Patch

Default Garage Door Spring

Today, my garage door torsion spring broke. Is this a job for a typical DIY,
or should I call a pro?

Charlie Bress

Torsion springs are hazardous to your health.
It is time for a pro.

Charlie

"Patch" wrote in message
news:1118686521.ee0a8fc2534d5ec52a52e0ce76a3d80a@t eranews...
Today, my garage door torsion spring broke. Is this a job for a typical
DIY, or should I call a pro?

Luke

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 13:15:23 -0500, "Patch"
wrote:

Today, my garage door torsion spring broke. Is this a job for a typical DIY,
or should I call a pro?

Might help you decide after reading how one guy did it:
http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm

FWIW, I'd hire it out.

--
Luke
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest
Bob G.

wrote:

Today, my garage door torsion spring broke. Is this a job for a typical DIY,
or should I call a pro?

Might help you decide after reading how one guy did it:
http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm

FWIW, I'd hire it out.

================
Guess it really comes down to "who is a typical" DIY individual...

I installed my own on all 5 bays in my garages without any problems at
all... pretty simple to do... like all things the energy you wind into
the springs can do a number on you if you are not working safely but
that can be said about nailing a picture up in the bedroom also...

Bottom line is call and see what a door company would charge and see
if your time is that valuable to you....

Bob G.
Doug Miller

In article 1118686521.ee0a8fc2534d5ec52a52e0ce76a3d80a@teran ews, "Patch" wrote:
Today, my garage door torsion spring broke. Is this a job for a typical DIY,
or should I call a pro?

Your toolkit for this repair is two items: the Yellow Pages, and a MasterCard.

Extension springs are easy DIY jobs. Torsion springs... not if you haven't
done it before.

--
Regards,

Greg O

"Patch" wrote in message
news:1118686521.ee0a8fc2534d5ec52a52e0ce76a3d80a@t eranews...
Today, my garage door torsion spring broke. Is this a job for a typical
DIY, or should I call a pro?

If you have to ask, it is time for a pro!
Greg

Luke

wrote:

Today, my garage door torsion spring broke. Is this a job for a typical DIY,
or should I call a pro?

Might help you decide after reading how one guy did it:
http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm

FWIW, I'd hire it out.

================
Guess it really comes down to "who is a typical" DIY individual...

I installed my own on all 5 bays in my garages without any problems at
all... pretty simple to do... like all things the energy you wind into
the springs can do a number on you if you are not working safely but
that can be said about nailing a picture up in the bedroom also...

Bottom line is call and see what a door company would charge and see
if your time is that valuable to you....

Yep. I haven't had a torsion spring die on me yet. But I have the link
I posted, and the name of a good door company, for that eventuality.

--
Luke
"Bush wanted to remove Saddam, through military action, justified by
-- The Downing Street Memo, July 23, 2002
http://www.downingstreetmemo.com
George E. Cawthon

Patch wrote:
Today, my garage door torsion spring broke. Is this a job for a typical DIY,
or should I call a pro?

There is nothing to it if you know what you are
doing, recognize the power of the wound up
springs, and work safely (that means having the
correct tools (about $10).

I suggest that you have a pro install the first
time and that you watch what he does. Then you
will be prepared to fix the next broken spring and
know how to adjust your spring tension as the
springs age.
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Patch wrote:
Today, my garage door torsion spring broke. Is this a job for a typical DIY,
or should I call a pro?

P.R.O. They will make it look easy, but don't fool yourself. Besides,
Keep the economy rolling...

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

Tony Hwang

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert wrote:
Patch wrote:

Today, my garage door torsion spring broke. Is this a job for a
typical DIY, or should I call a pro?

P.R.O. They will make it look easy, but don't fool yourself. Besides,
Keep the economy rolling...

Hi,
I almost broke my finger once. Never again. Also if one side broke, I'd
have both sides replaced. Rub the new springs with oil soaked rag. Dry
running springs shortens the life. I was told by the door guy.
Tony
Bob G.

I almost broke my finger once. Never again. Also if one side broke, I'd
have both sides replaced. Rub the new springs with oil soaked rag. Dry
running springs shortens the life. I was told by the door guy.
Tony

I honestly can not see how putting a thin coating of oil on the spring
will increase its lifetime...Rust prevention ? I just do not know,
or I am not awake enough this morning to really think.....

Other that I also find it hard to imagine how a torsion spring would
break in normal operation...

Bob G.