None

Default How do you make BBQ burner last Longer?

Mine only last 2 year at best. What about putting a think steel or
aluminium plate on top of the burner to protect from the drippings. It
would be a hair smaller shape then the burner, in order not to block the
flame. Any ideas? Thanks

Art Todesco

I once had a cast iron burner and it
lasted for a looooong time. When it
finally rusted out, I replaced it with
those aluminum ones. It didn't last more
than 3 or so years. I think you can
still get them in cast iron, but
they seem much harder to find.

None wrote:
Mine only last 2 year at best. What about putting a think steel or
aluminium plate on top of the burner to protect from the drippings. It
would be a hair smaller shape then the burner, in order not to block the
flame. Any ideas? Thanks

Luke

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 09:13:52 -0400, "None" wrote:

Mine only last 2 year at best. What about putting a think steel or
aluminium plate on top of the burner to protect from the drippings. It
would be a hair smaller shape then the burner, in order not to block the
flame. Any ideas? Thanks

Buy a charcoal grill ;-).

--
Luke
"For bureaucratic reasons, we settled on one issue, weapons of mass
one reason everyone could agree on." -- Paul Wolfowitz, May 28, 2003
Matt

None wrote:
Mine only last 2 year at best. What about putting a think steel or
aluminium plate on top of the burner to protect from the drippings. It
would be a hair smaller shape then the burner, in order not to block the
flame. Any ideas? Thanks

Weber has em, they are called flavorizer bars.

Problem is, the flavorizer bars burn up instead of the burner. But,
mine lasted 5 years, and I grill quite a bit. I'm about to buy some new
bars.... havn't checked yet, but I'm pretty sure they are a lot cheaper
then a new burner or grill.

I think the better grills have burners that are heavier gauge and last
longer. My Weber is about 7 yrs old now and so far the only complaint
I have is the wood side shelves are deteriorating. Weber fixed that,
the new ones are made of synthetic trex like material.

Matt

Mark wrote:
On 15 Jun 2005 08:39:42 -0700, "Matt" wrote:

None wrote:
Mine only last 2 year at best. What about putting a think steel or
aluminium plate on top of the burner to protect from the drippings. It
would be a hair smaller shape then the burner, in order not to block the
flame. Any ideas? Thanks

Weber has em, they are called flavorizer bars.

Problem is, the flavorizer bars burn up instead of the burner. But,
mine lasted 5 years, and I grill quite a bit. I'm about to buy some new
bars.... havn't checked yet, but I'm pretty sure they are a lot cheaper
then a new burner or grill.

Weber's burners are also made of stainless steel. Nobody else seems to do
this. They guarantee them for 10 years, so you know you'll get at least
that before they rot.

True. I went out to weber.com, $55 for a new set of SS flavorizer bars.
I think I'll get them instead of the ones I had, which go for $35.

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

None wrote:

Mine only last 2 year at best. What about putting a think steel or
aluminium plate on top of the burner to protect from the drippings. It
would be a hair smaller shape then the burner, in order not to block the
flame. Any ideas? Thanks

Weber has em, they are called flavorizer bars.

Problem is, the flavorizer bars burn up instead of the burner. But,
mine lasted 5 years, and I grill quite a bit. I'm about to buy some new
bars.... havn't checked yet, but I'm pretty sure they are a lot cheaper
then a new burner or grill.

Weber's burners are also made of stainless steel. Nobody else seems to do
this. They guarantee them for 10 years, so you know you'll get at least
that before they rot.

I bought a Weber last month. Carchoal. Awesome. All the rest of my
grills suck in comparison. If they are public Ill probably pick up some
stock because they are a quality product.

dont folks usually put the lava rocks over the flames and the drippings
hit the rocks rather than the burners?

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

I just got a gas one. BBQed 4 times and it is a mess. The Stainless
Steal grate is easy to clean but the inside is discolored from heat,
grease, and burger runoff.

Has anyone ever tried coating the bottom (under the burners) with
aluminum foil each time?

Matt

Hmmmm

Why bother? This reminds me lining the drip pans in the electric stove
with foil, vinyl slipcovers - etc.

Also, I think there is something to be said for leaving it be.... have
you noticed that food cooked in a grimy, often used grill (provided the
cooking surface is clean) tastes better than food cooked in a brand new
one? The grill has to be seasoned.

I like to keep stuff looking new as well, but when it comes to the
iniside of a BBQ.... nah.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Mark" wrote in message

Weber's burners are also made of stainless steel. Nobody else seems to do
this. They guarantee them for 10 years, so you know you'll get at least
that before they rot.

MOST are stainless steel but some are rather thin and low end. Any good
grill today will have a good burner of stainless steel, cast brass, cast
iron, etc. But you have to be prepared to spend a few bucks, not the $99
big box store special.

Brands like Vermont Castings, Broimaster, MHP, Broil King Weber will have
good long lasting burners.

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just got a gas one. BBQed 4 times and it is a mess. The Stainless
Steal grate is easy to clean but the inside is discolored from heat,
grease, and burger runoff.

Has anyone ever tried coating the bottom (under the burners) with
aluminum foil each time?

Easiest way is just not to look under there.

If you do put foil, do NOT block the vent holes in the bottom or the grill
will not work properly and can even become unsafe.

smithfarms pure kona

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 16:17:04 GMT, Andy Hill wrote:

wrote:
I just got a gas one. BBQed 4 times and it is a mess. The

Stainless
Steal grate is easy to clean but the inside is discolored from heat,
grease, and burger runoff.

Has anyone ever tried coating the bottom (under the burners) with
aluminum foil each time?

I suppose you could, but WHY? There's not a grill out there (or

stove, for
that matter) that stay's "factory clean" inside. If you want to

clean a gas
Weber, just cover the grate with aluminum foil, flip the burners on

"high", and
let 'er run until 5 minutes or so after the smoke stops. There will

be a bit of
ash on the grate afterwards, but's it's easily cleaned.

We were trying to figure how to clean our small Weber too.

Thanks for the information!

with aloha,
Thunder

..
smithfarms.com
Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee
& other Great Stuff
Edwin Pawlowski

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote in message
If you want to clean a gas
Weber, just cover the grate with aluminum foil, flip the burners on
"high", and
let 'er run until 5 minutes or so after the smoke stops. There will be a
bit of
ash on the grate afterwards, but's it's easily cleaned.

WEber recommends you do not cover the grates with foil. They say this
will disturb the airflow and cause uneven or otherwise inferior grill
operation.

Cooking, yes, cleaning dirty grates after the cooking, who cares?

Bobby_M

My charbroil natural gas stainless steel grill has cast brass burners
which are guaranteed for life.

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

On 21 Jun 2005 10:20:50 -0700, "Bobby_M"
wrote:

My charbroil natural gas stainless steel grill has cast brass burners
which are guaranteed for life.

Guaranteed for life !!!!

I love that expression. In other words, it's guaranteed to last the
life of the grill. When the grill dies, then the guarantee expires.
If the grill explodes, it's dead. therefore the warrantee is expired.

OR, are they referring to YOUR life? In other words, you must have
signed a form which verifies you personally as the owner, and have
given them your social security number and all sorts of other personal
information. That way you can not pass on the warrantee to your
offspring, or the guy you sell the grill to after you get tired of it.
Do they also monitor your health, or maybe they got you hooked to a
heart monitor to insure that you are still living? And just think of
what happens if suddenly they decide that you are living too long and
they are tired of waiting for your death so they can expire the
warrantee. Do they have some sort of sattelite controlled device
connected to the grill that will make it explode and thus kill you in
order to end the warrantee?

OR, are they referring to life as the life of their company? Just
think what would happen if someday they suddenly decide to go out of
business, or just merge with another company and change the company
name. I guess THEIR life is over, so goodbye warrantee !!!

And, finally, consider this. You go to a store and buy one of these
grills. On the way home from the store you are in a serious car
accident and you die. Your family finds the grill in the trunk of
your demolished car, but the trunk and grill survive. Someone in your
family now has a brand new grill that has no warrantee, since it
expired 10 minutes after you bought it and left the store because you
were killed.

NOTICE: This message has a lifetime warrantee. I guarantee that you
will remember it for the rest of your life, everytime you see the
phrase "Lifetime Warrantee", you will remember this message.

I hear that suckers also have lifetime warrantees. Is this true?

Do not underestimate the power of the lifetime warrantee. I have been
getting fresh brakes 1/year for my Chevy Blazer due to lifetime
warranty. (Though somebody claimed they would stop at 7, well see) I
got the receipts for my phillips light bulbs that claim some kind of
warraty since they keep blowing out. (well see) I just bought a sump
pump for my basement that has a lifetime warranty. I got my eye on that
one too since my pumps usually fail within a year. Also got some
outside lights that come with some kind of warranty though I thought it
funny that they claimed they were for 1-2 hours a day operation. I
wonder if they will send someone to my house to monitor my outside light
usage, lol. Im about to send back a coffee maker I bought for my mother
over Christmas since its already not working and has some kinda
warranty. My basement plumbing for foundation drainage was layed uphill
I got a claim on that going. I got a new Handspring treo last year,
speaker stopped working. I could probably go on and on. I wonder if
I'm on some list as a 'warranty user.' Though knowing this country its
more likely a warranty abuser :P

Warranty 4tw!! \o/
Bobby_M

Who ****ed in your coffee this morning man? I think I get your point.
Bottom line, these burners will probably last 10x longer than the cheap
stamped steel replacement parts you can buy. The grill itself is all
stainless. I do believe it will last quite a long time. If the burner
last just as long, i'll be thrilled.

Take your Zoloft and have a nice day.

Bobby

G Henslee

Bobby_M wrote:
Who ****ed in your coffee this morning man? I think I get your point.
Bottom line, these burners will probably last 10x longer than the cheap
stamped steel replacement parts you can buy. The grill itself is all
stainless. I do believe it will last quite a long time. If the burner
last just as long, i'll be thrilled.

Take your Zoloft and have a nice day.

Bobby

Who in the hell are you talking to?