John Keith

Default looking for heat shield that is not electrical conductor

I am looking for some panel material that could be used as a heat
shield for a wood buring stove installation. Ideally the material
should be 1/4" thick and be a good electrical insulator. I have seen
material in the past (many years ago) that I think was asbestes based
and it is probably no longer available, but something similar to that
is what I am looking for. Durock is close but is thicker than what I
want. Any ideas on a material and/or place to look for it would be
greatly appreciated! (I have tried some lumber yards and a wood
stove store but haven't found anything yet.)

John Keith

G Henslee

John Keith wrote:
I am looking for some panel material that could be used as a heat
shield for a wood buring stove installation. Ideally the material
should be 1/4" thick and be a good electrical insulator. I have seen
material in the past (many years ago) that I think was asbestes based
and it is probably no longer available, but something similar to that
is what I am looking for. Durock is close but is thicker than what I
want. Any ideas on a material and/or place to look for it would be
greatly appreciated! (I have tried some lumber yards and a wood
stove store but haven't found anything yet.)

John Keith

google "stove board"
kevin

Ceramic backer board (e.g., Hardibacker) might also work. If you look
around, you can find reasonable nice looking stuff, too -- white or off
white, plain, no markings.

SQLit

"John Keith" wrote in message
I am looking for some panel material that could be used as a heat
shield for a wood buring stove installation. Ideally the material
should be 1/4" thick and be a good electrical insulator. I have seen
material in the past (many years ago) that I think was asbestes based
and it is probably no longer available, but something similar to that
is what I am looking for. Durock is close but is thicker than what I
want. Any ideas on a material and/or place to look for it would be
greatly appreciated! (I have tried some lumber yards and a wood
stove store but haven't found anything yet.)

John Keith

G-10 plastic would work. Same stuff they make circuit boards from.

Oh,,, you sure are not going to like the price.

Chris Lewis

According to SQLit :

"John Keith" wrote in message
I am looking for some panel material that could be used as a heat
shield for a wood buring stove installation. Ideally the material
should be 1/4" thick and be a good electrical insulator. I have seen
material in the past (many years ago) that I think was asbestes based
and it is probably no longer available, but something similar to that
is what I am looking for. Durock is close but is thicker than what I
want. Any ideas on a material and/or place to look for it would be
greatly appreciated! (I have tried some lumber yards and a wood
stove store but haven't found anything yet.)

G-10 plastic would work. Same stuff they make circuit boards from.

Oh,,, you sure are not going to like the price.

Nor the fact that G10 burns. G10 is just a fiberglass/epoxy resin
board. Virtually zero insulation value, and it'll ignite/scorch.

G10 is quite unsuitable for this purpose.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

I know just the thing you want, just not sure they make it anymore.
Back when I used to work hardware/lumber we sold an asbestos board intended
to be used underneath of and behind a wood stove.
I forget what we called the thing but I wouldn't be surprised if it was
"stove board" as has already been suggested.
Check a place that sells wood stoves. There must be something equivalent
these days. People are still needing to put wood stoves on floors.

ml
Jim Ranieri

wrote in message
I know just the thing you want, just not sure they make it anymore.
Back when I used to work hardware/lumber we sold an asbestos board

intended
to be used underneath of and behind a wood stove.
I forget what we called the thing but I wouldn't be surprised if it was
"stove board" as has already been suggested.
Check a place that sells wood stoves. There must be something equivalent
these days. People are still needing to put wood stoves on floors.

I have 12x12 slate tiles under mine.

John Keith

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 13:39:05 -0600, John Keith wrote:

I am looking for some panel material that could be used as a heat
shield for a wood buring stove installation.

Thanks for all the quick replies.

G10 will not work, as someone noted it will scorch in a hot
environment. I made reference to a wood stove environment only because
many years ago I installed a wood buring stove and used some asbestes
material that was exactly what I am now looking for. (BTW, I think the
asbestes material has been discontinued for obvious reasons.) My
current application is on the exterior of an electric kiln and while
the temperatures will be nothing like the interior of the kiln it will
get pretty "warm", enough that I would be leary of using G10.

I will google "stove board" and see what pops up. I tried googling
several other terms without any great leads.

Through another process however, I did locate some 1/4 hardbacker
(1/2" is common, 1/4" seems a little harder to find) and I think that
is going to meet my needs.

John Keith

kevin

I didn't have trouble finding 1/4 hardibacker myself -- in fact, I
didn't even see anything else at 84 lumber here. Mine is nearly white,
one side with faux 2x2 tiles imprinted (well, really I think it's just
for helping the tile adhesive to stick), the other side is smooth.
Comes in 3x5 sheets, and is cheap. I can't imagine it is rated for
fireproofing, but as an experiment I took a few thin slices and held it
in a gas stove flame for 10 minutes. Almost no damage whatsoever, just
a little surface charring. The stuff eats drill bits, knife blades, and
don't even try sawing it. I mounted it with long screws, with spacers
made from short stubs of copper pipe.

The alternative product to this nice stuff at 84 lumber was a kind of
brittle, ugly, bumpy, grey/brown/lint-colored cement stuff, used for
the same under-tile purposes.

Good luck,
-Kevin

PrecisionMachinisT

"John Keith" wrote in message
I am looking for some panel material that could be used as a heat
shield for a wood buring stove installation. Ideally the material
should be 1/4" thick and be a good electrical insulator. I have seen
material in the past (many years ago) that I think was asbestes based
and it is probably no longer available, but something similar to that
is what I am looking for. Durock is close but is thicker than what I
want. Any ideas on a material and/or place to look for it would be
greatly appreciated! (I have tried some lumber yards and a wood
stove store but haven't found anything yet.)

We just used sheetrock with ceramic tiles on it facing towards the stove, as
a first layer....that was offset from the wall by say....2 inches, and
provisions were made for natural airflow / ventilation to occur between the
layers.

Still suggest call one of your local wood stove places....or...here's what's
maybe an absolutely brilliant suggestion :

Perhaps......call your local authority and get a ****ing mechanical permit
and inspection ???

--

SVL

John Keith

Still suggest call one of your local wood stove places....

Did that. Went to the shop with the best reputation in the area and
all they could recommend was 1/2" Durock, which is too thick for my
application.

or...here's what's
maybe an absolutely brilliant suggestion :

Perhaps......call your local authority and get a ****ing mechanical permit
and inspection ???

As I noted in a follow-up message my application is not for a stove
installation. I only referred to the stove application because in my
past experience I used some 1/4" asbestes material and that (minus the
asbestes) was exactly what I was looking for again.

After experimenting with the 1/4" hardibacker material it looks like
it will be perfect for my situation. I was even able to make some good
3/4" round holes that I'll need (I'm sure thehole saw will be shot by
the time I'm done.)

John Keith

PrecisionMachinisT

"John Keith" wrote in message
news

As I noted in a follow-up message my application is not for a stove
installation. I only referred to the stove application because in my
past experience I used some 1/4" asbestes material and that (minus the
asbestes) was exactly what I was looking for again.

Missed that part, my apology then.

--

SVL

Don Phillipson

"John Keith" wrote in message
news
As I noted in a follow-up message my application is not for a stove
installation. I only referred to the stove application because in my
past experience I used some 1/4" asbestes material and that (minus the
asbestes) was exactly what I was looking for again.

After experimenting with the 1/4" hardibacker material it looks like
it will be perfect for my situation. I was even able to make some good
3/4" round holes that I'll need (I'm sure thehole saw will be shot by
the time I'm done.)

Rona Hardware carries cement/fibreglass
board made by Beltway (Bestway?) and
recommends 6 mm thickness (quarter inch)
for shielding. Its Shielding Panels are
good one side but max 4 ft. square. It also
sells quarter inch and half inch material in
4x8 panels. You may find the quarter inch
is unhelpfully flexible. I did not guess but
imagine the Shielding Panels are specially
stiffened.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs