Robert11

Default Screw Type Used In Norelco Electric Razor ?

Hi,

Was trying to repair my Norelco electric razor, but have hit a roadblock.

They have some incredibly small screws holding the head on.

Thought they were hex-Allen head, but now think not.

Too small, with my eyesight, to really see the head clearly; magnifier won't
fit.

Think they might be TORX headed screws ? Or ?

If Torx, any idea where to buy these ultra small wrenches that might fit ?
Home Depot, etc., do not seem to carry them.

Thanks,
Bob

cowboy

they are TORX, I forget which size, seems like T5, but can't remember for
sure which T number

something less than T10 though

have not worked on mine in a couple of years

you can get precision small TORX here

http://www.wihatools.com/267serie.htm

I will post later on which T size, but my small TORX and my razor are not in
the same location at the moment!

RicodJour

Robert11 wrote:

Was trying to repair my Norelco electric razor, but have hit a roadblock.
They have some incredibly small screws holding the head on.
Thought they were hex-Allen head, but now think not.
Too small, with my eyesight, to really see the head clearly; magnifier won't
fit.
Think they might be TORX headed screws ? Or ?
If Torx, any idea where to buy these ultra small wrenches that might fit ?
Home Depot, etc., do not seem to carry them.

Ask for the 1/4" hex shankd Torx bits for screw guns. Home Depot
should have them. Then just use a ratchet or replaceable tip
screwdriver. If HD doesn't have them (they should), try a Microcenter
computer store or automotive store.

cowboy

Grainger and other local stores will carry the Wiha german screwdrivers &
sets

here is a graphic that shows the national distributors
http://www.wihatools.com/distlink.htm

plus there are hundreds of local distributors on the state drop down menu on
that page, you probably have one within 10 miles of your house, unless you
are way out in the sticks

Edwin Pawlowski

"RicodJour" wrote in message

Ask for the 1/4" hex shankd Torx bits for screw guns. Home Depot
should have them. Then just use a ratchet or replaceable tip
screwdriver. If HD doesn't have them (they should), try a Microcenter
computer store or automotive store.

Unless, of course, they are metric and you need an M2 or M3

cowboy

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote
Unless, of course, they are metric and you need an M2 or M3

No sir

you are confusing the drive size T5, T10, etc. with the screw size M2, M3,
etc.

he is not needing a replacement screw (where the screw size needs to be
known)

he is trying to undo the fastener (only the drive size need be known)

read the poster's question carefully before throwing out a response that
will send him in the wrong direction!

RicodJour

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

Ask for the 1/4" hex shankd Torx bits for screw guns. Home Depot
should have them. Then just use a ratchet or replaceable tip
screwdriver. If HD doesn't have them (they should), try a Microcenter
computer store or automotive store.

Unless, of course, they are metric and you need an M2 or M3

Right. Norelco was bought out by Philips, I believe. Not sure where
the razors are manufactured.

Norelco has a live online help line:
http://norelco.webhelp.com/norelco/

RicodJour

cowboy wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote
Unless, of course, they are metric and you need an M2 or M3

No sir
you are confusing the drive size T5, T10, etc. with the screw size M2, M3,
etc.
he is not needing a replacement screw (where the screw size needs to be
known)
he is trying to undo the fastener (only the drive size need be known)

You're even more right. I'm going to shut up now. I think the OP has
what he needs.

Eric Tonks

Philips shavers have always been known in the US as Norelco, in Canada and
the rest of the world they were called Philipshave. I read many years ago
that Philips could not use the Philips name because there already was a
Philips electronic company operating in the US, they sold under the name of
Philco.

That company has long gone, so Philips now uses it own name except for
shavers, because the brand Norelco was so well known. By the way, in Canada
Norelco was a telephone manufacturing company Northern Electric Company, a
division of Bell Telephone similar to the Western Electric Company that Bell
used to own in the US. Northern Electric Company has separated from Bell and
morphed a number of times and is now know as NorTel, whose stocks have been
plummeting lately.

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

Ask for the 1/4" hex shankd Torx bits for screw guns. Home Depot
should have them. Then just use a ratchet or replaceable tip
screwdriver. If HD doesn't have them (they should), try a Microcenter
computer store or automotive store.

Unless, of course, they are metric and you need an M2 or M3

Right. Norelco was bought out by Philips, I believe. Not sure where
the razors are manufactured.

Norelco has a live online help line:
http://norelco.webhelp.com/norelco/

Edwin Pawlowski

"Eric Tonks" etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM wrote in message
anews.com...
Philips shavers have always been known in the US as Norelco, in Canada and
the rest of the world they were called Philipshave. I read many years ago
that Philips could not use the Philips name because there already was a
Philips electronic company operating in the US, they sold under the name
of
Philco.

That's interesting. Philco met its demise probably 25+ years ago, but about
three years ago I saw the name used on TV sets sold by K Mart. Frigidaire
makes air conditioners under many names and they also made some under the
Philco label, but I don't know who was selling them.

Phillips has had a pretty good reputation in recent years for electronics.
Given the time difference between the loss of Philco and the newer Phillips,
I've never confused them so I guess the strategy worked.

cowboy

mine is a Torx T8

I bet that all Norelco's are that size.

every one I have ever seen is the same size

I think even larger Sears stores should have a Torx T8 screwdriver in stock.

cowboy

here it is at Sears:

http://tinyurl.com/dtalb

Jmagerl

I believe that Ford Motor bought Philco when they made car radios and
morphed it into their electronics group.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

[...]

Home Depot not for Do-It-Yourself'ers? Joseph Home Repair 32 March 24th 04 07:50 PM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
munet digital electric watthour meter login problem INTERESTING TECHNOLOGY! jack morgan Home Repair 0 November 15th 03 07:21 PM
Electric Heater Denver Woody Woodworking 6 October 2nd 03 09:43 PM
What TYPE PC 557 is Amazon Shipping Fly-by-Night CC Woodworking 3 July 13th 03 03:56 PM