Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Teflon tape on gas pipe??

On Mon, 16 May 2016 00:48:06 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 15 May 2016 10:32:04 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

a plmber i know uses both, teflon tape and then pipe dope

he has been a plumber forever and said it guarantees no leaks

Teflon tape is not supposed to be used on natural gas lines. Something
about the gas dissolving the tape. It's ok on propane though. There is a
special tape made for nat. gas, but I have never used it. so I dont know
the name of it, or if it's readily available. Years ago, I did some work
on nat. gas pipes, for my parents. I just used pipe dope. Where I live
now, I only have propane, but I still use pipe dope. Normally people use
copper tubing for propane, so no sealer is needed since the fittings are
flared copper or compression rings. But my house had black iron pipe for
the furnace. When I ran a line to the kitchen for a stove, I decided it
was best to keep the same pipe to prevent dialectric corrosion, so I
used black iron pipe with dope in the fittings.

More polichromatic bovine excrement.. Natural gas and propane have
the exact same effect on teflon tape - none at all.

However, pipe dope mis recommended over tape because the tape can cut
and turn into "threads" of teflon and block orifices or stick in
valves. There are 3 basic teflon tapes - white(single thickness) ,
yellow (double thickness) and pionk (triple thickness. White is
forbidden in all gas connections. Some places allow yellow - some
allow pink, and some do not allow tape at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 May 2016 23:55:25 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:

a plmber i know uses both, teflon tape and then pipe dope

he has been a plumber forever and said it guarantees no leaks

...forever?

Really. Wow...

It is just dumb to put both on a pipe. Use one or the other. I saw a
Youtube of putting pipe dope on a flaired fitting threads. Another dumb
move as there should be nothing to leak at the threaded part.
If it does leak, something was not done correctly.

Correct.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 May 2016 15:09:29 -0400, wrote:

[...]

I was told this about not using teflon tape back in the late 70's or
early 80's. What I heard was pretty vague, and I dont recall who said it
anymore. Anyhow, these days we have better access to information. Either
way, I guess I was told correctly to NOT use it, but for the wrong
reason. What you said makes a lot of sense. I am fully aware of using
teflon tape on plumbing, and when I'd first turn on the water, the
faucet strainers would clog. I'd remove them, and find rust particles
(if ther was OLD steel pipe involved), -AND- pieces of teflon tape,
along with little bits of solder (on copper pipe). On plbg its easy to
remove, but I could see orfices and stuff getting quickly clogged on gas
pipes.

I'll just stick with using pipe dope on all gas pipes!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Most definitely the safest - just make sure the dope you are using is
approved for gas!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 16, 2016 at 4:06:45 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

My go to pipe joint sealant is,"Leak Lock" manufactured by Highside Chemicals. I keep a 1.3oz blue tube in my toolbag and it lasts for years. It seals everything but alcohol so don't use it on your moonshine still. ^_^

http://www.highsidechem.com/leaklock.html

The HVAC and plumbing supply houses sell it. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Leaky Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Steven L Umbach, Joe D. wrote:
the yellow Teflon tape has more parts of Teflon per cm than the white tape.
You should use yellow for gas and not the white.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ipe-62971-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Crazytekkie, just an old fart wrote:
your right, use blue tape it covers all

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ipe-62971-.htm