Steven L Umbach

Default Teflon tape on gas pipe??

I replaced my water heater yesterday and used a flexible gas pipe to
reconnect natural gas to it. I used my white Teflon tape on the fittings for
a seal and all appears well. Then I noticed some info on the internet that
you should not use white Teflon tape on gas fittings - only yellow.
Apparently there is a risk [don't know how great] that the white tape can
damage the gas regulator or such due to bits of it shredding off. Now I am
wondering if I should change it or just leave it. My thinking is that
removing/reinstalling the fittings may introduce more risk that just leaving
well enough alone? The gas heater is installed in the basement next to the
furnace right next to a floor drain. Any advice appreciated. --- Steve

DanG

Teflon is Teflon. Apparently some manufacturers offer a heavier
tape. It may or may not be less subject to shredding. It has
always been important to keep the tape back off the lead threads.
I know a few plumbers that do both Teflon (white, by the way) and
pipe dope on the larger size pipe - 1 1/2" and up. When I asked
why I got the belt and suspenders type answer.

Do not take something apart that is functioning.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Steven L Umbach" wrote in
message ...
I replaced my water heater yesterday and used a flexible gas pipe
to reconnect natural gas to it. I used my white Teflon tape on
the fittings for a seal and all appears well. Then I noticed some
info on the internet that you should not use white Teflon tape on
gas fittings - only yellow. Apparently there is a risk [don't
know how great] that the white tape can damage the gas regulator
or such due to bits of it shredding off. Now I am wondering if I
should change it or just leave it. My thinking is that
removing/reinstalling the fittings may introduce more risk that
just leaving well enough alone? The gas heater is installed in
the basement next to the furnace right next to a floor drain. Any
advice appreciated. --- Steve

Ralph Mowery

"Steven L Umbach" wrote in message
I replaced my water heater yesterday and used a flexible gas pipe to
reconnect natural gas to it. I used my white Teflon tape on the fittings

for
a seal and all appears well. Then I noticed some info on the internet that
you should not use white Teflon tape on gas fittings - only yellow.
Apparently there is a risk [don't know how great] that the white tape can
damage the gas regulator or such due to bits of it shredding off. Now I am
wondering if I should change it or just leave it. My thinking is that
removing/reinstalling the fittings may introduce more risk that just

leaving
well enough alone? The gas heater is installed in the basement next to the
furnace right next to a floor drain. Any advice appreciated. --- Steve

Here is the differance in the colors of the tape. Seems the yellow is just
thicker.

http://www.cleanfit.com/tapes.htm

toller

In general, the yellow is thicker and higher density.
I would redo it. Aren't you going to feel silly if you have a problem
because you didn't want to do 20 minutes work?

Stormin Mormon

I was taught to use white teflon, and also Rectorseal. The teflon allows the
threads to slip tighter, and the Rectorseal does the acutal sealing.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"DanG" wrote in message

[...]

I would replace it with either the gas-rated tape, or the old-fashoined
gooey pipe sealer. The typical white teflon tape is not to code, or so
I have been told by a plumber I happened to ask at the hardware store,
who was most emphatic.

Robert Allison

Steven L Umbach wrote:
I replaced my water heater yesterday and used a flexible gas pipe to
reconnect natural gas to it. I used my white Teflon tape on the fittings for
a seal and all appears well. Then I noticed some info on the internet that
you should not use white Teflon tape on gas fittings - only yellow.
Apparently there is a risk [don't know how great] that the white tape can
damage the gas regulator or such due to bits of it shredding off. Now I am
wondering if I should change it or just leave it. My thinking is that
removing/reinstalling the fittings may introduce more risk that just leaving
well enough alone? The gas heater is installed in the basement next to the
furnace right next to a floor drain. Any advice appreciated. --- Steve

If the flex pipe has a flared fitting on both ends (and it
should if it is for gas), then there is no need to use
anything on the threads. The actual seal is between the flare
and the bell end of the fitting.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Steven L Umbach

Thanks for all the replies. All continues to work well and I verified that
the gas connections are leak free. I did some searching on the internet and
could not find any evidence of more than usual premature failures of gas
water heaters [gas delivery related] because of using white Teflon tape on
the gas pipe connection. My guess is that there probably is some sort of
inlet screen on the thermostat to stop large particles from getting into it.
Also I feel that disassembling it at this point could do more harm than good
due to all the Teflon tape that would come loose in the threads during the
removal process. Thanks again and next time for sure I will use the yellow
stuff. --- Steve

"Steven L Umbach" wrote in message
I replaced my water heater yesterday and used a flexible gas pipe to
reconnect natural gas to it. I used my white Teflon tape on the fittings
for a seal and all appears well. Then I noticed some info on the internet
that you should not use white Teflon tape on gas fittings - only yellow.
Apparently there is a risk [don't know how great] that the white tape can
damage the gas regulator or such due to bits of it shredding off. Now I am
wondering if I should change it or just leave it. My thinking is that
removing/reinstalling the fittings may introduce more risk that just
leaving well enough alone? The gas heater is installed in the basement next
to the furnace right next to a floor drain. Any advice appreciated. ---
Steve

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Steven L Umbach wrote:
[...]

I used the gooey stuff on mine. Each of my downward pipes that is going
into the heater or furnace as a T at the bottom with dead end let with a
cap on it. I guess any thing that goes down that pipe ends up in this
small dead in drop area. There are several of these.

Is there any specific amouont of torque that should be on a gas pipe?

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
HeatMan

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I was taught to use white teflon, and also Rectorseal. The teflon allows

the
threads to slip tighter, and the Rectorseal does the acutal sealing.

--

Uh-huh.

You're a dumba** too...

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
www.mormons.com

"DanG" wrote in message

[...]

HeatMan

"Steven L Umbach" wrote in message
I replaced my water heater yesterday and used a flexible gas pipe to
reconnect natural gas to it. I used my white Teflon tape on the fittings

for
a seal and all appears well. Then I noticed some info on the internet that
you should not use white Teflon tape on gas fittings - only yellow.
Apparently there is a risk [don't know how great] that the white tape can
damage the gas regulator or such due to bits of it shredding off. Now I am
wondering if I should change it or just leave it. My thinking is that
removing/reinstalling the fittings may introduce more risk that just

leaving
well enough alone? The gas heater is installed in the basement next to the
furnace right next to a floor drain. Any advice appreciated. --- Steve

Piece of cake.

IF the gas valve fails to close one day (and it's under warranty), you'll
gripe and moan about inferior products and replace the gas valve. When the
manufacturer of the GV takes it apart and finds bits of Teflon tape in the
valve, he'll deny the claim.

After the warranty period? The burner may never shut off OR the gas may
sputter and not get lit by the pilot until one day... BOOM.

Your life.

Most directions say not to use Teflon tape. Who needs directions anyway?

Steven L Umbach

Interesting enough today the wife and I went shopping the local home
improvement chain stores [northwest Chicago] for light fixtures and I took a
look at their flexible gas connection kits out of curiosity. Both chain
stores included skinny WHITE Teflon tape spool with their kits for use with
the gas connections. Apparently a LOT of water heaters are being installed
with the white Teflon tape. --- Steve

[...]

reciated. --- Steve

SteveB

"Steven L Umbach" wrote in message
Interesting enough today the wife and I went shopping the local home
improvement chain stores [northwest Chicago] for light fixtures and I took
a look at their flexible gas connection kits out of curiosity. Both chain
stores included skinny WHITE Teflon tape spool with their kits for use
with the gas connections. Apparently a LOT of water heaters are being
installed with the white Teflon tape. --- Steve

Trouble is, the people who are coming in there aren't any smarter than the
people who work there. There is a gas tape. Anyone who doesn't know the
difference shouldn't be working on gas lines.

Sheesh.

Steve

Greg O

"SteveB" wrote in message

" Trouble is, the people who are coming in there aren't any smarter than
the people who work there. There is a gas tape. Anyone who doesn't know
the difference shouldn't be working on gas lines.

Sheesh.

Steve

The only difference between "gas" tape and good old white Teflon in the
thickness, and color. Other than that, they are the same. The ONLY problem
using Teflon tape for gas lines is the concern of getting tape fragments
into gas valves and other controls. Anyone with a tiny bit of knowledge
knows how to avoid that problem, using tape or not. Used properly white
Teflon tape poses no problem.
Greg

Stormin Mormon

I am glad surgeons don't use the same logic. "The only problem with such a
surgery is the risk of pulmonary thrombosis due to clots breaking loose, but
any idiot ought know how to avoid that".

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Greg O" wrote in message

The only difference between "gas" tape and good old white Teflon in the
thickness, and color. Other than that, they are the same. The ONLY problem
using Teflon tape for gas lines is the concern of getting tape fragments
into gas valves and other controls. Anyone with a tiny bit of knowledge
knows how to avoid that problem, using tape or not. Used properly white
Teflon tape poses no problem.
Greg

Bobby_M

As someone else mentioned, you shouldn't be using any type of thread
sealer on gas flex pipe. Those are flare connections and no gas should
even be exposed to the threads. In fact, putting anything on the
threads may make it harder to get the flare connection tight enough.
You only seal rigid pipe-to-fitting connections.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to HeatMan, Crazytekkie wrote:
heatair wrote:

"Steven L Umbach" wrote in message
for
leaving
Piece of cake.
IF the gas valve fails to close one day (and it's under warranty), you'll
gripe and moan about inferior products and replace the gas valve. When the
manufacturer of the GV takes it apart and finds bits of Teflon tape in the
valve, he'll deny the claim.
After the warranty period? The burner may never shut off OR the gas may
sputter and not get lit by the pilot until one day... BOOM.
Your life.
Most directions say not to use Teflon tape. Who needs directions anyway?

Omfg where do people come up with this stuff?
Really God help anyone you do work for.. they will believe the sky is
falling and they need to replace their muffler bearings or their car will
stop working....in the middle of the freeway during rush hour.

Posted to alt.home.repair

heatair wrote:

"Steven L Umbach" wrote in message
for
leaving
Piece of cake.
IF the gas valve fails to close one day (and it's under warranty), you'll
gripe and moan about inferior products and replace the gas valve. When the
manufacturer of the GV takes it apart and finds bits of Teflon tape in the
valve, he'll deny the claim.
After the warranty period? The burner may never shut off OR the gas may
sputter and not get lit by the pilot until one day... BOOM.
Your life.
Most directions say not to use Teflon tape. Who needs directions anyway?

Omfg where do people come up with this stuff?

It is called common sense.

Really God help anyone you do work for.. they will believe the sky is
falling and they need to replace their muffler bearings or their car will
stop working....in the middle of the freeway during rush hour.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

replying to HeatMan, Crazytekkie wrote:
heatair wrote:

"Steven L Umbach" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Actually , common sense says you're careful not to let bits of tape get to
the valve in the first place - it ain't that hard . Same thing can happen if
you get over-exuberant with pipe dope .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

heatair wrote:

[...]

But it is a LOT easier to do it right with pipe dope, and a lot
easier to do it wrong with tape - (especially if you are smoking the
dope in the pipe)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-24, Vic Smith wrote:

So what? There's dope and there's dopes.

What no one seems to be addressing is removal. Ever tried to remove
tape. Tedious, but entirely possible. Try removing teflon paste?
Almost impossible and at best, a PIA!!

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Vic Smith" wrote in message

stuff snipped

That's funny.

+1

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-24, Vic Smith wrote:

So what? There's dope and there's dopes.

What no one seems to be addressing is removal. Ever tried to remove
tape. Tedious, but entirely possible. Try removing teflon paste?
Almost impossible and at best, a PIA!!

Good point. There have been any number of times I've had to removed a taped
joint. I bought a PTZ dome camera from China and they sent along the
biggest roll of teflon tape I've ever seen. When I ordered a second one, it
came with an O ring to provide the same waterproofing. I spent quite some
time (as Tony warned I might) trying to find out more from the Chinese
vendors to no avail. Oh well, the camera was 1/4 what US vendors wanted for
the same thing that probably came with the same obtuse directions.

Going to deploy one this weekend - not sure I should water test it with the
garden hose before bothering to climb the ladder. Apparently water can get
in through the wire entrance to the threaded dome cap. But I'd rather do it
with tape because it might have to be taken down to dry out if the
tape/gasketing doesn't work.

I bought some (wildly overpriced) stuff called Sugru that is a hardening
putty that I might use to seal the wire entry because it's fairly easy to
remove.

https://sugru.com/

(No affiliation and we'll find out tomorrow if it does what it says.)

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-24, Vic Smith wrote:

So what? There's dope and there's dopes.

What no one seems to be addressing is removal. Ever tried to remove
tape. Tedious, but entirely possible. Try removing teflon paste?
Almost impossible and at best, a PIA!!

Good point. There have been any number of times I've had to removed a taped
joint.

Removing a taped joint is the same as removing a dope joint,
you just unscrew it. It doesn't require removing pipe dope.
And if you're putting it back together and want to clean it up,
either a rag or a wire brush works for me. Funny, if pipe dope
is so hard to use, why do so many pros still use it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-25, trader_4 wrote:

is so hard to use, why do so many pros still use it?

Perhaps they know they will never have to remove it.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message news:63336236-

Funny, if pipe dope is so hard to use, why do so many pros still use it?

How many pros still use it or is it just a WAG on your part? I couldn't
find any estimates of usage but a lot of disagreement over which one's
better, just like we have here.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 12:54:10 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"trader_4" wrote in message news:63336236-

Funny, if pipe dope is so hard to use, why do so many pros still use it?

How many pros still use it or is it just a WAG on your part? I couldn't
find any estimates of usage but a lot of disagreement over which one's
better, just like we have here.

Who said pipe dope was "hard to use?" Must have missed that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"trader_4" wrote in message news:63336236-

Funny, if pipe dope is so hard to use, why do so many pros still use it?

How many pros still use it or is it just a WAG on your part? I couldn't
find any estimates of usage but a lot of disagreement over which one's
better, just like we have here.

Who said pipe dope was "hard to use?" Must have missed that.

I know a lot of folks who've smoked dope in their pipes without any difficulty. Of course their grip on reality was in question afterwards. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Sane Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Steven L Umbach, Virgil wrote:
I use white for water and Yellow for Gas in some places this is code you have
to check your local Inspectors the yellow is thicker with a higher density
working with Gas I just feel better leaving a job knowing I did all I could to
prevent any leaks from popping up down the road

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ipe-62971-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

a plmber i know uses both, teflon tape and then pipe dope

he has been a plumber forever and said it guarantees no leaks
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 05/15/2016 10:44 AM, Virgil wrote:
replying to Steven L Umbach, Virgil wrote:
I use white for water and Yellow for Gas in some places this is code you
have to check your local Inspectors the yellow is thicker with a higher density

Thickness yes, not any different otherwise (barring the color, of
course). White PTFE is single thickness, yellow is double and pink is
triple.

I know of nowhere it is in any Code requirement and unless it's been
changed which I think it hasn't, the National Fuel Gas Code handbook
2.6.7(d) refers to using pipe dope suitable for use with gas and says:
"This requirements does not prohibit the use of teflon tape as a pipe
dope. [Further comments regarding workmanship elided for brevity]"

The requirement for the thicker tape (hence yellow as common identifier)
is the only one I'm aware of.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 May 2016 10:32:04 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

a plmber i know uses both, teflon tape and then pipe dope

he has been a plumber forever and said it guarantees no leaks

....forever?

Really. Wow...
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

wrote:

a plmber i know uses both, teflon tape and then pipe dope

he has been a plumber forever and said it guarantees no leaks

...forever?

Really. Wow...

It is just dumb to put both on a pipe. Use one or the other. I saw a
Youtube of putting pipe dope on a flaired fitting threads. Another dumb
move as there should be nothing to leak at the threaded part.
If it does leak, something was not done correctly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

a plmber i know uses both, teflon tape and then pipe dope

he has been a plumber forever and said it guarantees no leaks

Teflon tape is not supposed to be used on natural gas lines. Something
about the gas dissolving the tape. It's ok on propane though. There is a
special tape made for nat. gas, but I have never used it. so I dont know
the name of it, or if it's readily available. Years ago, I did some work
on nat. gas pipes, for my parents. I just used pipe dope. Where I live
now, I only have propane, but I still use pipe dope. Normally people use
copper tubing for propane, so no sealer is needed since the fittings are
flared copper or compression rings. But my house had black iron pipe for
the furnace. When I ran a line to the kitchen for a stove, I decided it
was best to keep the same pipe to prevent dialectric corrosion, so I
used black iron pipe with dope in the fittings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/15/2016 09:55 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
It is just dumb to put both on a pipe. Use one or the other. I saw a
Youtube of putting pipe dope on a flaired fitting threads. Another dumb
move as there should be nothing to leak at the threaded part.
If it does leak, something was not done correctly.

I'll confess to using teflon tape on the face of a POL fitting.
sometimes you do what you gotta do to make the connection stop blowing
bubbles.