Dean Swinger

Default stucco roll or spray?

Were going to be painting our house which is stuccoed my question is
which would be better? should i use a brush and roller or a paint
sprayer? and if i do use a sprayer would i be better off buying one
from hd or renting one my budget will only allow me to spend $300.00
for one which is the max dx model is this a good model or would i save
time money and frustration by renting? the house is small enough to be
sprayed in one day.
SQLit

"Dean Swinger" wrote in message
Were going to be painting our house which is stuccoed my question is
which would be better? should i use a brush and roller or a paint
sprayer? and if i do use a sprayer would i be better off buying one
from hd or renting one my budget will only allow me to spend $300.00
for one which is the max dx model is this a good model or would i save
time money and frustration by renting? the house is small enough to be
sprayed in one day.

I have sprayed stucco several times. I would not even consider rolling it.

Rent or buy is your choice. How much painting are you planning on doing in
the future?

Airless sprayers work well for big areas. Inside the mist goes everywhere.
Outside you need to be careful of your neighbors cars if there is any wind.
Inside complete and total masking is necessary. Getting used to the sprayer
and what it is for is a primary concern. The orifice in the gun will let X
amount of paint through given a specific paint. I use 1 gallon of clean
filtered water to 5 of latex stucco paint. Helps keep the paint flowing in
the sprayer. I do 3 passes on everything, up-down, side to side, then
diagonal. My painting procedures work for me.

dadiOH

Dean Swinger wrote:
Were going to be painting our house which is stuccoed my question is
which would be better?

When we painted our stucco a while back when house was new I figured a
sprayer would make it duck soup so I bought one. Sprayed wonderfully
but it took so much time to mask soffits, windows, etc. that I switched
to a power roller, loooooong nap.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

m Ransley

Spray can travel 100ft even with what you may feel is no wind. Ive
sprayed alot and have had to clean a few cars. If neighbors are next
door be carefull and be sure nothing is downwind. You can rent, but if
it is to windy you cant spray if something is down wind. Use a handheld
paint shield, and mask and tape. spraying is easy, its the prep. ruin a
neighbors car and its trouble.

Rudy

We borrowed a neighbors..3/4 HP Campbell Hausfield. Put the input hose
right into the 5 gal pails and sprayed away.
Used 120 gallons of paint inside and out. Worked great. I'd go rent one

Were going to be painting our house which is stuccoed my question is
which would be better? should i use a brush and roller or a paint
sprayer? and if i do use a sprayer would i be better off buying one
from hd or renting one my budget will only allow me to spend $300.00
for one which is the max dx model is this a good model or would i save
time money and frustration by renting? the house is small enough to be
sprayed in one day.

Dean Swinger

120 gallons good lord thats alot of paint I was thinking 10-15 gallons
on the ext. 25'x75' 1 story house.
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 07:23:06 GMT, "Rudy"
wrote:

We borrowed a neighbors..3/4 HP Campbell Hausfield. Put the input hose
right into the 5 gal pails and sprayed away.
Used 120 gallons of paint inside and out. Worked great. I'd go rent one

Were going to be painting our house which is stuccoed my question is
which would be better? should i use a brush and roller or a paint
sprayer? and if i do use a sprayer would i be better off buying one
from hd or renting one my budget will only allow me to spend $300.00
for one which is the max dx model is this a good model or would i save
time money and frustration by renting? the house is small enough to be
sprayed in one day.

m Ransley

Yea 120 gallons on 1 house a line of real bull ****.

Rudy

120 gallons good lord thats alot of paint I was thinking 10-15 gallons
on the ext. 25'x75' 1 story house.

Our place in AZ was 120' wide and averaged 20-25 feet deep. Total distance
around foundation was over 300' lin. Ext. walls upto
20' high..A very large exterior. It had an attached 3.5 car 1450 sf. garage
w/ 9' ceiling.
Total 5000 sf under roof.

I sprayed a coat of stucco seal on the whole place.. IIRC, that alone took
7 - 8 5 gal pails. Then a coat of stucco paint.
Inside and in garage, I did 2 coats of PVA drywall primer, then a coat of
interior acrylic latex throughout.

After that, I had a lot of empty 5 gallon pails..the neighbors were asking
for them for years G

BTW, after 4 years in the AZ sun, a bobcat whacked a chunk of my stucco &
underlying Styrofoam SM board on the south (sun) facing side of the house..

After I patched and retextured the stucco, I painted the patch. I was
surprised to find that after it dried, the patch blended in so well, it
couldnt be seen- the original paint hadn't faded enough to make the patch
noticeable..That was good paint.

Rudy

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Yea 120 gallons on 1 house a line of real bull ****.

So blurts another "know it all" idiot from WEB TV

Dean Swinger

Wow what a difference a sprayer makes got the whole house painted in
less than 2 hours and about 9 gal. of paint thanks for all the advice.