Nick

Default Moisture inside window panes - a temporary fix ?

I have a few 12+ year old double-hung Appleby windows that are gettting
moisture between the panes. They are out of warranty of course, so I think
its either a) live with it b) replacement sashes from Appleby c) new frames
or d) modify the existing sashes to vent the moisture. Recommendations
anyone ?
The last one seems off-the-wall, but I recall that Pellas in a previous home
had small vent holes in the bottom of the sashes and they would fog up if
not cleaned out periodically. I could easily add small vent holes to the
failed Appleby's and sacrifice some thermal efficiency, but at least be able
to see out the windows. Has anyone tried this ?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice on this.

If you are taliking about insulating glass units,
you can have the glass replaced.
Call a glass deale.
Around here they will measure the units, order and deliver.
Some will install.
TB

Nick

I suppose that it's worth giving Appleby a shot.
To TB's question, I am talking about double pane inulating glass....no gas
inside back then, just two panes with a seal I believe.
I wasn't aware that glass dealers were handling sealed double panes, but it
makes perfect sense. I guess all of the window dealers' incessant marketing
over the years had me thinking every make is unique. Thanks for that advice;
I will go that route if Appleby has nothing to offer. TB and Rusty, thanks
for your inputs...truly appreciated.

"Nick" wrote in message
I have a few 12+ year old double-hung Appleby windows that are gettting
moisture between the panes. They are out of warranty of course, so I think
its either a) live with it b) replacement sashes from Appleby c) new frames
or d) modify the existing sashes to vent the moisture. Recommendations
anyone ?
The last one seems off-the-wall, but I recall that Pellas in a previous
home had small vent holes in the bottom of the sashes and they would fog
up if not cleaned out periodically. I could easily add small vent holes
to the failed Appleby's and sacrifice some thermal efficiency, but at
least be able to see out the windows. Has anyone tried this ?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice on this.

I could not tell if you meant you had 'dual pane sealed unit' double hung
windows - or single pane glass.

Assuming you meant 'dual pane sealed units' - If you get no satisfaction
from the window manufacturer - and if you are 'handy' - you could try the
following:

On a sunny, warm/hot day (with low relative humidity), remove the dual pane
sealed glass unit from the window frame (taking appropriate precautions to
not drop the unit).

Then, using a razor knife, cut the caulking holding one of the glass panes
onto the glass spacer, clean the inside surfaces well and leave the open
unit sitting in the sun to bake any moisture off of it. Having a fan blow
on it might hasten the drying process.

After a couple of hours in the sun, re-assemble the glass pane onto the
glass spacer and re-seal it with good quality silicone. Let it dry and
re-mount the window in the frame.

"Red Cloud©" wrote in message
On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 11:34:04 -0400, "Nick"
wrote:

I have a few 12+ year old double-hung Appleby windows that are gettting
moisture between the panes. They are out of warranty of course, so I
think
its either a) live with it b) replacement sashes from Appleby c) new
frames
or d) modify the existing sashes to vent the moisture. Recommendations
anyone ?
The last one seems off-the-wall, but I recall that Pellas in a previous
home
had small vent holes in the bottom of the sashes and they would fog up if
not cleaned out periodically. I could easily add small vent holes to the
failed Appleby's and sacrifice some thermal efficiency, but at least be
able
to see out the windows. Has anyone tried this ?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice on this.

I would contact Appleby. Tell them you love your appleby windows, but
you are disapointed with the fact that some of them have experienced
seal failure, and you thought Appleby's were made so that should never
have happened. (They brag about their seals never going bad) They may
surprise you!

rusty redcloud

Storm window as main shed window? Dave K. Home Repair 3 July 25th 18 10:44 PM
Common and/or Legal definition of "casement window"? Me Home Repair 7 September 5th 04 04:20 PM
Sagging bay window - probable cause found? David Hearn UK diy 7 January 14th 04 03:21 PM
House Moisture JAG Home Repair 6 August 29th 03 06:53 PM
How to mount window air c jim Home Repair 0 July 3rd 03 08:38 PM