jay

Default Portable Air Conditioner noisy (the kind on casters)

I purchased a Royal Sovereign 9000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner. This is
the kind that doesn't mount in a window, and is on casters. (I can't use a
window unit where I live) The unit works, but I'm disappointed that it is
rather noisy. I have a Radio Shack Sound Level Meter and at the "A
Weighting" setting (the less sensitive setting) I"m getting a measurement of
62db at around 3 feet from the unit. Believe it or not, the fan itself
makes most of the noise (at the lower speed) and the compressor only makes a
1 or 2 db difference. There is no published spec for noise on the unit I
bought.

I notice that there are other units that are advertised as having lower
sound levels, such as the "Edge Star 9000btu" which is said to have a noise
level of less than 54db, and the "Delonghi PAC-03" which is said to have a
noise level of 50db or less.

Is it likely true that the above two units are actually 8 to 12 db quieter
than mine? I'd hate to go through the trouble of returning the Royal
Soverign only to find that the published specs on the other two units are
false. Should I return the Royal Sovereign and try one of the other units?
(Keep in mind that this it will be a major pain in the neck repackaging this
thing and returning it to Sears, and the other units are only available to
me via UPS or Fedex shipping.)

Thanks,

J.

CAStinneford

We had DeLonghi units before we installed central AC and they were very
noisy as any portable unit is going to be. I don't think it would be worth
it to return the unit you have. Sitting in a room with 50db or 68db is going
to be sitting in a room with something loud. As long as it's cooling, I'd
stick with it.

"jay" wrote in message
[...]

jay

I'd hate to return mine and buy another only to find out that they measured
the noise level specs for those other units in an "anechoic chamber" and
they're not noticeably quieter than mine.

J.