Bruce K.

Default How do I drill 90 degrees into wood without a drill press?

I'm trying to attach an unfinished headboard to a bed frame.

This requires me to drill 4 holes into the wood to mount the headboard
to the bed frame.

Is there any cheap guide or tool that will let me drill these holes
with a portable drill?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bruce
Ken

Bruce K. wrote:
I'm trying to attach an unfinished headboard to a bed frame.

This requires me to drill 4 holes into the wood to mount the headboard
to the bed frame.

Is there any cheap guide or tool that will let me drill these holes
with a portable drill?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bruce

I can't see your headboard, but are you sure you need to drill exact 90
degree angles? If you are just drilling through, say, 3/4" wood to put
screws or bolts into the bed frame, you shouldn't need to do much of
anything special.

If you really need to drill accurate 90s with something inexpensive,
you can get drill attachments such as this:

http://tinyurl.com/9w452

Ken

Doug Miller

In article , Bruce K. wrote:
I'm trying to attach an unfinished headboard to a bed frame.

This requires me to drill 4 holes into the wood to mount the headboard
to the bed frame.

Is there any cheap guide or tool that will let me drill these holes
with a portable drill?

Google for "Portalign". I don't know if these are still being made, but there
are three of them on eBay at this moment. Prices range from $7 to $9.15 US.

Or, same idea, a little pricier, but possibly better quality:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyID=5363

Different approach:
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...erings_id=2408

Google on "drill guide" "portable drill" and you'll find lots of choices.

--
Regards,

Duane Bozarth

"Bruce K." wrote:

I'm trying to attach an unfinished headboard to a bed frame.

This requires me to drill 4 holes into the wood to mount the headboard
to the bed frame.

Is there any cheap guide or tool that will let me drill these holes
with a portable drill?

A trick is to use a mirror and a square...
G Henslee

Duane Bozarth wrote:
"Bruce K." wrote:

I'm trying to attach an unfinished headboard to a bed frame.

This requires me to drill 4 holes into the wood to mount the headboard
to the bed frame.

Is there any cheap guide or tool that will let me drill these holes
with a portable drill?

A trick is to use a mirror and a square...

Does it need to be a square mirror?

bill a

Won't the hole then be from the wrong side???

A trick is to use a mirror and a square...

Does it need to be a square mirror?

Duane Bozarth

...top posting repaired...

bill a wrote:

A trick is to use a mirror and a square...

Does it need to be a square mirror?

Won't the hole then be from the wrong side???

No, it'll just be oriented 90-degrees off...
Duane Bozarth

Duane Bozarth wrote:

..top posting repaired...

bill a wrote:

A trick is to use a mirror and a square...

Does it need to be a square mirror?

Won't the hole then be from the wrong side???

No, it'll just be oriented 90-degrees off...

That of course, was intended to be 180...

On 23-Jun-2005, Duane Bozarth wrote:

That of course, was intended to be 180...

he can't use a hole that's 180 deg reversed... his nuts will be on display!

ml
Bruce K.

Thanks for the help.

Bruce

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 07:06:58 -0400, Bruce K.
wrote:

I'm trying to attach an unfinished headboard to a bed frame.

This requires me to drill 4 holes into the wood to mount the headboard
to the bed frame.

Is there any cheap guide or tool that will let me drill these holes
with a portable drill?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bruce

Duane Bozarth

G Henslee wrote:

Duane Bozarth wrote:
"Bruce K." wrote:

I'm trying to attach an unfinished headboard to a bed frame.

This requires me to drill 4 holes into the wood to mount the headboard
to the bed frame.

Is there any cheap guide or tool that will let me drill these holes
with a portable drill?

A trick is to use a mirror and a square...

Does it need to be a square mirror?

Actually, the easiest way is to use a folding mirror at 90-degree. Set
a small square where is reflected in both and line the drill up against
its relection in the mirror by sight--can get quite accurate in both
directions.

Duane Bozarth

bill a wrote:

but where do you get drill bits with left hand twist?

Seek and ye shall find...

http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/...IrwinCat100064
GregL

You might try a woodworking dowel jig from HD. I think they are about
$15. Many uses, but should do the trick.

Gort

bill a wrote:

Won't the hole then be from the wrong side???

To compensate for that you simply Centralize the Hypotenuse of the
Quadrilateral. ;-)

A trick is to use a mirror and a square...

Does it need to be a square mirror?

inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know
how to ignore a posting,complain to me and I will demonstrate.

G Henslee

Duane Bozarth wrote:
G Henslee wrote:

A trick is to use a mirror and a square...

Does it need to be a square mirror?

Actually, the easiest way is to use a folding mirror at 90-degree. Set
a small square where is reflected in both and line the drill up against
its relection in the mirror by sight--can get quite accurate in both
directions.

Hmm, I figured, round hole - round mirror.