Silencer

Default Spa Wiring Project

Here is what I have:
I have a brand new Sq.D 200 amp Homeline panel installed in my garage.
I have an available 50 amp breaker.

What I plan to do is run 1" UV-resistant 41UM Rigid PVC along the foundation
above grade for a distance of 50 feet
to a Sq. D. Spa Panel using four strands of #6.
Anyone with a license see any problems with my conduit or wire sizing????
I plan to have a separate 5/8" copper ground rod just for the spa.

zxcvbob

Silencer wrote:

Here is what I have:
I have a brand new Sq.D 200 amp Homeline panel installed in my garage.
I have an available 50 amp breaker.

What I plan to do is run 1" UV-resistant 41UM Rigid PVC along the foundation
above grade for a distance of 50 feet
to a Sq. D. Spa Panel using four strands of #6.
Anyone with a license see any problems with my conduit or wire sizing????
I plan to have a separate 5/8" copper ground rod just for the spa.

I guess I can't answer your question because I don't have a license.

Does the spa actually need a neutral wire? (maybe for a light or a
convenience outlet)

You never said how many amps the spa draws, which is important for
figuring the voltage drop.

Best regards,
Bob
Silencer

zxcvbob wrote in
:

Silencer wrote:

Here is what I have:
I have a brand new Sq.D 200 amp Homeline panel installed in my
garage. I have an available 50 amp breaker.

What I plan to do is run 1" UV-resistant 41UM Rigid PVC along the
foundation above grade for a distance of 50 feet
to a Sq. D. Spa Panel using four strands of #6.
Anyone with a license see any problems with my conduit or wire
sizing???? I plan to have a separate 5/8" copper ground rod just for
the spa.

I guess I can't answer your question because I don't have a license.

Does the spa actually need a neutral wire? (maybe for a light or a
convenience outlet)

You never said how many amps the spa draws, which is important for
figuring the voltage drop.

Best regards,
Bob

It appears to me the spa needs four wires.
The unit draws 40 amps.
Doug Miller

In article , "Silencer" wrote:
Here is what I have:
I have a brand new Sq.D 200 amp Homeline panel installed in my garage.
I have an available 50 amp breaker.

What I plan to do is run 1" UV-resistant 41UM Rigid PVC along the foundation
above grade for a distance of 50 feet
to a Sq. D. Spa Panel using four strands of #6.
Anyone with a license see any problems with my conduit or wire sizing????

You haven't provided enough information for anyone, licensed or not, to answer
that question.

Specifically, it's necessary to know the wire type (THHN, THW, RHW, etc) and
the amperage required by the spa, before you can determine if #6 wire in a 1"
conduit is appropriate.

--
Regards,

tom

No license either, but a couple of things I know, after installing
mine. The breaker must be at least 5 feet away from the spa, and within
sight of the spa. So if you can see the 200 amp panel from the spa, you
shouldn't need a separate box for the install, right? The breaker must
be a GFI-type. Your wire gauge seems good to go. Your conduit must be
anchored, what, every 8 feet? Could be less... Again- I am NOT
licensed! Tom

Rudy

"Silencer" wrote in message
Here is what I have:
I have a brand new Sq.D 200 amp Homeline panel installed in my garage.
I have an available 50 amp breaker.

I used a two pole 50A GFI breaker.
Mine needed 4 wire as the heater/pumps ran on 240V but the light and control
panel ran on 120

What I plan to do is run 1" UV-resistant 41UM Rigid PVC along the
foundation
above grade for a distance of 50 feet
to a Sq. D. Spa Panel using four strands of #6.
Anyone with a license see any problems with my conduit or wire sizing????
I plan to have a separate 5/8" copper ground rod just for the spa.

John Gilmer

I plan to have a separate 5/8" copper ground rod just for the spa.

I hope you meant an "ADDITIONAL" ground rod.

You spa ground must still be connected (bonded?) to the main service ground.

The purpose of an "additional" ground is to provide a return path to ground
for some "stray" voltages. It helps ensure that there is no significant
voltage difference between, say, your grill and the frame of the spa.

Wes Stewart

On 26 May 2005 15:37:16 -0500, "Silencer" wrote:

Here is what I have:
I have a brand new Sq.D 200 amp Homeline panel installed in my garage.
I have an available 50 amp breaker.

What I plan to do is run 1" UV-resistant 41UM Rigid PVC along the foundation
above grade for a distance of 50 feet
to a Sq. D. Spa Panel using four strands of #6.
Anyone with a license see any problems with my conduit or wire sizing????
I plan to have a separate 5/8" copper ground rod just for the spa.

Coupla points in adddition to what has already been said. I maybe
wrong (always a distinct possibility) but isn't UM41 water pipe? You
should be using schedule 80 conduit.

At least in the AZ sun, pvc conduit is going to look like a snake
after a while. I would (and did) consider burying it. The
underground part could be schedule 40 then.

If you're using THHN, the usual Home Depot stuff, then 6 AWG should do
it even when derated for temperature, assuming that your spa is like
mine, rated as a 40A load.

Conduit big enough to meet the code for the number and size of
conductors and conduit big enough to actully pull the wire through are
two different things especially if you have any bends.