Steve B.

Default Oversized A/C question

so folks who buy an "oversize" unit, while their intention is to be more
comfortable, end up LESS comfortable in a cool, but clammy home.

get the correct size, and no more

I have an additional question on this subject...

Living in south FL it's hotter than heck most of the summer. Our A/C
is working fine this year (thanks to the helpful people here who
insisted I had a leak in the return that was pulling attic air).
While the A/C does a good job of keeping us comfortable it gets
overwhelmed when we have guests over or when cooking a big meal in the
early evening (when the natural heat load is worst).

Since a two ton works fine for most situations I was thinking of
having it replaced with one of the new two speed units and sizing the
lower of the two at two tons then we would have the additional
capacity of the second speed to cope with the days when we need more
cooling. Will this work OK or am I missing a big part of the picture?

Steve B.
lp13-30

Thaat is exactly what the two spped or two stage ubits are designed to
do-- they will run on low 70-80% of the time and give you reserve for
the other times when more capacity is needed. Initial price is about the
only downside, but figure it out over the 10-15 years life expectancy of
the unit, and it is worth it in most cases. Larry

TURTLE

"Steve B." wrote in message
[...]

This is Turtle.

There is not too much to add to it for you got it pegged.

TURTLE

Joseph Meehan

Steve B. wrote:
[...]

Good plan, but I can suggest that when expecting company, you can
improve comfort by reducing the temperature 2-5 degrees an hour or two
before company arrives or if cooking, maybe sooner.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Alan

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:27:11 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Steve B. wrote:
so folks who buy an "oversize" unit, while their intention is to be
more comfortable, end up LESS comfortable in a cool, but clammy home.

get the correct size, and no more

Since a two ton works fine for most situations I was thinking of
having it replaced with one of the new two speed units and sizing the
lower of the two at two tons then we would have the additional
capacity of the second speed to cope with the days when we need more
cooling. Will this work OK or am I missing a big part of the picture?

Steve B.

Good plan, but I can suggest that when expecting company, you can
improve comfort by reducing the temperature 2-5 degrees an hour or two
before company arrives or if cooking, maybe sooner.

Mine *might* be capable of bringing the temp down that much in a few
hours, but I have always felt that it is oversized as it does not run
continuously even in the hottest weather and so doesn't do enough
dehumidifying.

Goedjn

While the A/C does a good job of keeping us comfortable it gets
overwhelmed when we have guests over or when cooking a big meal in the
early evening (when the natural heat load is worst).

Since a two ton works fine for most situations I was thinking of
having it replaced with one of the new two speed units and sizing the
lower of the two at two tons then we would have the additional
capacity of the second speed to cope with the days when we need more
cooling. Will this work OK or am I missing a big part of the picture?

Since you've already got the existing system, why not just add
a smaller auxiliary unit somewhere set to come on 2 degrees
higher?

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM