Expected Noise Level of Various Air Conditioners

Old June 14th 05, 05:09 PM
[email protected]

Default Expected Noise Level of Various Air Conditioners

I feel that my window air conditioners are too noisy. Actually, there
is nothing wrong with the air conditioners; I am just too sensitive to
noise especially when I need to go to sleep. I am thinking of replacing
them with some kind of split system that has the noisy compressor
placed outdoor. Because of the fact that my house is not suitable for
running ductwork (no attic), I probably prefer a ductless split system
that has a blower indoor. Now the question is:

How quiet those ductless split system is as
comparing to a window air conditioner?

I would really hate to spend a lot of money getting a ductless split
system installed and then discover that the it (the blower) is not much
quieter than the window air conditioner that it has replaced.

My questions a

- The spec of one of the most quiet mini-split system says that its
indoor unit generates 40-db or something. According to www.Oneida.com,
40-db is like the noise from a normal conversation. Honestly, I don't
really know how noisy a "normal conversation" is as applying to an air
conditioner. But surely this doesn't sound very good. What's people
opinion on this based on their personal experience with a ductless
split system? Do they find the noise level to be acceptable for
sleeping? How much difference of its noise as comparing to the noise
from air flowing through an air register of a central air conditioner
(with ductwork)?

- How a noise level was rated? Are they all rated 3-ft away from the
air conditioner?

- What's the common noise level of a modern window air conditioner
being sold within the last 2 years or so? Something like low-50-db or
high-60-db? I don't have a sound-meter available (at least not yet); I
cannot measure the noise level of my existing window air conditioners.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan

Old June 14th 05, 08:22 PM
[email protected]

Sorry for the wrong URL address. The web site that I was referring to
should be:

http://www.oneida-air.com/

And we can find the info in that web site in this way:
--- Tech Resources
--- Noise Levels Explained
--- See our chart of common everyday items and
the associated noise level associated with it.

Seem like I remember the description of noise level 40-db wrong. It
should be "Quiet conversation" instead of "Normal conversation". This
means a split system that has 40-db noise level of its indoor unit
"seems" to be quiet acceptable...

Jay Chan

Old June 14th 05, 08:30 PM
[email protected]

This should be less expensive to mask the noise using a sound generator
of some sort. But I don't like the idea of using a sound generator to
mask the noise, and I have a feeling that I will get sick of listening
to the sound from a sound generator. For example, I would turn off the
radio in a room after I have been in the room a while; I just don't
like white noise.

The other reason of trying to get a new air conditioner is that I have
two rooms (2nd floor and basement) that I need air conditioning and I
cannot fit a window air conditioner in those locations (and I don't
like those portable air conditioner either because they are likely to
be very noisy). I am trying to kill two birds with one stone: Buy a
split system then I can reduce noise and can introduce air conditioning
in areas that don't have air conditioning currently.

Any idea of the noise level of a ductless split system as comparing to
a window air conditioner?

Thanks.

Jay Chan

Steve Stone wrote:
In article .com,
says...
I feel that my window air conditioners are too noisy.

Would it be less expensive to mask the noise with another acceptable
noise from a sound conditioner ?

Old June 14th 05, 09:14 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

Any idea of the noise level of a ductless split system as comparing to
a window air conditioner?

Thanks.

http://global.mitsubishielectric.com...p/index_b.html
http://global.mitsubishielectric.com..._p/l_a1_b.html
They give a dB reading of 29.5 on one of these.

A 25 dB rating on the smaller of these units.
http://www.mitsubishielectric.com.sg...ingle_non1.asp

I have no idea how good they are and I've never seen one run. Looks far
superior in design than the cheap window shakers though.
Ed

Old June 14th 05, 11:02 PM
SQLit

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

My old Goodman 3T out side condenser measure 88 db at 10 feet and 78 db at
15 feet where my patio was. My brothers was over a 100 before we put the
sound blanket on it.
There are companies that make sound blankets for the compressors. They will
help ~ 4-8 db maybe a bit more.
It may take some time for you to get used to the new environment. I have the
same problem when I travel. Some window shakers in some hotel rooms are
hideous. I carry a set of soft ear plugs for those nights.

Old June 15th 05, 12:56 AM
Phil Yarbrough

You have way too much time on your hands.

Old June 15th 05, 01:01 AM
G Henslee

Phil Yarbrough wrote:
You have way too much time on your hands.

Who are you talking to?
Old June 15th 05, 01:19 AM
I R Baboon

you can pick up a pair of soft foam ear plugs for about 10 cents

Old June 15th 05, 06:19 AM
G Henslee