Ian

Default Washers - Front Load vs. Top Load

What is it about the front load washers that makes then twice the price of
the top load units?

I'm trying to cut through the sales talk. Are they actually "better"? If
so, what do they do that the top load units don't?

Thanks,

Ian

Doug Kanter

"Ian" wrote in message
. ..
What is it about the front load washers that makes then twice the price of
the top load units?

I'm trying to cut through the sales talk. Are they actually "better"?
If so, what do they do that the top load units don't?

Thanks,

Ian

I don't know why they cost more, although the fact that the drum reverses
often could be part of the reason. I wouldn't part with mine, though. Uses
very little water, very little detergent, and I can pack more laundry in, so
I don't need to do it as often. Downside: Can't be opened once started, in
case you forgot to throw in that one last shirt. And, if it's in a poorly
lit area, like my basement, it's kind of hard to see into. Mine says
"Frigidaire Gallery" on the front. Washer & dryer combo were under $1100 if
I recall. Not the cheapest, but not the most expensive, either.

Rick

"Ian" wrote in message . ..
What is it about the front load washers that makes then twice the price of
the top load units?

I'm trying to cut through the sales talk. Are they actually "better"? If
so, what do they do that the top load units don't?

Front loaders use much less water, which may or may not
be a good thing, depending on the load you're washing.
Sometimes with very heavily soiled items it's better to
have more water than less.

Also, generally, front loading machines can handle larger
loads.

As to why the price difference, I'm sure some of it is due
to higher design and manufacturing costs for front loading
machines (e.g. better quality seals are required on the door
and wash basket, for obvious reasons), but beyond that
I'm not sure why they cost so much more than top loaders.

Joseph Meehan

Ian wrote:
What is it about the front load washers that makes then twice the
price of the top load units?

I'm trying to cut through the sales talk. Are they actually
"better"? If so, what do they do that the top load units don't?

Thanks,

Ian

It appears it is more difficult to make one that does not leak or have
other problems. Therefore it is more expensive. I expect (and have seen
some evidence of) a slow reduction in cost and in time a phase out of top
loaders.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Phisherman

It's my guess the locking mechanism and seal required in a front load
that a top load does not need. Front load washers use less water and
are more gentle on the fabrics. How long to make up the cost
difference, I don't know. The fewer knobs and controls, the lower the
cost. Personally I would be hesitant to spend more then $500 for a
washer and I'd get the largest I could find. Scratch-and-dent can
save some $, but you have to be careful.

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 06:06:39 -0400, "Ian"
wrote:

What is it about the front load washers that makes then twice the price of
the top load units?

I'm trying to cut through the sales talk. Are they actually "better"? If
so, what do they do that the top load units don't?

Thanks,

Ian

i remember allmost everyone around here had a frontloader when we
were on cysterns,cause they used little water, then when city water came
thru, everyone eventually went to top loaders because they were cheeper
and water supply wasnt an issue..this was back in the early 60's ,so
front loaders have been more expensive for quite some time around here.
lucas

Curly Sue

wrote:

What is it about the front load washers that makes then twice the price of
the top load units?

I'm trying to cut through the sales talk. Are they actually "better"? If
so, what do they do that the top load units don't?

Apart from more valuable considerations that others have mentioned,
you can store stuff on top of them.

Are they high enough so that you don't have to bend over to unload it?

Sue(tm)
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
i remember allmost everyone around here had a frontloader when we
were on cysterns,cause they used little water, then when city water came
thru, everyone eventually went to top loaders because they were cheeper
and water supply wasnt an issue..this was back in the early 60's ,so
front loaders have been more expensive for quite some time around here.
lucas

I remember that. We had an old Bendix, probably late '50s or so. Nothing
like the machines of today. It vibrated, the gasket leaked, but it was
entertaining for a 3 or 4 year old.

I don't know why they cost more, a

I cant say I'm entirely pleased with mine. I have the
Sears units and they washer vibrates quite a bit on the
plywood floor of my apt

I would say that more care is needed as to what kind of
surface they washer sets on so it doesn't vibrate so
badly

Question.... you have yours in a basement right? Does
it vibrate any?
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
I don't know why they cost more, a

I cant say I'm entirely pleased with mine. I have the
Sears units and they washer vibrates quite a bit on the
plywood floor of my apt

I would say that more care is needed as to what kind of
surface they washer sets on so it doesn't vibrate so
badly

Question.... you have yours in a basement right? Does
it vibrate any?

I barely hear the thing running except when it draws water. When standing
near the machine, I notice no vibration at all.

Tom

"Ian" wrote in message
. ..
What is it about the front load washers that makes then twice the price of
the top load units?

When Maytag first introduced their front loader at about $1200, everyone in
the industry said "they'll never sell at that price". Well, Maytag sold so
many that they couldn't keep up for a while. The other manufacturers
realized there was a market for high dollar machines and quickly entered the
foray. I suspect that the price is high because they can get it....and by
getting it, they make some money for a change. Most people don't realize
that the average retailer (because of competition holding down prices) only
nets about 2 cents on the dollar on most appliance sales. That's why the
big push for add ons like extended warranties. I had a sales manager tell
me one time that if I couldn't sell the warranty, let the customer walk as
it wasn't worth it to sell the appliance without it. I've noticed that the
foreign companies like LG are coming in with mostly just the fancy high
dollar stuff where there is some margin to work with. If you want a really
cheap appliance with little profit for the retailer, you'll still find that
with an American manufacturers name on it.

Tom.

zxcvbob

Doug Kanter wrote:
wrote in message

I don't know why they cost more, a

I cant say I'm entirely pleased with mine. I have the
Sears units and they washer vibrates quite a bit on the
plywood floor of my apt

I would say that more care is needed as to what kind of
surface they washer sets on so it doesn't vibrate so
badly

Question.... you have yours in a basement right? Does
it vibrate any?

I barely hear the thing running except when it draws water. When standing
near the machine, I notice no vibration at all.

I have a frontloader. When we first got it, it was spooky how quiet it
was.

The real saving comes from how dry they spin the clothes -- they come
out damp instead of wet, and you can set the clothes dryer on a low-heat
cycle and they will still dry quickly. The next biggest energy savings
is the hot water you save (obviously not an issue if you wash everything
in cold.)

The power company here offers a $100 rebate for EnergyStar washing
machines. That really helped make the initial cost competitive with a
toploader.

Bob

I barely hear the thing running except when it draws water. When standing
near the machine, I notice no vibration at all.

what type of floor is it on?
chicagofan

Ian wrote:
What is it about the front load washers that makes then twice the price of
the top load units?

I'm trying to cut through the sales talk. Are they actually "better"? If
so, what do they do that the top load units don't?

I replaced my 29 yr. old Kenmore washer a year ago, with another Kenmore
top loader; after reading all the spec's at the Sears web site and
other places, on both types.

I think everyone has pointed out the differences to consider. As for me
I couldn't see a big advantage to a front loader, especially for the
price difference. I bought a larger unit to wash fewer loads. The
energy guide said it would cost $32 a year to operate [with 8 loads a
week]. As for the water consumption, I didn't think that would make
much difference in my household. And it is so quiet.

And besides that, I like the look of the boxes vs the laundromat look.
My w/d are black. Purely personal factors all, only you can decide.
bj
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
I barely hear the thing running except when it draws water. When standing
near the machine, I notice no vibration at all.

what type of floor is it on?

Cement. When I mentioned vibration, I was referring to what the machine
itself feels like. My old machine was so badly balanced that it walked
across the floor during the wash cycle occasionally, and it had nothing to
do with how the thing was loaded with clothes.

Steven M. Scharf

"Ian" wrote in message
. ..
What is it about the front load washers that makes then twice the price of
the top load units?

The price.

I'm old enough to remember when all residential washers were front load. I
think they went to top load because it was less expensive to manufacture,
due to no need to seal the door against leakage. Also, the older
front-loaders were lower capacity.

I'm trying to cut through the sales talk. Are they actually "better"?

If
so, what do they do that the top load units don't?

The lack of an agitator is gentler on the clothes, and the front loaders use
less water. However the first of the new generation of front-loaders, the
Maytag's, brought he Maytag repairman out of retirement!

What most people don't know, is that you can buy a commercial front loader
for not much more than the overpriced residential front loaders. When I
bought my last washing machine, I bought a commercial Speed Queen top
loader, and it was $600, and the smallest commercial front loader was $1100.
The advantage of a commercial machine in a residential environment is that
it is unlikely to ever require service.

Doug Kanter

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote in message
hlink.net...

The advantage of a commercial machine in a residential environment is that
it is unlikely to ever require service.

What if you run out of quarters???

"Is this an audience or an oil painting?" - Henny Youngman

David Starr

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 17:12:41 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf"
wrote:

The advantage of a commercial machine in a residential environment is that
it is unlikely to ever require service.

I've got a GE commercial gas dryer I bought used 25 years ago. I hane no idea
how old it actually is. So far, I've had to replace the drum slides, the drive
belt, and the ignitor & ignitor clip. I'll keep it.

Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant.
Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography
www.destarr.com
Dr. Hardcrab

"David Starr" wrote

I've got a GE commercial gas dryer I bought used 25 years ago. I hane no
idea
how old it actually is. So far, I've had to replace the drum slides, the
drive
belt, and the ignitor & ignitor clip. I'll keep it.

You got an Edsel in the driveway too???

;-]

Doug Kanter

"Ian" wrote in message
. ..
What is it about the front load washers that makes then twice the price of
the top load units?

I'm trying to cut through the sales talk. Are they actually "better"?
If so, what do they do that the top load units don't?

Thanks,

Ian

I'll add one more thing. When the appliance dealer delivered my refrigerator
(a really big one), one guy unloaded it from the back of the truck himself,
gently and quickly. Very impressive. He told his partner he preferred to do
it alone for some reason. Everything went smoothly.

When the same two guys delivered the washer and dryer, they had a devil of a
time getting the washer in the house and into the cellar. They both
commented that for whatever reason, some front loading washers are a bitch
to move, compared with top loaders. If you buy a front loader and intend to
bring it home and install it yourself, you might want to have more than one
helper around, just in case, and depending on your physical condition.

William Brown

wrote:

What is it about the front load washers that makes then twice the price of
the top load units?

I'm trying to cut through the sales talk. Are they actually "better"? If
so, what do they do that the top load units don't?

Thanks,

Ian

If you are looking for "better", check out a Fisher & Paykel machine.
They are top loaders, but have all the advantages of a front loader.
They also have a direct drive, which means no transmission to break.
The final spin-dry cycle spins at something like 1000 rpm, leaving the
clothes almost dry when they come out, which means you run the dryer a
lot less, saving further energy.

http://usa.fisherpaykel.com/model_ov...E5C08AD4C89AAE

This isn't some new company, either. These machines have been around
for many years in Europe and Asia. The price is comparable to a good
conventional top loader.

rusty redcloud

They still have an agitator, don't they? I had understood that lack of
an agitator was one of the big advantages of the front-loaders, as your
fabrics suffer less wear without the agitator, so they last longer.
Rick

wrote:

[...]

That's a lot of hooey. There's nothing gentle about being
dropped 2 or 3 feet hundreds of times (and spun at 1000
RPM) every wash cycle.

Doug Kanter

ink.net...

wrote:

[...]

My machine rotates the drum very gently, almost to the point where, when I
first got it, I wondered if it would actually get things clean. It does.
And, the spin cycle is adjustable. For towels, I select warp speed. For
pretty much everything else, normal or gentle. No problems with clothing
showing premature wear.

zxcvbob

wrote:

[...]

It's a big deal when you are washing a quilt or something really big and
bulky like that. If it can't circulate in a toploader, the agitator can
wear a hole in the fabric in just one washing.

Bob
Douglas Johnson

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote:

The lack of an agitator is gentler on the clothes, and the front loaders use
less water. However the first of the new generation of front-loaders, the
Maytag's, brought he Maytag repairman out of retirement!

We bought the first generation of the Maytag Neptune in 1997 or 98. This one
has the mechanical controls and has run flawlessly. We bought it because it
seemed to be better built than the top-of-the-line top loader.

There were screws where the top loader had clips, there were screw clamps where
the top loader had spring clamps, stainless steel where the top loader had
plastic, and generally beefier components.

Absolutely no regrets.

-- Doug

Joshua Putnam

In article , "Ian"
says...
What is it about the front load washers that makes then twice the price of
the top load units?

I'm trying to cut through the sales talk. Are they actually "better"? If
so, what do they do that the top load units don't?

We have an LG Tromm front-loader that's both washer and dryer in one
unit. We first looked at it to save space, which it certainly does,
but it has other benefits, too.

It uses very little water, especially on less-soiled cycles. Unlike
some front-loaders, the water level never gets above the door seal,
so you can stop it and add something mid-load.

It uses a different drying system than a standard tumble-dry machine,
the clothes aren't continuously tumbled and don't fray off gobs of
lint in every load. The other advantage of the drying system is that
it doesn't need a blower vent, the water vapor is condensed and goes
down the drain.

It has a range of spin speeds -- on the slowest setting it's gentle
enough for heirloom patchwork quilts, at 1100RPM it gets towels
almost dry enough to use without the dry cycle. And it's direct
drive so it's very quiet. Ours is on the second floor of a 100-year-
old house, simple wood plank flooring, 2x8 joists on 24" centers
spanning 16 feet, so the floor is limber by modern standards, but you
can't hear the washer running immediately below it in the living
room.

It's extremely energy efficient compared to the traditional top-load
washer and front-load dryer it replaced. It doesn't even use 240V
for the dryer, a standard 110/10A outlet is plenty.

It has a "sanitary" cycle, with an internal heater that boosts the
wash water to 167F. Great for my clothes after working in the
crawlspace that used to be infested with stray cats ;-)

My favorite feature is that, since it's washer and dryer in one, you
don't have to come back after the wash starts and put everything in
the dryer. Load the washer, start it, and come back to a load of
clean, dry clothes ready to put away.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/

We have an LG Tromm front-loader that's both washer and dryer in one

How much does this unit cost?

And where did you buy it in the US?
Curly Sue

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 21:05:30 -0700, Joshua Putnam
wrote:

We have an LG Tromm front-loader that's both washer and dryer in one
unit. We first looked at it to save space, which it certainly does,
but it has other benefits, too.

It uses very little water, especially on less-soiled cycles. Unlike
some front-loaders, the water level never gets above the door seal,
so you can stop it and add something mid-load.

It uses a different drying system than a standard tumble-dry machine,
the clothes aren't continuously tumbled and don't fray off gobs of
lint in every load. The other advantage of the drying system is that
it doesn't need a blower vent, the water vapor is condensed and goes
down the drain.

If the dryer doesn't tumble, do the clothes come out wrinkled? I
stayed at a friend's house in Germany years ago and observed the
effects of a non-tumbling dryer. I was horrified at the baked-in
wrinkles. I can deal with lint. Ironing, not so much.

Sue(tm)