Default Keeping cool

wrote:

Even better are the cool vests. I decided to buy one this year
because of the excessive heat we had last summer. While they don't
prevent sweating or being hot, they do prevent overheating...
They are expensive...

EBIce makes a more expensive (~$250 vs $175) cooler with a 2'x2' flat
flexible gadget filled with tubing for medical purposes. Wrap the gadget
around some body part, eg a shoulder, put ice and water into the cooler,
and a 22 W pump moves cold water out one hose to the gadget and back into
the cooler through another, but it's hard to get a good thermal connection
between the gadget and the body part without impeding blood circulation,
and the pump has a cycle timer vs a temp control on the gadget, and you
have to unplug yourself whenever you get up to walk around the room, and
the cooler is only 6"x6"x10" inside.

We might improve this with a larger cooler and a $10 10W 1 gpm fountain
pump and a 12" flat spiral of 1/4" tubing on top of some foamboard that
sits on a chair under a person or on top of the cooler, under a person.
It might have frozen 1-liter soda bottles floating in water instead of
1-pound $25 Cool Vest ice/gel packs, like the frugal fan in Toronto, but
less wasteful of energy, since 32 F water is never discarded, and
we are only cooling a person vs a whole room.

Then again, we have concrete chairs. And a B12 (12 ga 2x3 U-shape) Unistrut
armchair with webs of closely-spaced struts touching a body and flanges
facing away might be a good heat sink. We might use 150' of strut (about
400 pounds) with lots of 1/2" bolts and right-angle connectors.

Nick

Dale Farmer

[...]

The mind boggles. Do you have pictures on the web someplace of these
chairs?

--Dale

Dale Farmer wrote:

Then again, we have concrete chairs. And a B12 (12 ga 2x3 U-shape) Unistrut
armchair with webs of closely-spaced struts touching a body and flanges
facing away might be a good heat sink. We might use 150' of strut (about
400 pounds) with lots of 1/2" bolts and right-angle connectors.

...Do you have pictures on the web someplace of these chairs?

Not yet. Picture a 4' vertical piece for a back slice plus a 2' horizontal
piece for a seat slice plus a 2' leg, bolted into an h, with 16 h slices
bolted side-by-side to make the chair, altho the extra legs wouldn't do much
for heat sinking (we might save 2x14x2x2.484 = 139 pounds with 4 vs 32 legs,
at the cost of some stability and theft-prevention and ambience.) Each arm
might be 4 2' pieces, with a 2' piece behind the back and longer front legs
A 600 pound 4'x8' Unistrut table would also be nice, with 12.5 ga high-tensile
wire and rotary fence wire tighteners for bracing. Tractor Supply sells this
200K psi "active" wire in $77 4000' rolls, with $20 spinning jennys to unwind
it and $1 springs to measure the tension. It breaks at about 1650 pounds. The
tighteners cost about $2 each. Unistrut twitch sticks would be an alternative.

Nick