G Henslee

Default Dunn-Edwards Paint

I'm going to repaint my mother's front patio and front porch floors
which are both concrete slabs. They've each had several coats of oil
base paint applied to them over the years. I was able to pressure
washed most of it off and am ready to paint.

Speaking to the 'expert' at the local Dunn Edwards paint store he
recommended their product called Vinyl Stripe. Specs say it's
self-priming, durable enough for even tires to run over. One of it's
uses is for striping parking lots. They also have a product called
Tuff-Floor which is a lighter weight product that can't take the tire
traffic.

While I don't necessarily need something to handle vehicle traffic, with
the Vinyl STripe I won't have to etch or prime. According to the
'expert' and the product info I wouldn't have had to bother with the
pressure wash either. Just clean any loose stuff off.
He quoted me "contractors price" of $21 a gal.

Can anyone offer an opinion on either of these products?

Thanks, G.
G Henslee

G Henslee wrote:
[...]

Having completed the above I want to share with the group my findings
after using the aforementioned Vinyl Stripe product.

I found it to be a great primer. And that's all.

The finish is very, very flat, so footprints and scuff marks etc, show
immediately and badly. Because I wasn't happy with the finish, I
ultimately used the Dunn-Edwards Tuff-Floor product over the top of it
with good success. Coverage went well (2 coats) and the slight sheen it
has deters footprints and makes it easy to wash.

I wouldn't use either of the products for a garge floor as the Vinyl
Stripe would show every tire mark, and the Tuff-Floor is not made for
tire wear. An epoxy product would be the ticket for a gge floor as
discussed here several times.
G Henslee

3rd eye wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 11:32:35 -0700, G Henslee

Speaking to the 'expert' at the local Dunn Edwards paint store he
recommended their product called Vinyl Stripe. Specs say it's
self-priming, durable enough for even tires to run over. One of it's
uses is for striping parking lots. They also have a product called
Tuff-Floor which is a lighter weight product that can't take the tire
traffic.

Having completed the above I want to share with the group my findings
after using the aforementioned Vinyl Stripe product.

I found it to be a great primer. And that's all.

The finish is very, very flat, so footprints and scuff marks etc, show
immediately and badly.

Just an observation- That is to be expected form a dead flat finish.

Right. Well a 'painta I ainta' and I wasn't intending to dis' the Vinyl
Stripe product as bad. It's primary use is for striping on asphalt,
concrete etc, so it would stand to reason they want to avoid the
slippery aspect. Hell the specs say it's used for helicopter pads too.
It also isn't affected by hot tires but I can't imagine this stuff on a
gge floor. I figured it would be indestructible but sort of forgot about
the flatness being an issue.

The store sold it to me for $18 instead of the quoted $21 and with it's
'no priming, no etching, paint over latex or oil-base characteristics',
I suppose for a primer it's great. So far anyway A heavier can of
paint I've never picked up and I've never used a stickier paint myself.
Specs say very quick drying. They weren't lieing! Walk-on in 10-15
minutes and recoat in one hour depending upon weather of course.

Get this. The coverage is figured in linear feet. A gallon will do a
standard 4" wide line - 347 feet.

I'd want a 'slight' sheen for a floor paint too. But they also tend to
be a bit slippery when wet.

That aspect concerned me because of my elderly ma but the Tuff-Floor
product is just right, sort of a satin? or eggshell? It's gotten wet
with the sprinklers a bit and I walked on it to test. Seems good.
RicodJour

G Henslee wrote:

The store sold it to me for $18 instead of the quoted $21 and with it's
'no priming, no etching, paint over latex or oil-base characteristics',
I suppose for a primer it's great. So far anyway A heavier can of
paint I've never picked up and I've never used a stickier paint myself.
Specs say very quick drying. They weren't lieing! Walk-on in 10-15
minutes and recoat in one hour depending upon weather of course.

Get this. The coverage is figured in linear feet. A gallon will do a
standard 4" wide line - 347 feet.

I thought the price was pretty cheap for a specialty paint until I read
the coverage - 1/3 of the usual.

1200 degree High heat spray paint stinks, literally Dan Musicant Metalworking 11 August 21st 20 02:03 PM
Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 09:02 AM
Hardinge Paint Purchase (long) [email protected] Metalworking 2 April 21st 05 08:28 PM
Camp Painting help Needed ! TURTLE Home Repair 14 February 19th 05 11:17 PM
Benjamin Moore paint types jeffc Home Ownership 1 August 19th 03 05:51 AM