Corinne

Default Fence Question

My neighbor has a fence and the back side faces my backyard.

Can I paint it to match the color of my house, or do I need his
permission first?

Thanks.

Corinne
G Henslee

Corinne wrote:
My neighbor has a fence and the back side faces my backyard.

Can I paint it to match the color of my house, or do I need his
permission first?

Thanks.

Corinne

Is it a common fence on the property line? If so, I'd paint away. That
is if I was into painted fences...

But then you said your ..."neighbor has a fence"... That would make it
his property and therefore you couldn't paint it w/o his permission.
What's hard about this for you?

Kyle Boatright

"Corinne" wrote in message
My neighbor has a fence and the back side faces my backyard.

Can I paint it to match the color of my house, or do I need his permission
first?

Thanks.

Corinne

If it is on his property, you need to ask. Regardless of the fence's
location, you'll ask anyway, or at least get his input. It would be kind of
futile if you painted the fence this week, and he was planning on tearing it
down next week...

Also, if he says yes, do a good job, keep the paint on your side without
bleed-through, and don't make a mess he has to deal with.

HeyBub

Corinne wrote:
My neighbor has a fence and the back side faces my backyard.

Can I paint it to match the color of my house, or do I need his
permission first?

Thanks.

Corinne

Try a rephrase: "My neighbor has a side of his house that faces my
backyard..."

If you paid half of the cost of the fence, which you should have done, you
have an equal interest in the fence and can, I would think, paint it. Absent
any financial interest, best not.

Edwin Pawlowski

"HeyBub" wrote in message
If you paid half of the cost of the fence, which you should have done,

Why should he have paid for part of the fence? If my neighbor puts up a
fence, that is his business, not mine and I'll be damned if I'd pay a penny
of it.

m Ransley

Ask, if he says no, its no.

SteveB

"Corinne" wrote in message
My neighbor has a fence and the back side faces my backyard.

Can I paint it to match the color of my house, or do I need his permission
first?

Thanks.

Cut through the BS. Go to the neighbor. TELL him what you would like to
do. ASK him if the fence is on HIS property, or if it is a property line
common fence. ASK him if he has any preferences (you are going to paint it
whatever color you want anyway), and IF he would like to share the cost or
labor.

Maybe it will be a win/win deal where he was wanting to paint it anyway, and
might spring for the paint/labor/both.

The direct approach should always be step one.

After that, you have to get devious ...................... ;-)

Steve

Edwin Pawlowski

"SteveB" wrote in message
Cut through the BS. Go to the neighbor. TELL him what you would like to
do. ASK him if the fence is on HIS property, or if it is a property line
common fence. ASK him if he has any preferences (you are going to paint
it whatever color you want anyway), and IF he would like to share the cost
or labor.

Hey, keep out of this. If people actually start talking to their neighbors
there will be no use for newsgroups and information on tree cutting and dog
crap.

Corinne

Thank you.

This is a new fence, and a must have as he has a swimming pool.

For now, the fence looks great, but I am thinking out of the box, i.e,
what if in three years it looks old and tacky. I am hoping I get to
know this neighbor way before then and I will definitely ask him.
He just put in the new fence two months ago.

I was just trying to get some input ahead of time.

any thanks.

Corinne

Kyle Boatright wrote:
"Corinne" wrote in message

My neighbor has a fence and the back side faces my backyard.

Can I paint it to match the color of my house, or do I need his permission
first?

Thanks.

Corinne

If it is on his property, you need to ask. Regardless of the fence's
location, you'll ask anyway, or at least get his input. It would be kind of
futile if you painted the fence this week, and he was planning on tearing it
down next week...

Also, if he says yes, do a good job, keep the paint on your side without
bleed-through, and don't make a mess he has to deal with.

Corinne

Good advice Steve, and I would ask beforehand anyway.

I have never had a problem with a neighbor, and am closing on this home
in three weeks. I am thinking ahead, and appreciate the advice.

Corinne
"Corinne" wrote in message

My neighbor has a fence and the back side faces my backyard.

Can I paint it to match the color of my house, or do I need his permission
first?

Thanks.

Cut through the BS. Go to the neighbor. TELL him what you would like to
do. ASK him if the fence is on HIS property, or if it is a property line
common fence. ASK him if he has any preferences (you are going to paint it
whatever color you want anyway), and IF he would like to share the cost or
labor.

Maybe it will be a win/win deal where he was wanting to paint it anyway, and
might spring for the paint/labor/both.

The direct approach should always be step one.

After that, you have to get devious ...................... ;-)

Steve

Suzie-Q

-
- Can I paint it to match the color of my house, or do I need his
- permission first?
-
- Thanks.
-
- Corinne

I'd go ahead and paint it, but be absolutely sure that the paint
stays on your side. You don't want his side to have paint dripping
through the cracks. Frankly, I don't know how you could do it. Maybe
someone here has painted one side of a fence.

Another idea would be to clean it and protect it with something like
a deck/wood protector. That way it shouldn't look bad in a few years.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/
DJ

If you have no intention to make use of the fence now or the future, then
guess it doesn't make sense for you to spend $$$ on it. However if down the
road you decide to build a fence in your back yard, you may want to attach
it to his fence that's already up?

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news

"HeyBub" wrote in message
If you paid half of the cost of the fence, which you should have done,

Why should he have paid for part of the fence? If my neighbor puts up a
fence, that is his business, not mine and I'll be damned if I'd pay a

penny
of it.

Chip C

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
If you paid half of the cost of the fence, which you should have done,

Why should he have paid for part of the fence? If my neighbor puts up a
fence, that is his business, not mine and I'll be damned if I'd pay a penny
of it.

In some places, the rule is that if either neighbour wants a fence,
they can put one up on the property line and force the other neighbour
to pay for half the cost. The cost is based on a "basic" fence, ie the
cheapest chainlink that can be found, and the nicer side, if there is
one, must face the neighbour that didn't ask for it. Of course if the
two parties are on speaking terms they can come to whatever agreeement
suits them.

That's the way it works around here. Someone posted a legal term to
this NG a while ago, something like "adverse benefit" or something. The
idea is that the law recogizes a fence as a benefit to you even if you
don't want it. Like airbags. Don't want them? Tough. Gotta have them,
gotta pay for them.

I guess an implicit corollary is that the neighbour is permitted to set
foot on the other property to put the fence up, too.

From what I read on this NG, in other places that seems not to be the

way things work and fences on property lines are rare.

Chip C
Toronto

If I was closing on this house, I'd know where the property lines were
and where the fence sits before I bought it. If it's on the neighbor's
property, then it's his fence and you're not gonna paint it without his
permission. If it's a shared fence right on the property line, then
it's generally jointly owned and you could paint your side.

Suzie-Q

In article .com,
"Chip C" wrote:

- That's the way it works around here. Someone posted a legal term to
- this NG a while ago, something like "adverse benefit" or something. The
- idea is that the law recogizes a fence as a benefit to you even if you
- don't want it.

Actually, in some cases a fence can be a bad thing. A police officer told
my neighbor (when I lived in NC) that homes with privacy fences are more
often the targets of burglars than homes with no fences or only chain link
fences.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
http://www.intergnat.com/pussygames/
SteveB

wrote in message
ps.com...
If I was closing on this house, I'd know where the property lines were
and where the fence sits before I bought it. If it's on the neighbor's
property, then it's his fence and you're not gonna paint it without his
permission. If it's a shared fence right on the property line, then
it's generally jointly owned and you could paint your side.

Very sound advice. But if you are going to be neighbors, it is a good idea
to go and talk to them about it. This is a way to get to know them before
buying. You will know in advance whether they are good/bad.

Steve

Michelle and Steve

"Corinne" wrote in message
My neighbor has a fence and the back side faces my backyard.

Can I paint it to match the color of my house, or do I need his permission
first?

Thanks.

Corinne

Just an observation, but what a statement of how sad things have become that
it was some time before anyone even SUGGESTED just asking the neighbour what
they thought, and instead brought up legal points etc........

Yanno, if everyone was on just a LITTLE bit better terms with their
neighbours, life would be easier. Where I live I know about 50% of the
people on my street, and they know me. It comes in handy because then
people keep an eye out for each other a little more. If you're new to the
neighbourhood, introduce yourself around and be friendly. You just might be
surprised at the reception you'd get.

I know, I know, I'm a dreamer........

Stevie Z
--
Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride - HST, RIP.

Pop

"Michelle and Steve" wrote in message

"Corinne" wrote in message
[...]

No, you're not a dreamer; that works, and makes life
good.

An ex-Chicagoan
northwest, Belmont/Central

Rick R

If you painted a fence and did not ask the owner then you would be liable
for any damages. Including the cost of removing or repainting to the owners
preference.

"Suzie-Q" wrote in message
In article , Corinne