excap

Default What is "Acrylic" Paint?`

I thought the two kinds of paint were "Oil Based" or "Latex."

I saw a gallon of "100 % Acrylic" that made no mention of being either Latex
or Oil based.

Is it a hybrid of the two?

And part 2 of this question:

I know you can't put oil based paint over previously painted latex paint but
what about acrylic? How does that figure in the mix?

dadiOH

excap wrote:
I thought the two kinds of paint were "Oil Based" or "Latex."

I saw a gallon of "100 % Acrylic" that made no mention of being
either Latex or Oil based.

Is it a hybrid of the two?

Latex = acrylic

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Norminn

excap wrote:
I thought the two kinds of paint were "Oil Based" or "Latex."

I saw a gallon of "100 % Acrylic" that made no mention of being either Latex
or Oil based.

Is it a hybrid of the two?

And part 2 of this question:

I know you can't put oil based paint over previously painted latex paint but
what about acrylic? How does that figure in the mix?

There is "oil based" and "water based". No latex in latex paint. What
you put over what depends largely on the substrate and gloss. Use the
right primer and prep. Latex on hard enamel is nasty, as the next paint
job will be more difficult beause you can't sand latex. Letex on
concrete is preferred because it breathes a bit, and concrete always has
moisture in it.

jeffc

"Norminn" wrote in message
Latex on hard enamel is nasty

Speaking of enamel, that would be another good question. Is enamel a type of
paint? Basically, enamel just means "shiny".

Hopkins

No, you don't put latex finish on top of oil finish, unless you use an
oil primer first.

You can put oil on latex.

Hopkins

"Enamel" usually refers to a baked-on hard glossy finish. When speaking
of paint, it's like latex...

latex = water-based
enamel = oil-based

Hopkins

Questions have been answered but if you're unsure about a particular
product, read the label under 'clean up' or 'thinning'.

Gordon Reeder

"Hopkins" wrote in news:1118624442.423594.56200
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

"Enamel" usually refers to a baked-on hard glossy finish. When speaking
of paint, it's like latex...

latex = water-based
enamel = oil-based

Beg to differ. You can buy water based enamels. The desktop
directly under this keyboard was painted with a water based
enamel paint. I didtinctly rememebr selecting enamal for it's
hard wearing finish. I also know that I cleaned up the brush
with water.

--
Just my $0.02 worth. Hope it helps
Gordon Reeder

Hey EVERYBODY!
Unity means let's try to meet each other halfway
Oscar_Lives

Main Entry: 2enamel
Function: noun
1 : a usually opaque vitreous composition applied by fusion to the surface
of metal, glass, or pottery
2 : a surface or outer covering that resembles enamel
3 a : something that is enameled b : ENAMELWARE
4 : a cosmetic intended to give a smooth or glossy appearance
5 : a hard calcareous substance that forms a thin layer capping the teeth --
see TOOTH illustration
6 : a paint that flows out to a smooth coat when applied and that dries with
a glossy appearance

Main Entry: la·tex
Pronunciation: 'lA-"teks
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural la·ti·ces /'lA-t&-"sEz, 'la-/; or la·tex·es
Etymology: New Latin latic-, latex, from Latin, fluid
1 : a milky usually white fluid that is produced by cells of various seed
plants (as of the milkweed, spurge, and poppy families) and is the source of
rubber, gutta-percha, chicle, and balata
2 : a water emulsion of a synthetic rubber or plastic obtained by
polymerization and used especially in coatings (as paint) and adhesives

Main Entry: 2acrylic
Function: noun
1 a : ACRYLIC RESIN b : a paint in which the vehicle is an acrylic resin c :
a painting done in an acrylic resin
2 : ACRYLIC FIBER

Main Entry: acrylic resin
Function: noun
: a glassy thermoplastic made by polymerizing acrylic or methacrylic acid or
a derivative of either and used for cast and molded parts or as coatings and
adhesives

Main Entry: acrylic acid
Function: noun
: an unsaturated liquid acid C3H4O2 that polymerizes readily to form useful
products (as constituents for varnishes and lacquers)

"Gordon Reeder" wrote in message
. 3.44...
"Hopkins" wrote in news:1118624442.423594.56200
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

"Enamel" usually refers to a baked-on hard glossy finish. When speaking
of paint, it's like latex...

latex = water-based
enamel = oil-based

Beg to differ. You can buy water based enamels. The desktop
directly under this keyboard was painted with a water based
enamel paint. I didtinctly rememebr selecting enamal for it's
hard wearing finish. I also know that I cleaned up the brush
with water.

--
Just my $0.02 worth. Hope it helps
Gordon Reeder
greeder
at: myself.com

Hey EVERYBODY!
Unity means let's try to meet each other halfway

Attached Images

George E. Cawthon

excap wrote:
I thought the two kinds of paint were "Oil Based" or "Latex."

I saw a gallon of "100 % Acrylic" that made no mention of being either Latex
or Oil based.

Is it a hybrid of the two?

And part 2 of this question:

I know you can't put oil based paint over previously painted latex paint but
what about acrylic? How does that figure in the mix?

You've got good answers and bad answers, so I
won't add to the confusion. Go here or do a
google search:

http://www.sutherlands.com/terms.html
jeffc

"Hopkins" wrote in message
ups.com...
"Enamel" usually refers to a baked-on hard glossy finish. When speaking
of paint, it's like latex...

latex = water-based
enamel = oil-based

Maybe "usually", maybe not. There are water based enamels, that's why I
pointed it out.

jeffc

"3rd eye" wrote in message

Enamel is a harder finish.
Doesn't matter if latex or oil. It doesn't need to have gloss to be an
enamel.

I challenge you to show us a flat enamel.

jeffc

"jeffc" wrote in message

"3rd eye" wrote in message

Enamel is a harder finish.
Doesn't matter if latex or oil. It doesn't need to have gloss to be an
enamel.

I challenge you to show us a flat enamel.

Dang, as soon as I say that I check it out just to be sure. There are flat
enamels. News to me.

Richard J Kinch

excap writes:

I thought the two kinds of paint were "Oil Based" or "Latex."

I saw a gallon of "100 % Acrylic" that made no mention of being either
Latex or Oil based.

MY ANNUAL EXPLANATION ABOUT "LATEX PAINT" BEING UNRELATED TO "LATEX
RUBBER".

The word "latex" in general and with regard to paint means "emulsion",
nothing more. The emulsion may be of acrylic, or other things like
polyvinyl acetate or natural casein. The term "latex paint" tells you
nothing but that the paint is a water-based emulsion. It does NOT tell
you what species of polymer.

"Natural latex", often confusingly just called "latex", is the rubber
tree sap, an emulsion of natural rubber. This has nothing to do with
"latex" paint. "Latex rubber" is rubber made from natural latex.
Before modern polymers, this was the only latex polymer, so in those
days "latex" almost always meant natural rubber emulsion, leading to a
misunderstanding today in peoples minds.

Many plants have latex sap, not just rubber trees.

dadiOH

jeffc wrote:
"Hopkins" wrote in message
ups.com...
"Enamel" usually refers to a baked-on hard glossy finish. When
speaking of paint, it's like latex...

latex = water-based
enamel = oil-based

Maybe "usually", maybe not. There are water based enamels, that's
why I pointed it out.

If it's hard and glossy it's called "enamel" because the original enamel
was glass fused to metal. They sell latex "enamel" and it *is* glossy.
But hard? I don't think so...it isn't sandable, stuff sticks to it, it
doesn't flow.

There is no reason that there couldn't be a decent water based "enamel"
(may already exist) but it would use polyurethane. Latex is fine for
drywall and concrete, lousy for wood. Lousy, that is, if one cares
about how it looks.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH

3rd eye wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 21:47:54 GMT, "dadiOH"
wrote:

excap wrote:
I thought the two kinds of paint were "Oil Based" or "Latex."

I saw a gallon of "100 % Acrylic" that made no mention of being
either Latex or Oil based.

Is it a hybrid of the two?

Latex = acrylic

NO it isnt'

OK, "acrylic" paints are acrylic latex but not all latex paints have
acrylic. Happy?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Hopkins

yeah, you're right. i stand corrected.

dadiOH

jeffc wrote:
"jeffc" wrote in message

"3rd eye" wrote in message

Enamel is a harder finish.
Doesn't matter if latex or oil. It doesn't need to have gloss to be
an enamel.

I challenge you to show us a flat enamel.

Dang, as soon as I say that I check it out just to be sure. There
are flat enamels. News to me.

In oil paints at least, all start life as glossy. Adding a flatting
agent - talc, usually - in varying amounts is what changes the sheen.
Used to be that paint stores actually sold talc so you could mix
whatever sheen you wanted; nowadays, they don't even know what flatting
powder is.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Hopkins

ah, a small mistake and i'm the scourge of the earth. cram it with
walnuts.

dadiOH

If it's hard and glossy it's called "enamel" because the original
enamel was glass fused to metal. They sell latex "enamel" and it
*is* glossy. But hard? I don't think so...it isn't sandable, stuff
sticks to it, it doesn't flow.

There is no reason that there couldn't be a decent water based
"enamel" (may already exist) but it would use polyurethane. Latex is
fine for drywall and concrete, lousy for wood. Lousy, that is, if
one cares about how it looks.

Let me amend that...

I should have said that latex (or acrylic latex) is lousy for wood
*furniture*...tables, desks, cabinets...like that. There is no way
under the sun to get a good paint job on same with those paints. For
things like exterior trim, it is fine.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

jeffc

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
.. .

The word "latex" in general and with regard to paint means "emulsion",
nothing more.

Thanks

dadiOH

Red Cloud® wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 01:35:39 GMT, "jeffc" wrote:

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
.. .

The word "latex" in general and with regard to paint means
"emulsion", nothing more.

Thanks

The word "latex" means the liquid that comes out of certain plants,
like rubber trees and milkweed. The word "latex" on paint refers to a
synthetic form of latex that is used as a binder.

Latex in no way or context means "emulsion", except in the mind of
Kinch. Look it all up in a dictionary. Kinch is a usenet kook, who
also believes that WD-40 is a healthy thing to drink. That may be why
he comes up with all these other strange and erroneous posts.

Kinch will no doubt reply to this post, but as I said, the dictionary
is your friend. Kinch is not.

I'm no chemist but his post certainly seems accurate to me. Dang site
better than people thinking latex paint is made with rubber (even though
the miserable stuff sands as if it were).

LATEX
A milky-white, fine dispersion of a solid resin in an aqueous medium.
Also used to describe water-thinned paints, the principal vehicle of
which is latex.

LATEX PAINT #1
Paint containing colloidal binder particles formed by emulsion
polymerization. A common term for water-based and water-reducible
coatings.

EMULSION #1
Liquid droplets dispersed in another immiscible liquid.

EMULSION #2
A colloid in which both phases are liquids

LATEX PAINT #2
Water-based paint made with a synthetic binder (latex), such as acrylic,
vinyl acrylic, or styrene acrylic latex.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Richard J Kinch

Red Cloud® writes:

Latex in no way or context means "emulsion", except in the mind of
Kinch.

"The formulation of an emulsion paint consists basically of combining
pigment and latex. The term latex originally meant the milky juice of
certain plants, but has been adopted by the industry to denote a suspension
of polymer particles in water."

-- Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology, "Paint"

Now shut up, you contemptible, foolish, pathetically inimical, lying,
anonymous-coward troll. Leave the advice-giving to those of us with
intelligence, education, and experience, and the guts to honestly identify
ourselves.