Pool solar panel repair

Old June 7th 05, 10:06 PM
john

Default Pool solar panel repair

I have a rubber solar panel system to heat my swimming pool.

A few of the small rubber tubes have cracked and are leaking.
Anyone out there know how to go about repairing them?
I did a google search and found only one instance which described this
problem and the possible fix (using flexible tubing - not detailed on
the repair procedure). I would prefer to use an adhesive if there were
one that could withstand the heat being generated by direct sunlight
and the chemicals in the water passing through the repair joint.

TIA to all who reply.

John

Old June 7th 05, 11:42 PM
Travis Jordan

john wrote:
I would prefer to use an adhesive if there
were one that could withstand the heat being generated by direct
sunlight and the chemicals in the water passing through the repair
joint.

And the expansion and contraction of the joint because of temperature
cycling.

Unless you can find some kind of solvent repair I think you'll end up
having to replace the tubing.

Old June 8th 05, 12:13 AM
PipeDown

Silicone RTV sealant will satisfy the waterproof, temperature, and
flexibility and with the right brand will not be effected by sunlight (see
label) but if your system is pressurized it might not be strong enough to
resist leaks.

Perhaps you can insrt a rigid tube (metal, glass, plastic) inside the rubber
tube and clamp onto that surface. If tight enough, no sealant would be
needed.

oups.com...

Old June 8th 05, 02:24 AM
John Keiser

The pool is a demanding environment.

Sun, heat, chemicals.

Consider if "a few" have cracked, the rest will likely follow.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

Old June 8th 05, 03:18 AM
john

Thanks for the suggestion. The RTV sealant sounds like it might work,
even though there is low pressure in the pipes originating at the pump.

The rigid tube is not an option, since clamping is impossible on a
small quarter inch tube attached to flat substrate.

John

Old June 8th 05, 03:22 AM
john

Considering the service years of the system, you may be right. I'll try
repairing the few that are leaking (only one of the panels is affected)
and see what happens.

John

Old June 8th 05, 04:57 AM
Dave

FWIW - My Solaroll system is 24 years old and has had only 2 leaks in all
those years. Of course, they've gone out of business, LOL!

Dave

wrote in message
On 7 Jun 2005 19:22:40 -0700, "john" wrote:

Considering the service years of the system, you may be right. I'll try
repairing the few that are leaking (only one of the panels is affected)
and see what happens.

John

How old are they ?
Is this storm damage (snow, hurricane etc) or just sun?

Old June 8th 05, 07:37 AM
john

They are 12 years old. This is the first season I've had leaks.
I suppose the leaks sprung because of exposure to the elements over the
years (I'm located in the northeast).

John