Blue

Default Flourescent tubes, funny thing

Why is it that when one flourescent tube goes bad they both go out? Does
that always happen or just for my tubes?

JohnR66

"Blue" wrote in message ...
Why is it that when one flourescent tube goes bad they both go out? Does
that always happen or just for my tubes?

The tubes in most rapid start twin tube magnetic ballasted fluorescent
fixtures are connected in a series circuit so a falure in one tube will
cause the other to not light or light dimly.
John

Beachcomber

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 01:32:56 GMT, "JohnR66" wrote:

"Blue" wrote in message ...
Why is it that when one flourescent tube goes bad they both go out? Does
that always happen or just for my tubes?

The tubes in most rapid start twin tube magnetic ballasted fluorescent
fixtures are connected in a series circuit so a falure in one tube will
cause the other to not light or light dimly.
John

Also, similar tubes expire at the end of their useful lives at about
the same time. In some cases, one tube might still light, but will
suffer diminished output due to staining at the electrode ends. This
is normal.

It is better and economical to replace both at the same time in either
case.. You're ballast will last longer too.

Beachcomber

Terry

"Blue" wrote in message ...
Why is it that when one flourescent tube goes bad they both go out? Does
that always happen or just for my tubes?

search google for "How fluorescent lighting works".
Note spelling "FLUORESCENT"

Mitsubishi VS6015R RPTV no sound or picture; tubes have HV BFriedl Electronics Repair 4 January 16th 07 01:22 AM
Noisy flourescent light louise UK diy 2 November 23rd 04 09:35 AM
OT A funny, hope it hasn't been posted before. Jim Woodworking 11 August 25th 04 10:22 AM
What's this leaky thing in my boiler...? - thing.jpg (0/1) fred UK diy 9 August 21st 04 10:51 PM
What's the oldest thing you've worked on? Matt J. McCullar Electronics Repair 6 June 22nd 04 11:23 AM