like ****, so now I have to move it somewhere else.
But that rack comes with One-way screws, (like this one:
http://www.hudsonfasteners.com/sec/sec_ow_rhms.htm) I can't get it
out...help...

is there a tool I can buy to remove the screw? this screws are stupid..
actually my wife is stupid too.

help.

Not sure if the stuff in this set will work, but check the rest of the
things they have for a better tool.

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/ht/OD01

Charlie

Wow. That's a cool set. I just ordered one after reading your post. Thanks !

//rus//

SQLit

"Zean Smith" wrote in message
I bought a bicycle rack from home depot and installed it in my garage, now
my wife says it looks like ****, so now I have to move it somewhere else.
But that rack comes with One-way screws, (like this one:
http://www.hudsonfasteners.com/sec/sec_ow_rhms.htm) I can't get it
out...help...

is there a tool I can buy to remove the screw? this screws are stupid..
actually my wife is stupid too.

help.

A pair of vice grips works unless the screw is counter sunk.

Method A
Special tool that others suggested.

Method B
Probably overkill -- but you can use a dab of JB Weld to adhere a hex
nut to the top of the screws and then unscrew with a socket once dry.
Just be sure not to get JB Weld on anything but the screws and hex nuts
of you'll be back with another posting.

Method C
Depending on the bike rack design you might be able to quickly grind
off the tops and then remove the piece the screws were holding on.
There will then be a nub sticking up the thickness of the piece the
screws were attaching. You can turn this nub with needle nose pliers
or may even be able to grab the nub directly with the drill chuck and
unscrew.

Hope this helps,
William

Method D?

Like MTL almost said use a dremel or something and cut a slot
then use a regular screwdriver.

Alvin in AZ
Randy Cox

"Zean Smith" wrote in message
I bought a bicycle rack from home depot and installed it in my garage, now
my wife says it looks like ****, so now I have to move it somewhere else.
But that rack comes with One-way screws, (like this one:
http://www.hudsonfasteners.com/sec/sec_ow_rhms.htm) I can't get it
out...help...

is there a tool I can buy to remove the screw? this screws are stupid..
actually my wife is stupid too.

help.

There are several good suggestions to choose from. If the others don't work
there is always the ez-out. They make a set of dies that have reverse
threads on them. You drill a small hole down the center of the shaft of the
stuck screw. Then you screw in the reverse threat die until it tightens up.
Remember, being reversed thread you screw it in counter-clockwise. When it
will screw in no more, it will remove the screw. It works for rounded bolt
heads or whatever. I've used mine maybe four times in the 15 years I've had
the set. Usually I can grip the screw head with channelocks or wirecutters
or something. If I had to find the easeouts..........that would be as big a
chore as working the screw out.

Randy R. Cox

MG

"Zean Smith" wrote in message
I bought a bicycle rack from home depot and installed it in my garage, now
my wife says it looks like ****, so now I have to move it somewhere else.
But that rack comes with One-way screws, (like this one:
http://www.hudsonfasteners.com/sec/sec_ow_rhms.htm) I can't get it
out...help...

is there a tool I can buy to remove the screw? this screws are stupid..
actually my wife is stupid too.

help.

Depending on what is around the screw and what would be left after the had
is gone, you could center punch really good, drill a small hole easy to keep
centered and than drill with a bit slightly larger than the shank until the
had fall off. The bike rack is now free, You now got to get the screw out
by grabbing the shank with players wise grips or whatever is handy.

Why did you use the one way screws in the first place?

MG

Gort

Randy Cox wrote:
"Zean Smith" wrote in message

[...]

Sears sells a boxed set of 3 sizes for about $25. That's not exactly
cheap, but IMHO well worth it when needed.

They last almost forever, and are under the Craftsman warranty.

inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know
how to ignore a posting,complain to me and I will demonstrate.

Greetings,

Return it to the store. A couple of days later come back and buy
another one.

William

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Fri, 17 Jun 2005 22:23:27 -0500 "Randy Cox"
posted:

"Zean Smith" wrote in message
I bought a bicycle rack from home depot and installed it in my garage, now
my wife says it looks like ****, so now I have to move it somewhere else.
But that rack comes with One-way screws, (like this one:
http://www.hudsonfasteners.com/sec/sec_ow_rhms.htm) I can't get it
out...help...

is there a tool I can buy to remove the screw? this screws are stupid..
actually my wife is stupid too.

help.

There are several good suggestions to choose from. If the others don't work
there is always the ez-out. They make a set of dies that have reverse
threads on them. You drill a small hole down the center of the shaft of the

A variation on this is to use a left-handed drill bit when drilling
the hole, and run the drill backwards. I don't know how big these
screws are or what they are in or how well stuck they are, and like
you I'm not saying this is the first option to try. I started doing
this when I needed to dissassemble B&D appliances that used screws
with weird heads**. Often they started to come out when the hole was
just more than barely started. (later I got a set of bits for wierd
screws)

**to keep people from repairing their own applicances. Once I took
apart an air pump cigarette lighter plug, and inside was a blown fuse.
Easy to replace, for 35 cents. What would the service department have
done?

Left-handed drill bit start cheap enough but get expensive real soon
as the size gets bigger. Can find them at almost no stores**,
probably only Vermont American on the web.

***Although it was fun to ask clerks and see if they believed me.

stuck screw. Then you screw in the reverse threat die until it tightens up.
Remember, being reversed thread you screw it in counter-clockwise. When it
will screw in no more, it will remove the screw. It works for rounded bolt
heads or whatever. I've used mine maybe four times in the 15 years I've had
the set. Usually I can grip the screw head with channelocks or wirecutters
or something. If I had to find the easeouts..........that would be as big a
chore as working the screw out.

Randy R. Cox

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Gene

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 16:13:23 -0400, "Zean Smith"
wrote:

I bought a bicycle rack from home depot and installed it in my garage, now
my wife says it looks like ****, so now I have to move it somewhere else.
But that rack comes with One-way screws, (like this one:
http://www.hudsonfasteners.com/sec/sec_ow_rhms.htm) I can't get it
out...help...

is there a tool I can buy to remove the screw?

The answer is on the same page...Go and buy one...

THE UN-DO-IT TOOL IS NECESSARY FOR REMOVAL.
Randy Cox

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings,

Return it to the store. A couple of days later come back and buy
another one.

William

I don't think that is an option. That's why they had "one way screws". You
could buy the rack and take it out of the store, but you couldn't return
it...."one way screws". Nevermind...bad joke!

Randy R. Cox

ameijers

"MG" wrote in message
ink.net...

(snip)

Depending on what is around the screw and what would be left after the had
is gone, you could center punch really good, drill a small hole easy to

keep
centered and than drill with a bit slightly larger than the shank until

the
had fall off. The bike rack is now free, You now got to get the screw

out
by grabbing the shank with players wise grips or whatever is handy.

Why did you use the one way screws in the first place?

What?! A sensible reply on Usenet? What is the world coming to?

That was my first thought on seeing OP's post- one-way screws are for public
restrooms and similar vandal and theft-prone locations. Why would
manufacturer supply those for a home-use product? Dumb to supply them, dumb
to use them.

aem sends...

equalizer

wrote:

I bought a bicycle rack from home depot and installed it in my garage, now
my wife says it looks like ****, so now I have to move it somewhere else.
But that rack comes with One-way screws, (like this one:
http://www.hudsonfasteners.com/sec/sec_ow_rhms.htm) I can't get it
out...help...

is there a tool I can buy to remove the screw? this screws are stupid..
actually my wife is stupid too.

help.

Replace the wife with one who doesn't mind how the bike rack looks.

HTH
Andy Hill

wrote:

I bought a bicycle rack from home depot and installed it in my garage, now
my wife says it looks like ****, so now I have to move it somewhere else.
But that rack comes with One-way screws, (like this one:
http://www.hudsonfasteners.com/sec/sec_ow_rhms.htm) I can't get it
out...help...

is there a tool I can buy to remove the screw? this screws are stupid..
actually my wife is stupid too.

help.

What are you doing letting your wife in your garage?

A mans gotta have some privacy!

I hear some folks park their cars in the garage. Dumbass practice if you ask
me, but that's folk for ya.

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

"Zean Smith" wrote in message

[...]

When I run into these, or even just an old screw around the house,
Depending on the situation I usually drill them out. Once you drill
that hole in the screw, the screw should loose a lot of its sticking
power anyway. Just insert the thingy and tap a few times, then back it out.

Right too for the right job. Dont try to just rig something up, way
easier to buy the thing and remove it. Can't remember what its called
though.

In situations like bathroom doors where both ends of the screw are
exposed I usually dont need the tool, and can just drill the whole screw
out. If you get the right size bit, the screw will eventually come out
when you reverse the drill. (if its exposed on both sidez)

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

For a free Java interface to Freechess.org see
http://www.rigidsoftware.com/Chess/chess.html

Can't remember what its called though.
CL Gilbert

"easy out"

I prefer to "dremel" (new verb a slot in the top and use a regular
screw driver. YMMV

Alvin in AZ

SteveB

Having dealt with a few as a wrought iron man, they can be a booger.

Cut a slot with a dremel.

Sears now sells some kind of thingus that sounds like it might work.

Grind the head off with a grinder, then take the shaft out with ViseGrips.

Tell your wife she's an adult and to cope.

Steve

Goedjn

On 20 Jun 2005 14:59:21 -0400, Philip Lewis
wrote:

curious why "cut" wouldn't do.

I hate it when people verb nouns. ^_^

"It's not the verbing that weirds the
language, it's the renounification."
-I forget who.
Junior Member

I bought a bicycle rack from home depot......

I think Sears and others make a drill bit attachment for removing stripped slot or phillips screws. I thing that might work.

ShakyMark