Default box wire fill and smoke detector wires

Greetings,

I have been told that the ***plug wires*** for a 120V wired smoke
detector do not count towards the wire fill of the box. I just wanted
to confirm that this is correct or incorrect.

Thanks,
William

Matt

When did they start putting spark plugs in smoke detectors?

Andy Hill

" wrote:
I have been told that the ***plug wires*** for a 120V wired smoke
detector do not count towards the wire fill of the box. I just wanted
to confirm that this is correct or incorrect.

Pigtails usually aren't counted towards box fill. Never know with some
inspectors, 'tho.

Matt,

120V smoke detectors normally have a male plug. The female plug has 3
leads which extend into the octagon box and are attached with wire
nuts.

Hope this helps,
William

Doug Miller

In article .com, " wrote:
Greetings,

I have been told that the ***plug wires*** for a 120V wired smoke
detector do not count towards the wire fill of the box. I just wanted
to confirm that this is correct or incorrect.

That's correct.

"Where ... not over four fixture wires smaller than No. 14... enter a box from
a fixture canopy and terminate within that box, it shall be permitted to omit
these conductors from the calculations." [NEC, Art. 370-16 (a) 1 exception]

--
Regards,

5 STAR RESPONSE

Thank you very much Doug Miller. That was exactly what I was looking
for!