Default screen porch flooring revisited

I had a question out here last week about overlaying a deteriorating screen
porch floor. The floor is 14'x14', so just under 200sf. It occurred to me
tonight that boats have floors that are exposed to even worse weather
conditions, so I'm wondering if anyone would mind shooting holes in my idea
of using teak that's properly sealed for a marine use. I've found material
on the web that ranges mostly from 2.60 to 4.00 / sf, though some goes much
higher. I think I'd end up with one gorgeous floor, but is there a
downside? Mahogany doesn't cost substantially more, so is there an
advantage to one wood over another, or is it color preference at that point?

thanks,

longshot

although it would probably hold up fine , i bet you will have a refinishing
nightmare on your hands, about every year or 2

JMO
Rob

That's a consideration, but people deck sailboats with teak and mahogany.
I'm near the coast, so I think I'll take a ride this weekend and talk to
some people in marinas about what materials they use. I'm hoping that
they'll introduce me to some marine-grade coating that's up to the task, or
maybe they'll tell me to leave it au-naturel.

Maybe not. Does anyone know if teak decks require more maintenance than
others? Less? About the same?

"longshot" wrote in message
news89ne.24894$g66.4753@attbi_s71...
although it would probably hold up fine , i bet you will have a
refinishing nightmare on your hands, about every year or 2

JMO
Rob

ameijers

"k" wrote in message
link.net...
That's a consideration, but people deck sailboats with teak and mahogany.
I'm near the coast, so I think I'll take a ride this weekend and talk to
some people in marinas about what materials they use. I'm hoping that
they'll introduce me to some marine-grade coating that's up to the task,

or
maybe they'll tell me to leave it au-naturel.

Maybe not. Does anyone know if teak decks require more maintenance than
others? Less? About the same?

There is a reason only rich-people yachts use teak for any exterior
surfaces, and it ain't the cost of the wood. With old finishes, at least,
upkeep was bitch. (see 'spar varnish') Modern urethane finishes are more
durable, but still less so than inherently weatherproof materials. For wood
with low upkeep, need something that can stay naked, like cedar, redwood, or
one of the exotic (at least in CONUS) oily tropical woods. Personally, for a
screen porch, I'd go with something set'n'forget like a synthetic or tile or
something, but that is just me. (Only so many years left, and a chore list
that will never be finished anyway, so no need to add more.)

aem sends....