Eric and Megan Swope

Default creating a new slot in a stripped screw using a dremel tool

Hi everyone. I remember reading in a post here about using an attachment
for the dremmel tool to basically make a new slot in a stripped screw so one
could use a screw driver. Would I use engraving tool, or a cutting bit for
the dremmel, or something else? I tried extractors, but no dice getting out
the screw. Thanks for any info.

badgolferman

Eric and Megan Swope, 6/4/2005, 11:53:14 AM, wrote:

Hi everyone. I remember reading in a post here about using an
attachment for the dremmel tool to basically make a new slot in a
stripped screw so one could use a screw driver. Would I use
engraving tool, or a cutting bit for the dremmel, or something else?
I tried extractors, but no dice getting out the screw. Thanks for
any info.

I have taken screws out before by drilling them out or drilling
slightly into the head and tapping a screwdriver into it with a hammer
then turning the screwdriver.

--
No matter what happens someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
Robert Allison

Eric and Megan Swope wrote:

Hi everyone. I remember reading in a post here about using an attachment
for the dremmel tool to basically make a new slot in a stripped screw so one
could use a screw driver. Would I use engraving tool, or a cutting bit for
the dremmel, or something else? I tried extractors, but no dice getting out
the screw. Thanks for any info.

I use the cuttoff wheel and grind a slot. Fast and easy.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Jim Yanik

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote in

Hi everyone. I remember reading in a post here about using an
attachment for the dremmel tool to basically make a new slot in a
stripped screw so one could use a screw driver. Would I use engraving
tool, or a cutting bit for the dremmel, or something else? I tried
extractors, but no dice getting out the screw. Thanks for any info.

You use the abrasive cut-off discs,those thin round reddish wafers with a
tiny hole in the middle,about one inch in diameter.There are also
larger,fiberglas reinforced discs available,but they don't cut screwdriver
slots as well. Use them on the provided mandrel.

Use eye protection,they are brittle,and pieces fly all over the place when
they break,and your eyes are precious.

Use them like a rotary sawblade.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Joseph Meehan

Eric and Megan Swope wrote:
Hi everyone. I remember reading in a post here about using an
attachment for the dremmel tool to basically make a new slot in a
stripped screw so one could use a screw driver. Would I use
engraving tool, or a cutting bit for the dremmel, or something else?
I tried extractors, but no dice getting out the screw. Thanks for
any info.

I have used the cut off tool. Normally I just use a drill and an
easy-out.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

zxcvbob

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Eric and Megan Swope wrote:

Hi everyone. I remember reading in a post here about using an
attachment for the dremmel tool to basically make a new slot in a
stripped screw so one could use a screw driver. Would I use
engraving tool, or a cutting bit for the dremmel, or something else?
I tried extractors, but no dice getting out the screw. Thanks for
any info.

I have used the cut off tool. Normally I just use a drill and an
easy-out.

I use a left-handed bit in a variable speed drill, and while drilling it
will catch and back the screw out. I've mostly done this with
philips-head screws.

Bob